Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
He has a Upper Deck A Ramirez that is punched too that that shoulda been /10...??? Are these Finest embossed or not, they def have the die cut. I agree they really wouldn't need help selling, and actually the 4 or so they had woulda sold for more. Not sure about the punch these though. Almost seem with the Aramis it was a replacement that was punched then can't say on these. Has Topps ever punched a Sample?

Ryan

Definitely look embossed and deckled. Can't imagine the logic in punching it to "proof" it to just then sell for less than the original. Have no clue on precedent with Topps and punching. It's an interesting wrinkle and the first example of non -standard pack issues with both embossing and die cut. I've only ever had/seen the straight cut versions.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
Logically though, if you had proofs in a set that didn't carry a serial number, you'd have to do something to differentiate it. Damage replacement issues etc. can be identified by the lack of serial # which is obviously not possible with this set and other serial proofs again would have a lack thereoff or *** identifier.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Definitely look embossed and deckled. Can't imagine the logic in punching it to "proof" it to just then sell for less than the original. Have no clue on precedent with Topps and punching. It's an interesting wrinkle and the first example of non -standard pack issues with both embossing and die cut. I've only ever had/seen the straight cut versions.

Look embossed to me too. Seller said they came from the company who did the embossing, etc. I have no reason to doubt that, as I agree the value would be greater not punched. I just also haven't seen proofs, etc. with the deckled edge.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
They very well could be legit. Maybe the embosser needed to send Topps Samples or they were playing around with the embossing and they punched them as they went through test runs. That Ramirez being punched by the same seller is a lil' odd but who knows.

Ryan

viper

Dec 12, 2015
Ohio
Some pickups that arrived today

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    718.6 KB · Views: 228

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
I bought the RJ for $100. The hole is very odd, but it's got the deckle & emboss so I went with it. George is right, if a genuine one every showed up it would be $300+, so a $200 discount for a nice hole is good enough for me.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
I bought the RJ for $100. The hole is very odd, but it's got the deckle & emboss so I went with it. George is right, if a genuine one every showed up it would be $300+, so a $200 discount for a nice hole is good enough for me.

Yep, I picked up the Belle and thought the exact same thing. That card is one of my most wanted and I'll settle for one with a big hole until a regular copy comes up.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
Yep, I picked up the Belle and thought the exact same thing. That card is one of my most wanted and I'll settle for one with a big hole until a regular copy comes up.

Sold mine to [MENTION=2418]George_Calfas[/MENTION] years ago

1997 Topps Finest Embossed Refractor Die-Cut #347 - Albert Belle
Purchased for $10.00
Courtesy of COMC.com

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
After a several month dry spell on RJ inserts I finally hit a nice run of 4 or 5 needed cards (see my SCA), this being my most wanted of the bunch. A quintessential harder-to-find-than-the-serial-number-suggests card. I lack only a handful of ~#/100 cards from 1999 & 2000.

Attachments

• 20160509_181413.jpg
    20160509_181413.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 38

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
GCs got all the cool stuff. If anyone has another copy floating around I'd definitely be interested...

Edit: was that the sale on comc or another sale?

Last edited:

Members online