Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nice job Topps! - Ryan Bat Barrell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rbadger

Aug 10, 2008
Wake Forest, NC
C'mon Topps, is this the best you can do for a 1/1? How hard is it to get the signature in the window....

$T2eC16R,!zcE9s4g3JD,BRr5OpmjI!~~60_12.JPG

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
As someone said when viewing others in this set like this........ Measure twice, cut once.

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
Looks like they're saving the top writing for another future card, if I had to guess.

BallCard_Blog

Jan 24, 2013
Are you kidding me? How can anybody honestly complain about such a good card? So what if the name is off a little? It's still a Nolan Ryan 1/1 bat plate!

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
Are you kidding me? How can anybody honestly complain about such a good card? So what if the name is off a little? It's still a Nolan Ryan 1/1 bat plate!

If you bought a $5000 top of the line TV with only 90% of the screen working would you complain? I guess not, because the rest of the screen is great! :p

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
Well, they had to see the card before they got it. Just like if you see the tv before you bought it. The owner is satisfied.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

The same cannot necessarily be said for the person who pulled it though. In terms of the analogy I made, even though it was a bit tongue-in-cheek, the person who pulled the card is like the person who bought the busted TV from the store in a box. You see the floor model and expect the same. I don't believe topps advertised bat barrels on their sell sheets with the bat barrels half cut off. And then the new buyer is like someone who buys the busted TV second-hand and knows theres a defect. It's true that they know what they are getting, and the may even be satisfied. But that doesn't mean its of the quality that it should be.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
The same cannot necessarily be said for the person who pulled it though. In terms of the analogy I made, even though it was a bit tongue-in-cheek, the person who pulled the card is like the person who bought the busted TV from the store in a box. You see the floor model and expect the same. I don't believe topps advertised bat barrels on their sell sheets with the bat barrels half cut off. And then the new buyer is like someone who buys the busted TV second-hand and knows theres a defect. It's true that they know what they are getting, and the may even be satisfied. But that doesn't mean its of the quality that it should be.

Good luck to the person who pulled it to try and b!tch to Topps :lol:

This is just a terrible example of poor execution by Topps. It's sad.

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008

Perhaps the most interesting thing is that almost all people complaining would never own such a card... even if it were "perfect" anyway. It would be sold off immediately mostly because most couldn't afford to keep it, and, assuming they're a collector, couldn't afford to buy other cards without selling this card first. I think this is the real source of frustration for many.

Such is the state of the hobby for many, many people.

Last edited:

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
The name plate wasn't cut specifically for this card. It was removed from the bat before the rest was hacked down into little wood chips. The design of these cards just didn't highlight the splinter; it was probably originally cut to the top side of the facsimile signature with no knowledge as to what future card it would be placed in.

autocut

If I pulled it, I would have no complaints at all. I guarantee it won't effect the sale value and can get whatever I collect. That would only annoy people with ocd

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online