Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Expired Babe Ruth cut auto redemption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Beckett just posted an interview with a collector who found a redemption (non expired) for a Ruth cut auto in a pack.

So it got me thinking, what happens when someone finds a similar card which has already expired.

Imagine if you bought a few years old pack and found it and after calling topps get told "sorry it expired"

How would you handle it?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

petesahuttt

Sep 15, 2010
I'd be upset and I would also wonder who got that Ruth cut auto as a replacement, also I would request their contact info to confirm that they actually made the card.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
Not quite at the same level but I pulled a redemption for a 1954 reproduction Hank Aaron autograph that had been expired for a year and I called topps and they said "sorry it's expired" so I didn't send it in. I always wondered if I should have persued it further but at the time I just chalked it up to bad luck. I mean what can you do? If they aren't going to honor it I figured there weren't any other options. This also was before redemptions were quite so prevelant though.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
Redemptions shouldn't expire and they really shouldn't even be in packs. If the player does not sign for the product change the autographs in the boxes. If people who bought don't like the autographs they could pull refund their money.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Wow, this would be terrible.

It does make you think... we laugh about old wax for sale and some of us even enjoy '90s box breaks, etc. - that won't be possible in the future. Our kids won't be sitting around in 2028 buying up boxes of 2011, 2012 and 2013 Topps product to do a throwback box break lol... they'd be opening up boxes and boxes and boxes of redemptions which are long expired!

Sad to think about that but it's true.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
they should just make a product with all the expired redemption hits and put them all in packs
This would actually be a pretty cool product IMO. Call it like 2014 Topps Vault or something... have it be all expired redemption hits from products going back as far as they have them lol

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I'd be upset and I would also wonder who got that Ruth cut auto as a replacement, also I would request their contact info to confirm that they actually made the card.

For the crazy 1/1 chase cut auto cards like this I doubt they even make the card until somebody redeems the redemption card. That way if nobody redeems it within 3 years or whatever they just saved thousands of dollars on buying a Ruth auto to put in the card.

Otherwise why would it even be a redemption card...it's not like they need to wait for The Babe to send in his auto stickers. Topps is betting that some of these 1/1 chase cards won't be redeemed before they expire, then they don't even have to spend money to buy autographs they advertised as being in the product.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
For the crazy 1/1 chase cut auto cards like this I doubt they even make the card until somebody redeems the redemption card. That way if nobody redeems it within 3 years or whatever they just saved thousands of dollars on buying a Ruth auto to put in the card.

Otherwise why would it even be a redemption card...it's not like they need to wait for The Babe to send in his auto stickers. Topps is betting that some of these 1/1 chase cards won't be redeemed before they expire, then they don't even have to spend money to buy autographs they advertised as being in the product.
I subscribe to this same train of thought... why make the card until someone actually redeems it? I mean as you indicated, they could just advertise some crazy chase card and if someone does pull it and redeems it, then they can take their good ol' time getting the item and sending it off... sad but true.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
A conspiracy theorist would say that the reason why some crazy expensive cut auto would be a redemption is so a company might not have to actually make the card.

That company might say that for a card of that value and prestige, it's better off not being in a pack.

Who do you believe.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
A conspiracy theorist would say that the reason why some crazy expensive cut auto would be a redemption is so a company might not have to actually make the card.

That company might say that for a card of that value and prestige, it's better off not being in a pack.

Who do you believe.

If it was already made and it was not some oversized card, why wouldn't they just put it in a pack? Because of the value? That's already been passed onto the customer, so they shouldn't care.

In other news, do you think Topps lurks on boards like this and also scans eBay for sales of cards, etc.? Sometimes I wonder if they do either of these things.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
If it was already made and it was not some oversized card, why wouldn't they just put it in a pack? Because of the value? That's already been passed onto the customer, so they shouldn't care.

In other news, do you think Topps lurks on boards like this and also scans eBay for sales of cards, etc.? Sometimes I wonder if they do either of these things.

Topps does not care enough to take the time to do redemptions right, why would they waste their time lurking boards and watching Ebay?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

Who do you believe.

I hate when it's suggested that because someone is cynical, or because they are a glass half empty type of person, they are considered a conspiracy theorist. IMO, when it comes to any business or big company, whatever seems like it would save them the most money...customer be damned...is probably being done. Anyone who is sitting around thinking any company trying to make money isn't pulling as much crap as possible is really naive.

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
The person he is talking about flew out to Dallas to have her Ruth card graded. She is a friend of mine. Did pretty well on the grading.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
The person he is talking about flew out to Dallas to have her Ruth card graded. She is a friend of mine. Did pretty well on the grading.
Wait, you know the person mentioned in the OP? After she received the cut, she flew to Dallas to get it graded?!

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I think they're pretty much making sets of expired redemptions, considering how many redemptions go unfulfilled. They just don't tell you that ahead of time.

There's a dealer here in central Texas who pulled a Ruth autograph card out of 2005 tribute or something like that, except it was just the card and no auto. The back says,"Congrats you found a Ruth auto blahblah" and it's designed on the front like it is supposed to be for a cut, but there is no window where it would show the auto. He went back and forth with Topps for a while trying to get them to actually make the card for him, but of course they wouldn't. He still carries it in his display case, AFAIK, and it's kind of sad. Obviously it's a test print or backup or something that shouldn't have been packed out, but he's convinced he's owed a Ruth auto.

Members online

Latest posts