Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My Line-Up Card Collection - 12/29/2019 - Pedro 1st win

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
My Line-Up Card Collection - New additions 5/11/2017

This one is a bit interesting. It's from 1953
reds and is unsigned but is supposedly written by Rogers Hornsby who was the manager then. I compared the handwriting and am fairly comfortable that it was written by Hornsby although I may send it to PSA to confirm.

26b19444b1db57e6ed93b495c495db5b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I have lineup cards of back to back games between MN and BAL with Puckett and Ripken playing. I was always skeptical because they weren't signed, but I'd be curious to see other verified MN lineup cards to see if the writing matches Tom Kelly.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I have lineup cards of back to back games between MN and BAL with Puckett and Ripken playing. I was always skeptical because they weren't signed, but I'd be curious to see other verified MN lineup cards to see if the writing matches Tom Kelly.

There are some managers who never/rarely signed their line-up cards. There are others who (at least at times) had someone else sign their name. This seems to be the case with Leo Durocher unfortunately.

Comparing handwriting is usually fairly easy in these cases because there are quite a few names on the cards, and there is no real reason to assume anyone was trying to imitate anyone else's handwriting as even today these barely qualify as collectibles outside of lineup cards from very significant games.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Was able to snag a lineup card from longtime Dodgers HOF manager Walter Alston. I'd love to upgrade this one day to end earlier card from the Jackie Robinson days, but happy to have this one.

The second card is from the Braves and while Lum Harris is not a well known manager (I had heard of him because he fought in WWII and that's another area of my collection but his MLB career as a player and manager was not hugely memorable) but I thought having a card with Hank Aaron (card also has Orlando Cepeda) was pretty cool.

b52abbb46269ae57abe5e4834096ffa2.jpg

86950fd5425cd26017592b8797428380.jpg

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
No idea why for Aaron the manager felt the need to put a first initial, as if people wouldn't know which Aaron he meant lol.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Line-up

Really liked viewing your ongoing collection of team line-ups. Especially like the '57 Orioles as Richards was such a great baseball guy. I have absolutely zero line-ups and wonder why I have never sought these in the past. Makes for a great display and collectible.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Really liked viewing your ongoing collection of team line-ups. Especially like the '57 Orioles as Richards was such a great baseball guy. I have absolutely zero line-ups and wonder why I have never sought these in the past. Makes for a great display and collectible.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Every Orioles guy I speak to seems to have loved Richards. I had a couple of others signed by him that were not PC and someone grabbed them almost immediately when I offered them for sale. (At least one is now up on eBay from the buyer I believe).

What was it about Richards that made him such a favorite?

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Picked up this Gil Hodges carbon copy. I generally stick to the top copy, and to Hall of Famers but this was too nice to pass on.

Hodges, Gil Carbon 1965.jpg

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Hasn't been much available over the last little while, but was pretty excited to come across this one. Line-up card from Tom Glavine's 1st career win (2nd career start)

1987 - Glavine First Win 8-22-1987.jpg

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
I like that Braves lineup card. Nice! Can't beleive it's been over 30 years since Glavine won his 1st game. I like to look at the lineup cards and see if I remember the players first names. What is Blauser's 1st name? lol.:confused:

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I like that Braves lineup card. Nice! Can't beleive it's been over 30 years since Glavine won his 1st game. I like to look at the lineup cards and see if I remember the players first names. What is Blauser's 1st name? lol.:confused:

Haha...

I actually recall Jeff Blauser, but not too many others.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Oh come on, Ken Oberkfell, Gerald Perry, Dale Murphy, Ken Griffey Sr, Ozzie Virgil, Glenn Hubbard....don't get me started on the pitchers, lol

Very awesome collection tho! Do you know of any other line up card collectors?

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Oh come on, Ken Oberkfell, Gerald Perry, Dale Murphy, Ken Griffey Sr, Ozzie Virgil, Glenn Hubbard....don't get me started on the pitchers, lol

Very awesome collection tho! Do you know of any other line up card collectors?

To be fair, I was not 6 months old when this game happened...

I know of one other guy who collected Tigers lineup cards pretty heavily and a few team collectors who picked up a few but no one who has made it a focus like I have to this point.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Been picking up lineup cards from World Series winning seasons when I get a chance. These are nice because I think that Scioscia has a shot at the HOF as well.

2002 Angels - Mike Scioscia - 7-11-02.png2002 Angels - Mike Scioscia - 7-13-02.png

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Continuing on the theme of the last post, I have started picking up lineup cards from World Series winning seasons. I feel like many fans have a special connection to a season when their team won the World Series, and a lineup card from the season provides a unique piece of memorabilia from the season. Often the manager is a HOF or future HOFer which is nice, and price is often relatively reasonably on these.

To this point I've been able to pick up:

1988 Dodgers - Tommy Lasorda
1995 Braves - Bobby Cox
2002 Angels - Mike Scioscia
2004 Red Sox - Terry Francona

If anyone has any others let me know...

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Pretty excited about this one. I have an Alston already, but it was from right at the end of his career, after all the legendary Dodgers had retired. This one is from 1963, a season the Dodgers won the World Series. Even better, it features Sandy Koufax on the mound. Koufax would win the Cy Young and MVP that season going 25-5 with a 1.88 ERA (although he lost this game). While the card indicates the game was from Spring Training, the players and information are a perfect match for the lineup and pitching changes from April 14, 1963, Koufax's 2nd start of the season

Alston, Walter 4-14-1963 Koufax MVP Season Front.jpg

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Was able to pick up a couple of new line-up cards; 1 HOF and 1 World Series season.

Earl Weaver Orioles Lineup card (from Ripken streak)
Joe Maddon Cubs Lineup card (2016 - World Series season)

Attachments

• Weaver, Earl 9-14-85 Orioles Lineup card.jpg
    Weaver, Earl 9-14-85 Orioles Lineup card.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 2016 - Cubs - 6-24-2016.jpg
    2016 - Cubs - 6-24-2016.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 11

Members online