Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone working on a building a set they know will be near impossible to complete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I'm thinking of venturing down this road and was curious to hear of others who have done so or are doing so. Feel free to share some scans along with the reason that the particular set will likely never be completed.

Thanks!

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I wouldn't say I'm in this boat, but trying to get a HOF patch from every player that has one out there is really difficult though I do think I'll get there one day. I'm curious, which set are you considering going after? I know you have some awesome stuff

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I'm working on two sets. the first being difficult enough but manageable and the second has 5-6 1/1's in it. Including a ruth and gehrig each. I'll never complete that one but still going for the majority

jflan702

Sep 25, 2008
outside of Boston
I have three sets/projects that I am working on that I know will never get completed. 2 will not due to financial reasons, the other one won't get completed because the last card that I need never shows up anywhere.
2007 Sweet Spot Classic Game Used - Need Ruth and Mathewson, plus 3 other SPs - $$$$
2008 Yankee Stadium Legacy Game Used - Need Ruth and Gehrig - $$$$
2001 Donruss base set - still need 159 Ben Sheets Buyback #/500 - this was a last minute replacement redemption in the set. I have only seen one of these since 2001 and I missed it.

Even though it is aggravating knowing that I won't finish, it still gives me something to search for.

roundtree34

Aug 9, 2008
i'm working on a 2012 topps black set, need 8 common's along with Derek Jeter, Miguel Cabrera and ichiro.

birdsfan85

Aug 7, 2008
I am currently working on a signed 1952 Topps signed set which will take many years, luck, and a ton of money to finish.

I came within 4 cards of finishing a signed 1954 Bowman signed set before selling it to Keith Olbermann.

To me it's all in the journey of collecting the set. Once I have them I'll eventually be bored with them and sell them.

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
Seemingly impossible sets are my main collecting focus.

When I decided to go full bore after the 2008 Topps Updates All Star Jumbo patch set, the set had already been released for a few months. The initial wave of patches that hit Ebay had already been picked up by player collectors or investors looking to flip for a profit. The 66 card set is serial numbered to six copies. While not impossible, things have dried up in the past few years, leaving me 25 cards short of a set.

When the 2009 version of the set came out, I was in on it early and managed to grab many of them at cheaper prices as compared to the 2008 set. A lot of this had to do with the type of patches in the 2009 offering. Topps decided to use mostly basic number patches and shifted to using the various team logos in 1/1 booklets in the 2010 Triple Threads set. That early start has definitely made a difference as I am only 11 cards short of the 66 card set.

The 2005 Sweet Spot Classic Jumbo Patches seemed like a great set to focus on with only 64 cards in the set, but the inclusion of a 1/1 patch (Bob Gibson) and other SSPs made it unlikely to happen. The Mantle/19 from that set alone goes for thousands. I’ve given up on the set, but will pick up singles if the price is reasonable.

The 2006 UD WBC patch parallel of the 2006 WBC jersey set is limited to only 8 copies, but the set is not serial numbered. Many of these cards are probably sitting in common game used jersey boxes with dealers not realizing their scarcity.

Along those lines, a handful of 2010 UD Exquisite patches have not even been catalogued yet by sites such as Beckett and baseballcardpedia.com. I love the look of the four Exquisite patch sets, but it’s maddening that four years after the release, four cards from a major card company are still unknown to the majority of the hobby.

So, I would consider the following factors before I decided to chase another limited set:

1. The date of release vs. the hobbyist’s decision to collect the set
  2. The nature of the game used elements of the set
  3. The size of the set
  4. How well known/catalogued the set is
  5. The player composition of the set (All Stars, HOFs, etc.)
  6. Cost of the major cards within the set

Last edited:

kerryfan5

Sep 17, 2012
Ohio thourgh Dickinson, N.D.
Seemingly impossible sets are my main collecting focus.

When I decided to go full bore after the 2008 Topps Updates All Star Jumbo patch set, the set had already been released for a few months. The initial wave of patches that hit Ebay had already been picked up by player collectors or investors looking to flip for a profit. The 66 card set is serial numbered to six copies. While not impossible, things have dried up in the past few years, leaving me 25 cards short of a set.

When the 2009 version of the set came out, I was in on it early and managed to grab many of them at cheaper prices as compared to the 2008 set. A lot of this had to do with the type of patches in the 2009 offering. Topps decided to use mostly basic number patches and shifted to using the various team logos in 1/1 booklets in the 2010 Triple Threads set. That early start has definitely made a difference as I am only 11 cards short of the 66 card set.

The 2005 Sweet Spot Classic Jumbo Patches seemed like a great set to focus on with only 64 cards in the set, but the inclusion of a 1/1 patch (Bob Gibson) and other SSPs made it unlikely to happen. The Mantle/19 from that set alone goes for thousands. I’ve given up on the set, but will pick up singles if the price is reasonable.

The 2006 UD WBC patch parallel of the 2006 WBC jersey set is limited to only 8 copies, but the set is not serial numbered. Many of these cards are probably sitting in common game used jersey boxes with dealers not realizing their scarcity.

Along those lines, a handful of 2010 UD Exquisite patches have not even been catalogued yet by sites such as Beckett and baseballcardpedia.com. I love the look of the four Exquisite patch sets, but it’s maddening that four years after the release, four cards from a major card company are still unknown to the majority of the hobby.

So, I would consider the following factors before I decided to chase another limited set:

1. The date of release vs. the hobbyist’s decision to collect the set
  2. The nature of the game used elements of the set
  3. The size of the set
  4. How well known/catalogued the set is
  5. The player composition of the set (All Stars, HOFs, etc.)
  6. Cost of the major cards within the set

This is a great piece of wisdom on collecting. Stop research then collect. Not the other-way around.

eltoro2012

Nov 3, 2013
I've been working on the 2010 Topps Chrome Gold Refractor set. At first, I thought the Strasburgs would be my biggest battle but now finding both Stantons within my price range may be near impossible. May have to settle for the base set and skip the rookie autos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Im working on an on card auto set that I love. There are ~10 cards that I have literally never even seen.

I started 7 years after release. I'll never stop until I have the ones that at least pop up for sale. Received one saturday (mr. cub)

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Love how everyone is pretty covert in their answers. I feel I've thrown my wants and needs out there may be a little to much at times. But the relentless pursuit has added some great pieces to my collection this year

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Love how everyone is pretty covert in their answers. I feel I've thrown my wants and needs out there may be a little to much at times. But the relentless pursuit has added some great pieces to my collection this year

Haha. Yeah two schools of thoughts. One is too put it out there and hope the community helps and the other is too hold your cards to your chest so the larger community can't run you up

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
5b31hz.jpg

The 2013 Topps Tribute WBC patches /5.

I have 4 or 5 now.

76 cards. Long ass way to go...

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I wouldn't say I'm in this boat, but trying to get a HOF patch from every player that has one out there is really difficult though I do think I'll get there one day. I'm curious, which set are you considering going after? I know you have some awesome stuff

This set has everything going for it to make it an impossible chase. Most copies are very deeply buried in PC's. The price of any card in the set is extremely high. It's often the most expensive modern day card for these players. The print runs are low, with the Killebrew at /3. A Ted Williams /9 just sold for roughly $9,000-$10,000. The cut sigs Mantle /1 and Ruth /3 have to be $20,000+ cards. So I know I'll never complete it. But it seems like the type of challenge that would be fun, and ironically not break the bank because odds are I'll rarely see any available.

That said the set is the A Piece of History 500 Club Autograph Set.

Aaron APOH Bat Auto ebay.JPG

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Good luck on going for that set..

As you know, I tend to try for sets that are tough to fill..

I have a few..

2005 Donruss Timelines..(there is a Babe Ruth 1/1 and a Roger Maris 1/1)

http://www.mcaf.com/pinbreaker/pers_coll/salutations/salutations.htm

ripken-a.jpg

2004 Donruss Leather & Lumber Baseball Leather Auto's which are numbered /5 or /10
I need the Ralph Kiner /5 and Luis Aparicio /10 to complete it.. I have seen 2 Aparaicio's and "ZERO" Kiner's

http://www.mcaf.com/pinbreaker/pers_coll/LL04/LL04.htm

cal-ripken.jpg

and of course the 2009 Ultimate Patch cards..

http://s27.photobucket.com/user/pinbreaker/slideshow/Upper Deck/09 Ultimate Baseball/Ultimate Patch

up-tw.jpg

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Good luck on going for that set..

As you know, I tend to try for sets that are tough to fill..

I have a few..

2005 Donruss Timelines..(there is a Babe Ruth 1/1 and a Roger Maris 1/1)

http://www.mcaf.com/pinbreaker/pers_coll/salutations/salutations.htm

ripken-a.jpg

2004 Donruss Leather & Lumber Baseball Leather Auto's which are numbered /5 or /10
I need the Ralph Kiner /5 and Luis Aparicio /10 to complete it.. I have seen 2 Aparaicio's and "ZERO" Kiner's

http://www.mcaf.com/pinbreaker/pers_coll/LL04/LL04.htm

cal-ripken.jpg

and of course the 2009 Ultimate Patch cards..

http://s27.photobucket.com/user/pinbreaker/slideshow/Upper Deck/09 Ultimate Baseball/Ultimate Patch

up-tw.jpg

I love watching your progress. You always have a great eye in picking the sets you go for.

On the APOH Auto set, I was lucky to pick up a few in one shot, and that gave me the push to try for it, though I imagine there are only a small number of them that I can really consider adding, and I'm not too keen on spending much on Sosa and Palmeiro who are 2 of the "cheaper" guys (albeit still really pricey).

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
i'm working on a 2012 topps black set, need 8 common's along with Derek Jeter, Miguel Cabrera and ichiro.

The black parallel set that's numbered out of /57 (or so depending on the year)?

Helluva project! Must look nice...

Gotta ask: You keep those in Binders? Or tons of top Loaders?

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
This set has everything going for it to make it an impossible chase. Most copies are very deeply buried in PC's. The price of any card in the set is extremely high. It's often the most expensive modern day card for these players. The print runs are low, with the Killebrew at /3. A Ted Williams /9 just sold for roughly $9,000-$10,000. The cut sigs Mantle /1 and Ruth /3 have to be $20,000+ cards. So I know I'll never complete it. But it seems like the type of challenge that would be fun, and ironically not break the bank because odds are I'll rarely see any available.

That said the set is the A Piece of History 500 Club Autograph Set.

When I ran a store, we had an out-of-town Customer that stopped in when he was in town visiting Family. Very nice guy, and claimed he owned a store in the Seattle area. Always bought a lot and claimed to have most of the auto set. Showed me pics of some of them so I assume he was telling the truth. He said that he knew another guy working on the set. And that they flipped a coin to see who would get the /3s. He had Ted and the other guy had Killer. He won.

Also, one of the Ruth autos was pulled by a dealer near us and sold thru auction in Chicago the following summer.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
I'm (still) working on the 2010 Allen & Ginter mini master set. Base mini, Ginter back, black border, NNO, and Bazooka back. Also doing the EXT minis and ripped rip cards and all mini insert sets.

I'm finished with the regular and Ginter back, 94% done with the black, 9% done on the NNO and Bazooka and about 20% done with the EXT set.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts