Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What I turned 3 Bryce Harper Autos into

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
Ok guys so this isn't one of those threads where I turn a paper clip into a car or anything but recently a series of events have led me to be able to flip some cards. My intentions are not to show off or toot my own horn as some of you could not care less about my cards and that's ok. Here's the long story and thanks in advance for reading

Toward the end of last summer....when Bryce Harper was struggling (sort of) I purchased 3 2011 Autos for a combined $500. I bought a chrome auto for $220, a BP1 Bowman Blue Auto /250 (BGS 8.5/9) for $160, and a BP1 Bowman Auto (BGS 9/10) for $120. I loved these cards and the plan was to hold onto them forever. Well move to this April when he gets hot, I throw them up on eBay and sold them offline for $949....WAY more than what they were going for combined at the time. I figured if somebody would overpay that much then they could have them and I'd find another when the dust settles. Well that same day I found an auction that Mike Cancilierre (SP) had a Blue Ref Auto BGS 9 for sale. We text back and forth and I ended up buying it from him that day for $900. It was a beautiful card....well Harper kept getting hotter and hotter and his cards were outrageous so within 2 weeks of receiving it I put it on eBay for $1499. A guy from Hawaii with very, very few feedback messaged me one night and asked if I would take $1250. Before I could even respond that next morning he had hit the bin for $1500. I was sort of nervous and was thinking of everything that could possibly go wrong. Well his paypal wouldn't clear the funds or let him make the purchase so he had to use his Fiance's. Long story short, he paid me $1200 from her paypal and sent me Western Union for the other $300. I was still nervous despite constant contact with him. I even looked him up on facebook (stalkerish I know) Anyway I sent the card and he actually turned out to be a pretty awesome guy. He immediately left feedback and went on and on about how he loved the card and how appreciative he was of me working with him by going above and beyond. So with the money burning a hole in my PP here's what I purchased!

First I had to have a Harper Auto....I like the kid and since I don't own him in any fantasy league I wanted a reason to root for him so I bought a relatively cheap one.

Next I feel that LeBron has entered that "Legend" status so I wanted an affordable RC before they got out of my price range. I bought this one from 03-04 Ultimate

Next up is the big bear! I have a growing low grade HOF vintage collection that I am very fond of. However it had a massive hole in it....until I filled it with this guy. Yeah it's only an Authentic and not in the best shape but I absolutely love the card and to me it has pretty good eye appeal. It accounted for the majority of the remaining PP that I had from my Harper sale after fees. Thanks for looking

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
Ok guys so this isn't one of those threads where I turn a paper clip into a car or anything but recently a series of events have led me to be able to flip some cards. My intentions are not to show off or toot my own horn as some of you could not care less about my cards and that's ok. Here's the long story and thanks in advance for reading

Toward the end of last summer....when Bryce Harper was struggling (sort of) I purchased 3 2011 Autos for a combined $500. I bought a chrome auto for $220, a BP1 Bowman Blue Auto /250 (BGS 8.5/9) for $160, and a BP1 Bowman Auto (BGS 9/10) for $120. I loved these cards and the plan was to hold onto them forever. Well move to this April when he gets hot, I throw them up on eBay and sold them offline for $949....WAY more than what they were going for combined at the time. I figured if somebody would overpay that much then they could have them and I'd find another when the dust settles. Well that same day I found an auction that Mike Cancilierre (SP) had a Blue Ref Auto BGS 9 for sale. We text back and forth and I ended up buying it from him that day for $900. It was a beautiful card....well Harper kept getting hotter and hotter and his cards were outrageous so within 2 weeks of receiving it I put it on eBay for $1499. A guy from Hawaii with very, very few feedback messaged me one night and asked if I would take $1250. Before I could even respond that next morning he had hit the bin for $1500. I was sort of nervous and was thinking of everything that could possibly go wrong. Well his paypal wouldn't clear the funds or let him make the purchase so he had to use his Fiance's. Long story short, he paid me $1200 from her paypal and sent me Western Union for the other $300. I was still nervous despite constant contact with him. I even looked him up on facebook (stalkerish I know) Anyway I sent the card and he actually turned out to be a pretty awesome guy. He immediately left feedback and went on and on about how he loved the card and how appreciative he was of me working with him by going above and beyond. So with the money burning a hole in my PP here's what I purchased!

First I had to have a Harper Auto....I like the kid and since I don't own him in any fantasy league I wanted a reason to root for him so I bought a relatively cheap one.

Next I feel that LeBron has entered that "Legend" status so I wanted an affordable RC before they got out of my price range. I bought this one from 03-04 Ultimate

Next up is the big bear! I have a growing low grade HOF vintage collection that I am very fond of. However it had a massive hole in it....until I filled it with this guy. Yeah it's only an Authentic and not in the best shape but I absolutely love the card and to me it has pretty good eye appeal. It accounted for the majority of the remaining PP that I had from my Harper sale after fees. Thanks for looking

OMG! I just wet myself! I love your Bambino card! Take good care of it!

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
WOW!! Congrats man! That Ruth is beautiful. The James card is a nice design, but damn is his sig ugly!

Thank you thank you! Yeah Harpers has gotten pretty bad too with only a B and an H but whatever. I have wanted a ruth for some time but about the only ones in my price range are the Sport Kings or a low grade Goudey. I like it!

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
smart collecting. first you flip for more money then you stretch it out by getting underrated versions of the A+ players you want- the cheaper Harper looks nearly the same as the "preferred" brand, the Ruth looks great/hardly looks A., and no clue about basketball values but that is a nice looking card too.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
smart collecting. first you flip for more money then you stretch it out by getting underrated versions of the A+ players you want- the cheaper Harper looks nearly the same as the "preferred" brand, the Ruth looks great/hardly looks A., and no clue about basketball values but that is a nice looking card too.

Stretching the money out was my intentions. The ultimate goal for the entire $1500 was to buy a PSA2 51 Bowman Mantle but dang the 2-3 I was after the sellers wanted $2-300 more than than I thought they were worth so I went with these 3 as sort of a plan B if you will. I'm like you, I don't collect basketball but I like to get star RC autos. I have RGIIi, Newton, Luck, etc so I went with a semi cheap Lebron version (if you call $475 cheap!!)

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The James card is a nice design, but damn is his sig ugly!
James signs like that on purpose. Notice the L and B in Lebron form the number 23? That's why his signature is so odd looking.
And Sigma_Chi, that Ruth is awesome! I'd take that card over any modern card in a second.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
James signs like that on purpose. Notice the L and B in Lebron form the number 23? That's why his signature is so odd looking.
And Sigma_Chi, that Ruth is awesome! I'd take that card over any modern card in a second.

Wow I never even noticed that. That is pretty cool.

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota

Interesting, I did not know that!

Still think it's ugly. ;)

Members online

Latest posts