Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 2014 Topps (High) Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I'm a little confused or maybe its that I'm not as knowledgable with the process but how are there printing plates for these if there are different colors/patterns? Also if these are stock photos do they just make plates of the same photo? Originally back when they started putting printing plates in the packs I was under the assumption it was so these cards could not be printed again. Help me understand this, please.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
There aren't printing plates, there are "press proofs"...which are effectively printing plates. Same cyan/yellow/etc. just not on plate stock

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm a little confused or maybe its that I'm not as knowledgable with the process but how are there printing plates for these if there are different colors/patterns? Also if these are stock photos do they just make plates of the same photo? Originally back when they started putting printing plates in the packs I was under the assumption it was so these cards could not be printed again. Help me understand this, please.

I don't remember when plates were first inserted in packs, but I don't think the logic was ever that the cards "couldn't be printed again." Plates are basically just remnants of the printing process, and multiple sets of plates are needed for any card release. One set is inserted in packs, and presumably the others are trashed. But the with everything being digital anything could theoretically be reprinted.

That said, I find the "proofs" much more visually appealing than press plates. I wish they would go that direction for multiple products.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
So have we determined what we think are the patterns which are more rare than the others or what the order is? We saw one article which outlined it but I thought I was seeing commentary about that maybe not being right.

I have not pulled the trigger on any of these yet but and going to start tonight. I don't see why I won't be able to get all 12 or 13 Belle cards. Already missed a printing plate because I was busy this weekend and off the grid.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
So have we determined what we think are the patterns which are more rare than the others or what the order is? We saw one article which outlined it but I thought I was seeing commentary about that maybe not being right.

I have not pulled the trigger on any of these yet but and going to start tonight. I don't see why I won't be able to get all 12 or 13 Belle cards. Already missed a printing plate because I was busy this weekend and off the grid.

The updated CBC article seems to be holding true in my RJ hunt (Diamondbacks = NL patterns). I have the first four incoming, Shatter Stripes (only 1 listed) ends tomorrow, and the stated rarest one Zig Zag has yet to surface. I got the 1st one in hand today, they are very reminiscent of 2000 in quality, all the foil looks flawless. Can't wait to see a blue /5 in person.

Looking forward to seeing which PC warrior posts the first completed 6 pattern set!

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Got my package in from AIC today and was surprised to find this in the "commons" pile!!

Shatter Stripe SSP (Rarest NL Version)
15981551021_2a9285004c.jpg

[MENTION=8332]BiggioBrooks755[/MENTION]

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I'm still conflicted as to whether shatter stripe or zig zag is most rare. But in AL it's got to be Stripes. So find the Stripes for Belle and you're good.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I think the shatter stripes might be the tougher version as well, what are people thinking the run is on stripes and it's NL counterpart? About 10 is my guess they show up about as often as the red galactics but more so than the blue galactics is why I'm guessing this way but again this is just from observation not any concrete numbers

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I think the shatter stripes might be the tougher version as well, what are people thinking the run is on stripes and it's NL counterpart? About 10 is my guess they show up about as often as the red galactics but more so than the blue galactics is why I'm guessing this way but again this is just from observation not any concrete numbers

Part of that could easily be attributed to what jbh encountered above - how many people KNOW to list rare base? The others are easy because they are serial numbered.

Also, I think there is already the perception out there that Zig Zag is rarest. Sometimes perception is more powerful than truth. Zig Zag may be the most attractive/popular base pattern in this set which also helps.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I started the assault last night for these f'ing cards via Belle. I got the /75 and /15 for like $5 all-in.. then [MENTION=3132]Pine Tar[/MENTION] for the /99 :)

I also nailed the spiral and another pattern for about $5 each.

I have been offered the 1/1 for $100 but think that is too much... I also think there are a few others I may just pull the trigger on tonight. I really want to put this behind me...

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Also, FWIW, Beckett's checklist doesn't seem to match what we've been seeing or maybe they're missing some... no shocker there. I kind of wish there was more clarity around this release. I guess I've been brainwashed.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Would it have killed Topps to release a checklist and parallel list at release? Extremely happy Anduw wasn't in this set.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
This is the ideal set to HAVE a checklist upon release. I mean it is a basic set which is meant for checklists and collecting either your player or the set, etc. Just crazy they are that lazy.

Members online