Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Where are all of the prospectors? Where is all the buying trading selling action people!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Matt, this isn't a scientific experiment. Lol.

The point I was trying to make was that most collectors buy cards because they collect and enjoy them, not because they're trying to profit. That's why I suggested either one card or 5, as long as you check back on value a year from now. Sure, you might pick a Swanson red refractor and see one sell for $2600 several months from now, but for simplicity's sake I'd rather compare valued at a set time in the future.

Just invest $2k in whatever prospects you want, kid. We'll compare in 2017

Bowman stasher

Feb 1, 2016

The point I was trying to make was that most collectors buy cards because they collect and enjoy them, not because they're trying to profit. That's why I suggested either one card or 5, as long as you check back on value a year from now. Sure, you might pick a Swanson red refractor and see one sell for $2600 several months from now, but for simplicity's sake I'd rather compare valued at a set time in the future.

Sell me the one in your avatar for 2 k and I promise I will never bring up prospects again lol

hive17

Aug 7, 2008

I know dude. It's a fun experiment, for sure. And I agree that prospectors sell ONLY because in 99% of the cases, those card will never be worth that amount again. The people that buy are, like you said, collectors. There necessarily HAS to be more player or team collectors than prospectors, otherwise the whole prospecting enterprise would fall apart pretty quick.

My point was about SMART prospectors, who if they took your challenge, should be able to do what they always do (if they can).

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
After reading these newer posts, I revise my estimate down to no older than 19.

Aren't you glad you asked where the prospectors are?

Although I don't prospect (if I had the funds maybe I would for fun), but just because most of on here don't prospect I'm not sure why we are coming down on Bowman Stasher for doing so.

He didn't start this thread stating anything negative, he actually was trying to get involved.

No I don't agree with his feelings that prospecting is keeping this hobby alive, but he was just responding to someone who said prospecting is dead, which is also incorrect IMO. Not everyone is a player collector, set collector, vintage, prospector yada yada. There are many different sub categories and all are important.

Not sure my post matters but just read through the thread and it seem to take a unneeded negative turn.

Ryan

People are coming down on him because he's a loudmouthed know-it-all that has not demonstrated a whole lot of hobby experience yet craps all over anything that isn't exactly what he likes. I don't have a problem with prospecting, just this kid's attitude.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I don't have to use vintage if you don't want me to, I've just been looking at the two specific cards that fit under that criteria. I'll use easily tracked 90's inserts, or a RC of an established star (08 Posey gold ref BGS 9, something of that sort)

All in good fun, whoever "wins"

Welcome aboard, Jaypers does daily milb prospect threads on here throughout the season. If you're looking for a prospect-focused board, this isn't it. That's Blowout. Stick around though, maybe you'll learn something new or find a new area of the hobby that interests you. I'd still be prospecting if it wasn't for Greg Reynolds. He can die in a fire for all I care

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
There necessarily HAS to be more player or team collectors than prospectors, otherwise the whole prospecting enterprise would fall apart pretty quick.

99.9% this. The other 0.1% is a ***** showing game like the dude that bought the Strasburg Super. Just a status purchase.

To the OPs original question, in addition my assertion that this just has never been a good board for sellers, I'll also note that many FCB users don't like to disclose who they stash. Carry on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I don't have to use vintage if you don't want me to, I've just been looking at the two specific cards that fit under that criteria. I'll use easily tracked 90's inserts, or a RC of an established star (08 Posey gold ref BGS 9, something of that sort)

All in good fun, whoever "wins"

Welcome aboard, Jaypers does daily milb prospect threads on here throughout the season. If you're looking for a prospect-focused board, this isn't it. That's Blowout. Stick around though, maybe you'll learn something new or find a new area of the hobby that interests you. I'd still be prospecting if it wasn't for Greg Reynolds. He can die in a fire for all I care

I'm still prospecting Josh Johnson, Doug Million & Steve Olin. Two outta three ain't bad ...

Bowman stasher

Feb 1, 2016
After reading these newer posts, I revise my estimate down to no older than 19.

People are coming down on him because he's a loudmouthed know-it-all that has not demonstrated a whole lot of hobby experience yet craps all over anything that isn't exactly what he likes. I don't have a problem with prospecting, just this kid's attitude.

And u are the one who came into this thread and crapped on it from the very beginning. You're just another keyboard tough guy. You think you're tough but you ain't, kid. Craps over everything? A bit dramatic? Convenient how you skipped my posts about not wanting to continue arguing and wasting my time.

Bowman stasher

Feb 1, 2016
I will AGAIN post that this arguement is OVER. I won't agree with you, you won't agree with me, and I don't see the point of arguing with a bunch of people on the Internet in a hobby I'm supposed to do in my free time. But of course you will ignore this post like u did the other one, continue arguing, bashing me, because you think you're tough and want one of your pals to pat you on the back.

ITS OVER. GOOD NIGHT. I LIKE PROSPECTING, YOU LIKE VINTAGE. EASY PEASY LEMON SQUEEZY.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Prospects fall into the category of new cards. New cards are prevalent at shows but those new cards from from minor league guys to inserts, autos, parallels, buybacks and tons of other recent products. This the perception of shows being prospect heavy is really recent release heavy.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
A. I don't know where I claimed to be tough.

B. I don't post frequently enough on here to have accumulated "pals" and I certainly don't post things to gain the approval of others, I just speak my mind. Sometimes I piss off the majority!

C. Cool, it's over.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Bowman stasher

Feb 1, 2016
A. I don't know where I claimed to be tough.

B. I don't post frequently enough on here to have accumulated "pals" and I certainly don't post things to gain the approval of others, I just speak my mind. Sometimes I piss off the majority!

C. Cool, it's over.

Ok no problem

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Prospectors are the hipsters of the sports card hobby

But hipsters go out of their way to like things that supposedly aren't mainstream. That would be more akin to the people who got in early on collecting 90's inserts when nobody else cared about them. I've always considered prospectors more like the day traders of the card world.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
In my personal experience as both a prospector and collector, I can simplify it down to this:

Prospectors spend the majority of their time worrying, whereas collectors spend the majority of their time enjoying. And I've prospected guys like Bid McPhee and Warren Spahn. One is a 19th century player who I hedged my bets getting into the HOF, and the other I bet on passing so I could cash in my certified autos. Both "investments" made me more worried than content.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
In my personal experience as both a prospector and collector, I can simplify it down to this:

Prospectors spend the majority of their time worrying, whereas collectors spend the majority of their time enjoying. And I've prospected guys like Bid McPhee and Warren Spahn. One is a 19th century player who I hedged my bets getting into the HOF, and the other I bet on passing so I could cash in my certified autos. Both "investments" made me more worried than content.

The Spahn thing makes you a ghoul, not a prospector.

Latest posts