Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

We have our first winner - TTT Community Tournament - Congratulations Zan!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Wow, tight one. I think that the edge went to the Hosmer when you count the votes in the thread along with the poll that was setup.

Final first round bracket coming up soon.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
If I got it right, here is where we are:

attachment.php

The final first round match up pits a pair of patch cards:

From [MENTION=3275]Lancemountain[/MENTION] we get a beauty of an All Star triple patch of Chase Utley 9/9
attachment.php

And I am submitting a Clay Buchholz patch /3
attachment.php

We will be adding a poll to the voting, so please vote there.

Lancemountain - Let us know why you picked your card.

Attachments

• Topps Triple Threads.jpg
    Topps Triple Threads.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 69
  • lancemountain.JPG
    lancemountain.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 69
  • Buchholz TTT.JPG
    Buchholz TTT.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 71

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I submitted the Buchholz patch as I used to collect Buchholz autos, but picked this patch up in a team break. I collected him because I was looking for a Red Sox player that 1) was under team control for several more years (at the time) 2) was not ridiculously expensive to PC 3) I thought would get a good mix of autos over time and 4) didn't suck.

Well, 3 of those 4 worked out to be true. I stopped buying his stuff about 2 years ago but still have a large collection of his autos. At the moment I am trying to decide what to do with the collection.

All of the above is true, but I also like this card because as a Red Sox fan, I think it it pretty cool to have a patch with some of the team name.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
When I first got back into the hobby (2006) I was literally shocked at what was going on. There were so many more parallels and inserts and of course game used stuff. I kept to Phillies set building of just Topps and really enjoyed all the colors in bowman and topps chrome. Jump a few years and Utley, who was my favorite player since Von Hayes was just starting to really get a serious career going. I "discovered" triple threads in 2008 and actually started a set of every relic card. I abandoned that and sold it all off a few years later. I found this card BIN for $100 and really wasn't sure if it was real. I asked the board here (I had never spent that much on a modern card before) and a member here showed a similar card of Mike Lowell and so I bought it. I've since been able to purchase another Utley card with more of the same patch but this is my first high end modern card purchased and will be the last one sold off if I ever decide (have no plans ATM) This card hooked me in hardcore into the hobby and modern collecting so it also has that going for it. I'd love to get as many of the /9 of this card as possible but I've only ever seen 4 and the other two are locked up in set collectors.

Really love the card, the patch is great and it's the best modern Phillies card that I own.

As a phillies fan, utley fan and card collector I feel very lucky I am able to call this card my own.

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
Woah...nice cards to finish round 1. While the Bucholtz card is quite nice aesthetically in it's own right and is #'d to 3, I am going to have to go for the Utley on this one. #'d to 9 is still pretty SSP and the fact that it has some serious logo patches really helps. Add the fact that the color of the card really works well with the patches themselves and you have a very attractive card.

My vote is for Chase Utley. Great stuff!!!

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
This was a tough choice for me. I like both reasons why both cards were posted, and they both have nice patches as well. I typically favor larger window patches, but due to the sleeve patch in the Utley I have voted for that one.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Don't get me wrong, I love my Red Sox patches. But, even I think the Utley card is a better over all card. It is just better looking.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
I vote for the Buccholz.

Not a fan of the large amount of red-orange blank space on the Utley. Even with the Buccholz having teal green that doesn't match the color scheme of anything related to him, the card, or the Red Sox, I'd rather have a mis-matched background color than too much negative space.

Last edited:

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
I think the Buchholz is much nicer looking card, but as a life-long Yankees fan I can't vote for it. Ha!
My vote is for Utley.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Ill go with the Clay , the action image pushed it over the top. Had the Utley either had a large patch window instead of broken up or an action image it coulda got it. But the Clay picture with a nice patch takes it.

Ryan

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Sometimes less is more but not on the Utley card. I like the patch because of the All Star designation. They could have put a Phillies logo on it and made the All Star Game logo larger. Nice 3 patch card though.

The Bucholtz card is from a rather bland TTT release. Through no fault of the card owners, the "E" patch is upside down, but not sure many noticed it. There are only 3 of them and who knows where the other two are (sealed boxes in a warehouse at D&A's?). There is action though on the card and little to no dead space. It has a lot better eye appeal then the Utley.

Bucholtz +1 for me.

Fordman

Members online

Latest posts