Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New MLB Tracking system..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Heyward's first step took 0.02 seconds. Johnson's took 0.05. Come on, Johnson, get your head in the game.

That "route efficiency" stat is kind of interesting, and, with no point of reference for these numbers, shows how hard it is to play OF. Is 97% good, bad, average? For this kind of hit where he had to go so far, I imagine it's great, but it's also the kind of great you have to be even to make more routine plays. I remember when I tried playing the outfield for the first time at about 15 years old. I had no idea what the ball was doing. Everything looked like a pop-up, so I'd charge in on the ball, only to have it fly over my head. For someone to react to the swing 300 feet away, take off in 0.02 seconds, run in a nearly straight line directly to a spot 80 feet away in 4 seconds, and dive to full extension so you smack into the ground while trying to catch a ball before it hits...it's really amazing.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Jim Edmonds would have been screwed since my brother [MENTION=8688]U L Washington Rookie[/MENTION] contends that Jimmy took poor routes to hotdog or make highlight reels.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I'm not sure I'd say he intentionally took poor routes, but I'm convinced he played in a manner that maximized his chances at making catches look more difficult than necessary.

When Griffey was with the M's the first time, he would make it look effortless.. the catches that he made were phenomenal..

I can imagine what his numbers would have been..

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
When Griffey was with the M's the first time, he would make it look effortless.. the catches that he made were phenomenal..

I can imagine what his numbers would have been..

that's probably the future of the technology. Once you have enough data from current players/games, you can probably use info gathered from actual data vs. tv views to apply to old games where the technology wasn't in place to take a griffey jr. highlight reel catch (for instance) and calculate the data for that play if you have enough iso camera views of that catch to make a computation.

Members online

Latest posts