Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Current Day Cards - Affordable Packs for High Reward

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
I admittedly don't ever purchase new packs of cards, haven't since probably 2000. I'm almost strictly a Griffey collector with the occasional Cincinnati Reds worked in when I find a cool card or a limited release card when browsing shows. Was wondering what affordable packs of cards people are buying new these days with the opportunity of finding some great cards, high value cards, limited release (say less than 100).

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Bowman Draft/Chrome and Topps jumbos will probably give you the best chance at a high dollar card for around that price range. I think BC jumbos are $12-$14 and Topps $10

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Well, for around $55 or less, you can get a whole box of Topps that will have a hit in it and the possibility of some good stuff. Gypsy Queen and Allen & Ginter have nice hits, but they are similar to the "retro" lines.

Topps Finest is under $10/pack and features 2 autographs per box and parallels in almost every pack, but there are a lot of rookies.

If you want to go back a few years, there's some older stuff from 2005-2008 that has a few more hits per box, but it could be the scrubs from that day and/or expired redemptions. Places like Charm-city cards has a bunch of older stuff that I like to look through every so often.

I actually feel that, at the price-point you're talking about, football offers a better chance for bang-for-your-buck.

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
Thanks for the advice guys. [MENTION=2016]hive17[/MENTION] what price point do you think is more reasonable for baseball? And at that point, what packs would you recommend?

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the advice guys. [MENTION=2016]hive17[/MENTION] what price point do you think is more reasonable for baseball? And at that point, what packs would you recommend?

Honestly, unless you want to play the prospect game, I'm not sure baseball cards have a decent price point. Gypsy Queen and Allen and Ginter are the closest, and the relatively inexpensive nature of products like regular Topps and Topps Heritage make for a fun open, even with long odds.

To guarantee anything, you need to start shelling out big bucks for Topps Museum or Triple Threads and even they can be disappointing.

I wish I had a better answer for you.

Members online

Latest posts