Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors-How do you store your collection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Nice organization and labeling! I have an obsession with organization, labeling, and clean scratch-free cases and/or binders

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
For my main player collection (1,300+ different cards) I do:

- All base cards in a binder, shorted alphabetically by set for each year
- Really low-end inserts in 50-card plastic boxes, one for each year, in a "super shoebox"
- Better inserts in toploaders in super shoeboxes
- Lowest-numbered, GU, and autos in one-touches (or single screw-downs from back before magnetics) sorted in with the other good inserts in the super shoeboxes
- Larger-sized (5x7 & 8x10) cards and other non-card items in a few actual shoeboxes

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
Thank you :) I have seen others flip flop between binders and boxes of toploaders, but for viewing pleasure nothing beats the good ol binder.

I would love to use a binder. I even bought a couple of toploader binders. But after a few times having to shift things around to keep them in order, I was done with binders.

My autos and 23's are in one touches. All other cards up to 6x9 go into sleeves and toploaders. Anything bigger that's flat go in albums.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I would love to use a binder. I even bought a couple of toploader binders. But after a few times having to shift things around to keep them in order, I was done with binders.

Totally understandable. Another reason I have so many with just two years each. I have to reorganize the insides. I have a bunch of new cards to be put away, which means shifting around. Eh. The work involved with card collecting, right? Gotta love it.

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
Totally understandable. Another reason I have so many with just two years each. I have to reorganize the insides. I have a bunch of new cards to be put away, which means shifting around. Eh. The work involved with card collecting, right? Gotta love it.

Makes sense. I could try to make it work with a binder per year, but empty slots at the end may drive me crazy as well.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I buy cards, scan them and upload them to my site, then put them in the binders at the back pages of the corresponding years. After i get enough, I sit down and make it an evening project of shuffling cards around. As long as I get em scanned and on my site beforehand, i have no problem letting them sit around a while because I can always look on the site to make sure I have them.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
I guess it's a bit much, but EVERY SINGLE card I own is placed inside a thick top loader, not to mention I have about 10,000+ cards, my wife's feels with as much money I throw into my passion, it could be considered making child support payments.

mizzouboy

Apr 24, 2013
I guess it's a bit much, but EVERY SINGLE card I own is placed inside a thick top loader, not to mention I have about 10,000+ cards, my wife's feels with as much money I throw into my passion, it could be considered making child support payments.
lol

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The binders are definitely cool but I'd be more into using them if I get to a point where I have a year finished off. That way there is no shifting and sorting. As for the gu and autos, I don't know if I'd ever be comfortable putting them in binders. I'd love to because they'd be cool to look at but I'd be worried they aren't protected enough. But hey, I just finally got the guts to start putting my autos of various players in penny sleeves and top loaders as opposed to one touches. That only took more than six years to change my mind. But having faced the problem of having to buy hundreds of one touches at a dollar a pop or just going to top loaders instead, really helped change my mind. With my Bagwell cards, I don't have a hundred autos yet and I'm happy to keep my 400 or so gu cards in top loaders.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I've had hundreds of low end autos (both on-card and sticker) in pages for years with no issues. As long as it's a high quality page there should be no problems. Though my own preference would be to put an auto as good as Jeff Bagwell in a toploader or one-touch. With GU, if you're really worried about condition there could be an issue with the pocket "squishing" the bottom 2 corners of the thick card and causing some denting.

P.S. - For those discussing shifting cards in a binder when you pick up something new, have you considered leaving empty spaces for cards that exist but you don't have when first creating the binder? That way you have more incentive to find the stuff you are missing, to fill the literal holes in your collection. The plan would of course be ruined when you find something you didn't even know existed.

Last edited:

rickey5191

May 24, 2011
I've got my Rickey Henderson collection stored in stackable plastic drawers. Each small drawer holds regular cards and the slightly larger drawers fit my psa graded cards and another drawer for storage. I can stack them anyway I want and add another level if I want and pill them out when needed. I had to do this to keep things clean for the wife. I am even more particular in that each card gets its own top loader and penny sleeve and wrapped in a team bag. All the top loaders are also the same so everything looks clean. I also have them alphabetical by brand. There are about 2700 different cards in the pictures.

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1366999723.498432.jpg
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1366999738.200536.jpg
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1366999751.188418.jpg

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
The plan would of course be ruined when you find something you didn't even know existed.

Yep, after this happened 4 or 5 times everything went into top loaders or one-touch, alphabetical by year (at least one example of all base, duplicate base went into standard storage boxes)

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I've had hundreds of low end autos (both on-card and sticker) in pages for years with no issues. As long as it's a high quality page there should be no problems. Though my own preference would be to put an auto as good as Jeff Bagwell in a toploader or one-touch. With GU, if you're really worried about condition there could be an issue with the pocket "squishing" the bottom 2 corners of the thick card and causing some denting.

P.S. - For those discussing shifting cards in a binder when you pick up something new, have you considered leaving empty spaces for cards that exist but you don't have when first creating the binder? That way you have more incentive to find the stuff you are missing, to fill the literal holes in your collection. The plan would of course be ruined when you find something you didn't even know existed.

Bagwell autos are all in top loaders or one touches.

Last edited:

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008

I have thought about it, but, as you mentioned, if something pops up that I didn't know existed or was bigger than I expected, it would still require shifting.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Back when I started, I could leave holes for cards I didnt have cuz there was only a few per year. Then the hobby exploded. If i did that now, I would have binders full of empty pages. And thats just not fun.

My autos and 23's are in one touches. All other cards up to 6x9 go into sleeves and toploaders. Anything bigger that's flat go in albums.

Top load binders? Have example? Ive never come across one where I live. I'd love those!!!

Members online

Latest posts