Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dave Winfield Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
This past week I managed to land another obscure, hard-to-find card from my want list. This is the elusive, and unlicensed New York Yankees Police set from 1985. There were 6-card sets issued for both the Yankees and the Mets, but according to the Standard Catalog, the sets were not produced by the teams, the Kiwanis Club or any actual law enforcement agency. Before this set popped up on eBay last week, I'd never even seen them aside from the tiny thumbnail image in the SCD itself. The rest of the set was Willie Randolph, Phil Niekro, Billy Martin, Dave Righetti and Ron Guidry. The photos for Guidry and Righetti are switched. I posted the other 5 cards in my eCrater store.

1985PoliceYankees4.jpg
1985PoliceYankees4b.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, I got a great deal ($2.99, free shipping), and since I've never seen the set anywhere before, I have no idea what it might normally sell for. Neither Beckett, nor SCD prices the set since it is unlicensed.

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
At $2.99 for an item that obscure I'd say great job ! I love it and I find something I didn't even know about or never seen before

Ryan

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Last Novermber at the Sun-Times Show in Chicago, I was in the hotel lobby waiting on Rickey to come down when Dave walked down. He sat down right next to my mom on the couch across the lobby and waited for his ride. He sat there for about 10 minutes before getting up. I didn't want to bother him so I never approached him. After he got up I aske mom if she knew who it was. Drew a blank, but she said he looked familiar. After I told her it was Dave she said "well why didn't you say something?!" He is HUGE!

Winfieldfan32

Mar 1, 2011
2001 Donruss Significant Signatures Cards..... First 2 are Prototypes,.... check out the error, has David Williams signature on it.
Scan0005.jpg

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
So when is some enterprising baseball card manufacturer going to start buying up all of these Penn Emblem Baseball Patches and using them as inserts in their memorabilia cards?

1978Patch.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I don't think you see enough of them, unless you are talking making cards #'d to 10 or less or in many cases 1/1s

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I am a big Winfield collector also, nice thread. I don't have many unusual ones, but the 3000th hit Finest Moments is a great card.

View attachment 46362

This is a beautiful card, and one that I will likely never own due to my own cheapness. The refractor cards from that set scan really well.

Here's one of my favorites. I wish some better shots from his Goldpanners days would surface so more of these could be made. This is from the 2002 Alaska Goldpanners Yearbook.
2002AlaskaGoldpannersYearbookBC3.jpg
2002AlaskaGoldpannersYearbookBC3b.jpg

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Does anyone else collect game tickets with their player pictured?

1987YankeesSeasonTicket.jpg
1988Albany_Winfield.jpg

BTW, I've gone back and corrected most of the broken image links in my posts in this thread. I recently hit the album limit in PicasaWeb and had to split my Winfields into two separate albums. I took that opportunity to just re-upload everything, so all the original links had broken. I'm still cleaning up the same issue on my blog.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Really enjoyed viewing all the Winfield items especially the FBI. That is definitely a toughie!

I personally collect tickets w/my player pictured. Of course I only know of 2.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
[MENTION=4035]DaClyde[/MENTION]

I saw this today at my local shop and thought of you. Not sure if you are into stuff like this or not. It is large, maybe 18x36. The actual disc is included too, but it fell off over time. They were just glued on originally. If you have interest, I can put you in touch. not sure what he wanted for it. I probably should have asked! duh!!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2040.JPG
    IMG_2040.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 60

Members online

Latest posts