Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Howie Long Rookie Season Jersey Believed to have Small Metal Pebbles in it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Heard this on the radio on my ride home this morning.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-raiders-jersey-with-metal-under-the-numbers/

“Just Win Baby” was a general directive. The specifics were left to the will and creativity of those the late Al Davis expected to just win.

If Heritage Auctions is to be believed, Raiders Hall of Fame defensive lineman Howie Long’s jersey once contained the product of some overly exuberant will and/or creativity.

Per Darren Rovell of ESPN.com, the auction house has a game-worn Howie Long jersey that allegedly has “metal pebbles” sewn under the numbers, with the apparent intent of making any interactions between the front of the jersey and the hands of an offensive lineman unpleasant. Long brushes off the notion that he once wore a jersey that had been enhanced to tear off the skin from an opponent’s hands.

“It’s just bizarre,” Long said, via Rovell. “It’s just all so ridiculous.”

Long pointed out that, if the jersey included metal under the numbers aimed at ripping flesh, why wouldn’t the jersey or the numbers be torn?

The jersey currently has a high bid of $3,000. It’s unknown whether the metal pebbles are sold separately.

If true would anyone really be surprised? lol not me

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Have you ever worn football pads? They only cover the shoulders/collar bone. The chest area behind the numbers isn't protected.

I played a long time ago and my pads came across my chest but no lower if i recall correctly.

i was just repeating what they mentioned on the radio when they were discussing it. someone brought up the same issue you did and they replied that the player was protected by the pads.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Just like every set of football shoulder pads I have ever seen... not sure what pad @goobmcnasty wore...
I stand corrected...
des_zpsc8912ad6.jpg

**edit to add that I am not saying [MENTION=11496]goobmcnasty[/MENTION] wore these, just saying that I have now seen shoulder pads that do not cover the chest...

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
LOL - I was only saying shoulder pads don't go all the way down to the bottom of the numbers. They cover right below the collar-bone... to the top portion of the numbers.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
LOL - I was only saying shoulder pads don't go all the way down to the bottom of the numbers. They cover right below the collar-bone... to the top portion of the numbers.

guess it depends on the pads. the pic above of long clearly shows the bottom of the pads going almost to the bottom of the numbers.

Members online

Latest posts