Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Card knowledge "youngin's" don't know

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Post some card knowledge newbies probably don't know.

Here's a few...

In the 80s, topps would sell certain dealers massive count card lots of every player. Want 5000 1987 Ruben Sierra cards direct from topps? No problem, but your also had to buy 5000 of every other card in the set.

Rack packs and cello packs with hot stars or rookies showing on top used to bring a nice premium and people actually
Sought after them.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I have a few early 90's BBCMs with ads touting the extremely limited Classic cards, which were bound to be the next hot money maker in the hobby. Extremely limited, with a print run of just 100,000 to 150,000. When 1/1s are the norm, the concept of a rare card having a print run of 100K is foreign to any collecter under the age of 25 or so.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
One thing I think that may have been lost to time is that 1984 donruss was once considered to be rare and was big premium to both topps and fleer. For example I remember the 1984 topps mattingly selling for $20, the fleer for $35 or so and the Donruss went for $80. It wasn't until 1988 that donruss really lost it's mystique of being a premium brand in my opinion. Also I think it's easy to forget how insanely hot 1991 topps Stadium Club and 1990 leaf were.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Sales Tax. I had a card dealer at one time that didn't charge his customers sales tax. I loved buying packs as a kid but he had rough times once the IRS started asking questions.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
There was a time the internet didn't exist and base cards would sell for a premium. lol
With your point about no Internet makes me thing of those small price books pre-Beckett. I would use for references and checklist. They were basically a list of all the cards in a set before inserts, parallels. G/U and autos.

lambert58

Sep 29, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Also I think it's easy to forget how insanely hot 1991 topps Stadium Club and 1990 leaf were.

Also 1992 Bowman....their FIRST premium set (not including back in he 50's)

Another one is that "book value" actually meant something. Like was mentioned the internet killed (also helped in other ways) part of the hobby & book value. But back then I remember getting a hot card at 50% book was a steal.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Also 1992 Bowman....their FIRST premium set (not including back in he 50's)

Another one is that "book value" actually meant something. Like was mentioned the internet killed (also helped in other ways) part of the hobby & book value. But back then I remember getting a hot card at 50% book was a steal.
shindersx.jpg

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
1981 was a very important year, because the evil empire Topps lost its monopoly in the world of licensed baseball cards, meaning collectors finally had the ability to make a choice in how they spent their money in regards to licensed baseball cards...umm...nevermnd.

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
How about hand writing wantlists? The only way you could find card numbers was using annual Beckett or the alphabetical checklist they put out. Research was really research.

Last edited:

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
At one time Topps sued Fleer for wanting to put gum in their packs. Topps said it was the gum kids were after. :eek: Fleer tried putting cookies in packs instead of gum.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
To redeem a redemption you had to hand write your information and snail mail it in. I can't remember if it was just for Canada or not, but you also had to do a quick math problem too.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
1990 leaf was $7 a pack, insane!!
I didn't have the griffey for 12 years because it booked at $20 or more. And I didn't jump on this Internet thing early enough to get in with the big boys.

DaveH

Apr 28, 2009
I remember when Jose Cruz Jr and JD Drew were so hot that their names would be on posters outside of card shops.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
10,000 copies was "limited".

1991+Donruss+Elite+B.jpg

These Elite Series cards are serial numbered to just 10,000 copies. That’s not a typo, that really reads TEN THOUSAND. But while such a number would constitute overproduction in this era of cards, that was considered ultra rare at the time. (Side note: If the toughest inserts were serial to 10,000, imagine how many cases of this product were made.)

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Rack packs were called "rak paks" and usually had 40 plus cards.

Jumbo packs had 100 cards and were generally sold in supermarkets

Cello packs had over 30 cards and regular packs were called wax packs.

There was no "hobby" or "retail" designation.

Whenever you bought a wax pack, you were basically GUARANTEED to have the bottom card ruined by a stain in every pack.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
To redeem a redemption you had to hand write your information and snail mail it in. I can't remember if it was just for Canada or not, but you also had to do a quick math problem too.

Canadians had to do a Math problem, here is/was UD's Mail In Redemption address
1997toppsMit1998StarsandSteel041_zps21580843.jpg

Members online

Latest posts