Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Questions about creating your own cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Hey, fellas. I'm looking to gain a diverse knowledge base on how to create your own custom cards. My intended purpose is to create some cards and get them signed. Since many players will be assigned to short season and rookie ball clubs, I'd like to have them sign something! I have questions as I'm foreign to the process.

1.) What is the best program for creating them?

2.) Are these programs ridiculously expensive?

3.) What is the best material for cards?

4.) Are there any copyright concerns?

5.) What is the recommended paper to print them out on?

Any help steering me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Photoshop or Gimp...pick your pleasure. If you're not familiar with either, you'll be frustrated starting out. So if you're willing to learn the tools of the trade, it will fall together...but it's most definitely work to get familiar with them.

Photoshop is made by Adobe and while I believe it's affordable, it's not free like Gimp. As an open source program, a lot of people use and love Gimp.

Assuming you mean card stock, etc. decide on the finish you're looking for...glossy or matte. Decide what you like best. If you want thicker cards, use mat board or heavier card stock to add to the thickness.

Yes. At the end of the day, even pictures you take of these players can still fall into legal issues. Doubtful, very doubtful that you get into any trouble, but unless you have written rights by the player, the photographer and the league/team...you run into potential issues.

See 3.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Photoshop or Gimp...pick your pleasure. If you're not familiar with either, you'll be frustrated starting out. So if you're willing to learn the tools of the trade, it will fall together...but it's most definitely work to get familiar with them.

Photoshop is made by Adobe and while I believe it's affordable, it's not free like Gimp. As an open source program, a lot of people use and love Gimp.

Assuming you mean card stock, etc. decide on the finish you're looking for...glossy or matte. Decide what you like best. If you want thicker cards, use mat board or heavier card stock to add to the thickness.

Yes. At the end of the day, even pictures you take of these players can still fall into legal issues. Doubtful, very doubtful that you get into any trouble, but unless you have written rights by the player, the photographer and the league/team...you run into potential issues.

See 3.

I truly appreciate the response! I might try Gimp out first and see where that gets me. I have some decent photos of Blue Claws and Thunder players that I can experiment with!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts