Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fulfilled what was only a wish for teenage me - white whale speared

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
When the whole Superfractor craze started, I was 15, and like most other high schoolers, I could only dream about owning those big ticket cards. We've had a lot of "can't miss prospects" in Arizona, but I first started becoming aware of what prospecting was around 2003, and the Superfractors of course didn't appear until 2005.

The D-backs first "can't miss" Superfractor was definitely the 2005 Bowman Chrome Stephen Drew autograph. I remember watching it sell for insane amounts money (amounts I still wouldn't pay). It was always just a dream, but (unfortunately), Drew hasn't been so hot the last couple years. I saw that it popped up on eBay a couple weeks ago and decided that I couldn't let it slip by. It's a really cool feeling to know that I've come far enough in the last 10 years that I'm able to afford something like this. Drew may not have panned out like everybody hoped, but he was solid for quite a few years, and I just had to show it off.

I still think it would've gone for less in auction than I paid, but I had to throw out an offer that I figured would be good. I believe that probably made [MENTION=1888]JoshHamilton[/MENTION] happy and helped him buy that Stanton Superfractor ;)

Last edited:

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
Congratulations. I know how much it could go back in the day. I followed Drew cards for a while because my brother pulled a Blue Ref auto from a Bowman Draft blaster at Target, we later sold it for $180.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
It's a great feeling, isn't it?

That "feeling" is what got me back into collecting cards after a 10+ year hiatus. I realized I could now afford all of the cool cards I always wanted as a kid.

Congrats.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Very cool to get that 9 years later! What did it sell for back in 2005?

Heh. Time for me to chime in.

I don't know what it sold for before I owned it, but I bought it in the summer of 2008 for $2100. Don't laugh.

This was back during a time when Super autos were THE card to get. They still are, but the market has been diluted with Topps Chrome, Platinum, etc auto supers.

I got a $10k gift from my grandmother the previous Christmas. After being responsible and blowing $1200 on a 37" tv, I wanted to pick up a premier modern card. I already owned a BC Pujols so I started looking for a Super auto. I BARELY lost out on the Lincecum that Wossa won for $3999. Literally turned away from the computer for 5 seconds and came back to hit the BIN and it'd been hit. After that I tried to get the Braun. I offered the seller $8500 but he said he had a $12k offer. It was a balk to try to get me to up my offer. Didn't work, and he still has it I think. After that I saw the Drew with a $2999 BIN. He was in the middle of having a breakout season of sorts. I think '08 was the best year of his career. Lol. I offered $2100 and he accepted.

For the longest time, it was my favorite card...mainly because of how much I spent on it.

I got turned off Supers for the longest time because of this card and the Greg Reynolds auto. Paid $700 for that and ended up selling it for $200 a few years later. It cracks me up when I see 2014 Super autos of guys in high A selling for $500+. Take it from me, 99 times out of 100 they'll tank.

Nick, I'm glad it ended up in your collection. I actually had a $475 offer but took yours because of your eBay ID. I wanted it to go to someone who will appreciate it.

I'm glad this story has a happy ending. I was hoping the guy with the insane Brandon Webb/Dbacks collection on here got it. I couldn't remember your name on here so I didn't ask.

Enjoy the card, man.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
Thanks, everyone, for the kind comments!

And I appreciate you taking that offer man, it is definitely most welcome in my home. I guess if there was another $450+ offer, this may actually have gone for close to that in auction. I was imaging it as more of a $300-$350, but who knows. And hey, you got that Stanton, so it was definitely worth it!

In 15 years I have only sold one D-backs card (which, funny enough, was the Gold Refractor version of this that I sold for about the same price as this. And I only bought it because I knew it was a steal and was going to make big money, I never intended to keep it.) The odds that this will ever see the light of day again are pretty much non-existent, so you know it will always be cherished here.

I have to agree though, I just can't imagine paying that much for someone unproven. It's why I've essentially stopped buying D-backs rookies, at least until they get called up and I like them enough for a season or so. The only one I'd ever shell out the money for now is Goldschmidt, and who knows, its only been a little over 3 seasons. He could tank it for the rest of his career.

Heh. Time for me to chime in.

I don't know what it sold for before I owned it, but I bought it in the summer of 2008 for $2100. Don't laugh.

This was back during a time when Super autos were THE card to get. They still are, but the market has been diluted with Topps Chrome, Platinum, etc auto supers.

I got a $10k gift from my grandmother the previous Christmas. After being responsible and blowing $1200 on a 37" tv, I wanted to pick up a premier modern card. I already owned a BC Pujols so I started looking for a Super auto. I BARELY lost out on the Lincecum that Wossa won for $3999. Literally turned away from the computer for 5 seconds and came back to hit the BIN and it'd been hit. After that I tried to get the Braun. I offered the seller $8500 but he said he had a $12k offer. It was a balk to try to get me to up my offer. Didn't work, and he still has it I think. After that I saw the Drew with a $2999 BIN. He was in the middle of having a breakout season of sorts. I think '08 was the best year of his career. Lol. I offered $2100 and he accepted.

For the longest time, it was my favorite card...mainly because of how much I spent on it.

I got turned off Supers for the longest time because of this card and the Greg Reynolds auto. Paid $700 for that and ended up selling it for $200 a few years later. It cracks me up when I see 2014 Super autos of guys in high A selling for $500+. Take it from me, 99 times out of 100 they'll tank.

Nick, I'm glad it ended up in your collection. I actually had a $475 offer but took yours because of your eBay ID. I wanted it to go to someone who will appreciate it.

I'm glad this story has a happy ending. I was hoping the guy with the insane Brandon Webb/Dbacks collection on here got it. I couldn't remember your name on here so I didn't ask.

Enjoy the card, man.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It is a kind of fun subset of the hobby when you can buy a once revered card for pennies on the dollar. I have done the same myself, although this one isn't quite pennies on the dollar now is it? I know it happens, but just seeing someone talk about dropping $2K-10K or more on a new baseball card makes me shudder!

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
That card is worth more than the actual Stephen Drew is at this moment. In fact, you could probably offer the Super to the Red Sox and they'd trade it for Drew.

Members online

Latest posts