Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Running waiver claim thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
What is a realistic trade package for the Cubs to give up for Hamels?

Unless Hamels has a favorable contract for at least two to three years, I don't see why the Cubs would trade a prospect or two when they can sign one of about 10 good free agent pitchers in this offseason

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Freedom Card Board mobile app

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Unless Hamels has a favorable contract for at least two to three years, I don't see why the Cubs would trade a prospect or two when they can sign one of about 10 good free agent pitchers in this offseason

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Freedom Card Board mobile app

He does NOT have a favorable contract, looking at 4 years and $90 million. Hamels scares and excites me as an option for the Cubs. The scary part is the contract and his previous health issues. The exciting part is that he would instantly bring some respectability to the pitching staff AND, big AND, how much easier will it be to convince Scherzer, or Shields, or Lester, or a combination of 2 of them to join the Cubs if they already have Hamels on the staff? I think MUCH easier. If they can get Hamels, and sign Lester, Hamels, Lester, and Arrieta is pretty dang good 1st 3 of the rotation. A man can dream. Oh, and I would trade Almora in heart beat to get him.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Hopefully they will get a pitcher or 2 back from the Cubs as Hamels will be the 3rd starter the Phillies have lost this week, if the deal goes through. Go Phillies!

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Angels acquire Vinnie Pestano from the Indians after claiming him

And it's official, the cubs were awarded the waiver claim on Hamels and they now have about two days to work out a deal

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Hamels is staying, the Phillies pulled him back after they couldn't get a deal done with the Cubs.

Curtis Granderson, Craig Breslow and Kelly Johnson have been placed on waivers

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Significant trades on the waiver wire don't happen very often. Last one was AGonzalez and Beckett in 2012. Not sure why everyone is all worked up. A lot of stars have been exposed to the waiver wire at some pt. Yet everyone seems shocked it happens.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Ichiro and Brendan Ryan also placed on by Yanks

Significant trades on the waiver wire don't happen very often. Last one was AGonzalez and Beckett in 2012. Not sure why everyone is all worked up. A lot of stars have been exposed to the waiver wire at some pt. Yet everyone seems shocked it happens.

I don't think anyone is worked up, it's just another fun part of baseball to follow, and see what happens, another trade deadline kinda thing

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
No worries. I just see too many stories out there that blow things out of proportion. Waiver deals are not a simple as some people might think. For the most part teams use it to try and unload some bad deals (see Jays & Alex Rios).

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Dodgers traded with Twins for P Kevin Correia and will send a PTBNL or cash considerations.

I hope the Dodgers are going to unload some cash to the Phillies and Twins rather than have to send 3 players their way.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I don't think anyone is worked up, it's just another fun part of baseball to follow, and see what happens, another trade deadline kinda thing

I think they get worked up because they don't realize August waivers are usually revocable waivers.

Wouldn't August be much more fun if it was not revocable waivers?

BTW, why is the waiver list/claims not more transparent than as observed through certain transactions or thru reporting by various MLB team beat writers and rightsholders? you know waivers have to be involved when someone is DFA'ed, but you usually don't know if the player cleared waivers or was claimed until you see a followup transaction of that player becoming a free agent, being outrighted to the minor leagues, or a claiming team added that player to their organization.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Teams flood the waiver wire to try and slip some guys through. Pretty much everyone gets put on waivers. This is not posted since the list would be several pages long. Might be an internal thing at the MLB head office?

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Teams flood the waiver wire to try and slip some guys through. Pretty much everyone gets put on waivers. This is not posted since the list would be several pages long. Might be an internal thing at the MLB head office?

To prove your point...

Gio Gonzalez and Ian Desmond cleared while Bryce Harper and Steven Strasburg were claimed and then pulled back
Curtis Granderson and Jon Niese also cleared

Latest posts