Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Your favorite "one week wonder"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Sean Casey came out hitting .400 or something back in about 1999 or 2000. People realized he only had one RC, plus some sort of foily parallel, and it was like a $20 card for a week or so.

Erubiel Durazo was also hitting about .400 during the 1999 season when he finally got an RC in Bowman series 2. That, and especially the Chrome a while later, were pretty hot till they weren't. I always liked him, especially the name. Always sort of wanted to super-collect him.

Actually, pretty much every single RC in 1999 BC-2 was hot at one point or another for some amount of time.

But if you want to talk about up one week down the next, watch football RCs. Big game = all BINs get hit. Disappears next game = lots of NPBs getting filed.

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
Bo Hart for the Cardinals. Didn't he set some record for starting out his career? .400+ average or something. I don't think he even played a full season in the majors.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
George Bush

mDbnCFgZzZi3-cPb-kPWXnw.jpg

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Anyone remember Luis Medina? Hit like 6 homers in the last couple of weeks in 1989 I think. Cards were hot right then and sought after over the off season, but he did no more in the majors.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Funny thing is, he isn't even remembered because of the perfect game.

Telling arod to get off his mound was great, but i remember him for his perfect game. He was also a solid pitcher and seemed to be a good guy.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Bo Hart for the Cardinals. Didn't he set some record for starting out his career? .400+ average or something. I don't think he even played a full season in the majors.

I remember trying to get his Ultimate Collection auto like a madman

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
Anyone remember Luis Medina? Hit like 6 homers in the last couple of weeks in 1989 I think. Cards were hot right then and sought after over the off season, but he did no more in the majors.

He is the epitome of this thread :) We went nuts over this guy in Cleveland, along with fellow "sure thing superstar" Beau Allred.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Telling arod to get off his mound was great, but i remember him for his perfect game.

+1. I remember the perfect game on mother's day with mom at the game (and on the field with him at the end celebrating) but I totally forgot about the arod incident until you mentioned it in your post.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
+1. I remember the perfect game on mother's day with mom at the game (and on the field with him at the end celebrating) but I totally forgot about the arod incident until you mentioned it in your post.

I assumed, the arod thing is what the other member thinks he is remembered for. But, I believe most baseball fans, would agree, it's the perfect game

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Mark Whiten for the week of 5 September 1993. 10 for 29, 4HR, 14RBI, 8 runs. Went 4 for 5 on the 7th, with 4 HR and 12 RBI that day.

Wasn't Whiten the guy with arachnophobia (sp?) who went on the DL after injuring himself during a nightmare about spiders?

J.P. Arencibia was pretty hot when he first came up, though more of a "MLB-debut-wonder" when he went 4-5 with two HR.

- Rodrick

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I think you're mixing up Carlton Loewer with Jose Jimenez. He was the other Cards rookie, along with Smith, to have a rookie no-hitter.

Right, Loewer never pitched for them.I fondly remember the Smith no hitter.Since he was pitching at the Padres, I had to stay up late to watch it on ESPN.I think it was on Labor Day too.I remember his pitch count rising to well over 100 pitches thinking LaRussa was going to pull him.I think he threw 130-140 pitches that game.After that game his career went downhill quickly from there.First and only Cardinals no hitter I have ever seen (had to work when Jimenez threw his).

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
This was the first name to come to my mind. I'm thinking it may have been a bit longer than a week. I remember him at a signing in December after the season and it was free. The place was mobbed to get an auto and only one per person. I took my wife and friend and got his Bowman RC and the Sports Illustrated with him on the cover signed. Then he went away silently.

Didn't he play well in playoffs that 115 win Yankees team?Wasn't Ledee another hot Yankees rookie that year?

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008

I think you are thinking of McEwing?He was hitting close to .400 the first 2 months of '99 season.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Didn't he play well in playoffs that 115 win Yankees team?Wasn't Ledee another hot Yankees rookie that year?
Yes, Spencer is a 3x WS winner. The big deal with him was he was a Sept call up after being up and down in the minors for 9 years. He hit 10 home runs in 67 at-bats during the regular season of '98 and three grand slams in 10 days. Also hit some diggers in the post season.That short hot streak made him com to mind for this OP.

Ricky Ledee was on 3 WS teams also. He had a longer career. The biggest thing that stands out in my mind was the unorthodoxed catch he made in David Cones perfect game. I got his auto at a signing on a WS ball back then.
image-109.jpg

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Sean Casey came out hitting .400 or something back in about 1999 or 2000. People realized he only had one RC, plus some sort of foily parallel, and it was like a $20 card for a week or so.

Erubiel Durazo was also hitting about .400 during the 1999 season when he finally got an RC in Bowman series 2. That, and especially the Chrome a while later, were pretty hot till they weren't. I always liked him, especially the name. Always sort of wanted to super-collect him.

Actually, pretty much every single RC in 1999 BC-2 was hot at one point or another for some amount of time.

But if you want to talk about up one week down the next, watch football RCs. Big game = all BINs get hit. Disappears next game = lots of NPBs getting filed.
Or with football they'll be the late season rookie who has 2-3 good games then on IR

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts