Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nice little $10 Garage Sale Find

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
So, I guess today officially starts up "garage sale" season. I have been out of it for a while because I haven't been finding many things. Today, we did good though. My wife was uber excited to get out there.

It started out slowly, but we did end up getting some cool things, like several ps2 games & dvds (including nearly the entire Scrubs series) for a quarter a pop - can't beat that! Also picked up some Porsche 18" rims for $300 (now I just need the car to go with them - LOL!) some furniture pieces, and other miscellaneous items. But I know you all don't care about that stuff much.

These sales are few and far between, but I did see a family selling their cards. I saw a few junk wax era complete sets, along with a box full of pages with cards in them. They said they would take $1 per set. Why not? I asked - then I asked how much would it be for all the cards, and they seemed a tad shocked I would be interested. They said $10, so I took the gamble.

Here are some pics :)

yay - 4 sets of topps!
20141018_135045.jpg

A huge box of topps cards in pages
20141018_135130.jpg

some autographs that are personalized - they look to be from John Elway (can you say custom cut auto soon?), Earl Campbell, Lawrence Taylor, Vinnie Testeverde (I think) and Phil Parsons.
20141018_135113.jpg

Purty cool!

He said there was some hank aaron, etc. I thanked him and was thinking ok sure ... turn back the clock 80's stuff. Well, I kept going through some cards, and lo and behold ... some vintage!

Note the Rickey Henderson rookie, Reggie Jackson, Hank Aarons and Johnny Benches!
20141018_135453.jpg

Then more ...
20141018_141146.jpg

20141018_140818.jpg

20141018_140722.jpg

Several of the earlier cards are a bit rough ... not beat to death, but not pristine either. That is fine though - heck of a pickup and I'm happy as a clam with them.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Nice grab. I would have scooped that up as well. Funny thing is I would pile it on the last batch I picked up from a previous haul. It never ends.... This card collecting thing.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
What games & DVD's did you get ? Solid haul there, though, that's for sure !

mouschi

May 18, 2012
What games & DVD's did you get ? Solid haul there, though, that's for sure !

oh, we get games/dvds each week. I think this week was scrubs (all of them), God of War, GTA (hate this game) and others ... they are mainly all just to sell, though I may hang onto some games for a while and keep the scrubs :)

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Can't see the pics but sounds nice! And where do you live that garage sale season starts in mid October? Lol

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
What is so bad about GTA?How many more flip quests until you can buy the rest of the Porsche?

lambert58

Sep 29, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Sweet finds! PS2 games for 25 cents...winner!!! Plus for 10 bucks, the Topps sets are easily worth that for the fact that a lot of people will build complete factory set runs for their kids. My garage sale hunting has sucked lately. There is so much to learn about the many items you see and can make money on if you know what it is worth. I'm trying to learn more about video games, since like you i find them a lot. Do you know which are the best to look for? I've never played video games (except Donkey Kong back in 1985), so I have no idea what to look for.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
[MENTION=2602]SINFULONE[/MENTION] besides the drug content, prostitutes running around and killing cops? nothing really! LOL In all seriousness, I can see how it can just be viewed as a rated r movie fine for adults, but not for kids. I think my main beef with it is that there are so many parents who let their kiddos play that sort of a game. Not that it is going to turn kids into pot smoking cop killing ********** zombie alien werewolves from mars or anything like that, but it sure does put them on the fasttrack to desensitizing them to a lot of what is wrong with the world. It is a best selling game, so I understand that I either have a lot of people who disagree with me on it, or I may even be in the minority. That's ok - I'm used to being in the minority :)

That would be an interesting flip quest ... going from a common card to a porsche! I'm more of a corvette fan, so I think I'd go for that first ... but probably only after my sun is "all growed up" since it is a 2 seater.
[MENTION=2614]lambert58[/MENTION] it is really an education acquired by just going out and trying things. Arm yourself with a phone so you can check ebay for games. I started doing this probably 2 years ago, and I didn't know much about what to buy (I still don't, LOL!) but I do know more now. Each week, I would have a "why did I buy this?" purchase ... but it was just to see if it was worth something by taking a chance. Yesterday, there was a drum set someone was selling for $150. I offered $100, and he said no. He chased me down later and said ok. After thinking about it, I decided to take a closer look, but someone already grabbed it. I snoozed and I loozed :)

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
Can't see the pics but sounds nice! And where do you live that garage sale season starts in mid October? Lol

LOL I was thinking the same thing. It is usually winding down here at that time. Nonetheless, fun score. Looks like some nice 70s cards.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
LOL I was thinking the same thing. It is usually winding down here at that time. Nonetheless, fun score. Looks like some nice 70s cards.

I'm in the Houston area ... we don't get snow or anything like that, so this is the best weather we get here :) Summer time is deathly hot!

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
Nice score. I love going to yard sales. Unfortunately there usually isn't much worth getting at them around here any more. Every now and then I make a good score.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Love Scrubs, in my All-Time Top 5 for sure!

Great pick-ups! IF that Rickey grades a 10, I'll give you $100 for it...:cool:

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
Awesome find. Anytime you can score vintage cards at a yard sale it's a good day. Last year I bought a binder of cards off a guy selling his collection. I think I gave him $40 and it was full of 1969-1975 Topps. A couple of decent cards including a Thurman Munson rookie. I think there was like 800 cards in the binder.

shanks25

Aug 7, 2008
I bought a binder of vintage cards at a garage sale type auction in 2005. Had 7 separate mantles. Paid 200. Find of a lifetime!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
@SINFULONE besides the drug content, prostitutes running around and killing cops? nothing really! LOL In all seriousness, I can see how it can just be viewed as a rated r movie fine for adults, but not for kids. I think my main beef with it is that there are so many parents who let their kiddos play that sort of a game. Not that it is going to turn kids into pot smoking cop killing ********** zombie alien werewolves from mars or anything like that, but it sure does put them on the fasttrack to desensitizing them to a lot of what is wrong with the world. It is a best selling game, so I understand that I either have a lot of people who disagree with me on it, or I may even be in the minority. That's ok - I'm used to being in the minority :)

That would be an interesting flip quest ... going from a common card to a porsche! I'm more of a corvette fan, so I think I'd go for that first ... but probably only after my sun is "all growed up" since it is a 2 seater.
@lambert58 it is really an education acquired by just going out and trying things. Arm yourself with a phone so you can check ebay for games. I started doing this probably 2 years ago, and I didn't know much about what to buy (I still don't, LOL!) but I do know more now. Each week, I would have a "why did I buy this?" purchase ... but it was just to see if it was worth something by taking a chance. Yesterday, there was a drum set someone was selling for $150. I offered $100, and he said no. He chased me down later and said ok. After thinking about it, I decided to take a closer look, but someone already grabbed it. I snoozed and I loozed :)

Yeah, GTA and kids isn't a good combination.Should be an easy flip to someone older though.When I was in college my roommate used to play it all the time.So your next flip quest isn't until next year?

Members online