Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is everyone's personal white whale card?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
Brandon Webb Bat Barrel. He's got 3 out there (2 in 2004 Leather & Lumber, 1 in Leaf Limited), still surprised at least one hasn't popped up. If anyone can lead me any direction to one, I will pay big bucks for a finders fee.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Brandon Webb Bat Barrel. He's got 3 out there (2 in 2004 Leather & Lumber, 1 in Leaf Limited), still surprised at least one hasn't popped up. If anyone can lead me any direction to one, I will pay big bucks for a finders fee.

I actually have some rare Brandon Webb cards I can probably help you out some on a needs list.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
2004 Topps Cracker Jack Mini White #235 Mariano Rivera #1 /1

Fittingly my white whale, would love to have the white parallel of one of my favorite Rivera cards of all time.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'm not the only one then. Next year this set will turn 30 years old and I have still only seen one Dawson in my life.

The select golds are out there. I believe people are sitting on them. A guy here offered me one a long while back but at that time I was just not in the market for one. I asked GC if he had one he was moving and he said no but he had a collector willing to pay up to four digits for one.

I get that they are rare but I think with some of these cards, the rarity is more because people are holding them and the market is controlled. If they were just bouncing from collector to collector, they'd still be expensive but probably a little bit more affordable and they'd pop up more often.

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
I'm not the only one then. Next year this set will turn 30 years old and I have still only seen one Dawson in my life.

20 years. Don't make me feel any older than I already do!

I've only seen 3 Carlos Baerga's in the 20 years the set has been around. I've personally owned 2, and one was destroyed buy a crazy ex.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Last Bagwell I have seen sold on eBay 5-6 years ago around $500. I have had a few bigger offer but since I am not selling the one I have I can't confirm that these are true offers. This hold for Dawson as well.

Bob Nappe, old NJ card dealer, would tell stories of Andre Dawson buying rare Dawson inserts. Bob sold more than 50 1993 Finest Refractors directly to him and I had always heard that Andre also purchased a significant number of the 1996 Mirrors.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
20 years. Don't make me feel any older than I already do!

I've only seen 3 Carlos Baerga's in the 20 years the set has been around. I've personally owned 2, and one was destroyed buy a crazy ex.

Crazy exs and cards........:(:(:(:(:( my only Griffey auto which was a redemption sweet spot and an 84 Clemens fleer update auto fell victim to my crazy ex.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I don't know but it seems like it will be a long time before I see another 1996 Mirror Gold Jeter sell. I know where quite a few are just no one is selling the guy in Maryland is the most upsetting to me owns 3 and told me he would destroy them before selling to me. I even heard he is a Griffey collector and offered him the Bronze Promo Griffey with cash but he doesn't respond. I will have a long wait I wish I bought this card when I could have gotten it for under $1000.00 and if I had the snipe program in 2010 Dave would have never won his at $600.00 and then sell it for $4,000 years later.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
So what you guys are saying is that if I have a chance to pick up a Mirror Gold, I probably should?

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I don't know but it seems like it will be a long time before I see another 1996 Mirror Gold Jeter sell. I know where quite a few are just no one is selling the guy in Maryland is the most upsetting to me owns 3 and told me he would destroy them before selling to me. I even heard he is a Griffey collector and offered him the Bronze Promo Griffey with cash but he doesn't respond. I will have a long wait I wish I bought this card when I could have gotten it for under $1000.00 and if I had the snipe program in 2010 Dave would have never won his at $600.00 and then sell it for $4,000 years later.

People who take cards too seriously annoy the crap outta me. They're just cards, not life or death.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
People who take cards too seriously annoy the crap outta me. They're just cards, not life or death.

It's on the back burner I don't see myself getting it anytime soon I will just move on to other cards. I can't see them getting much higher right now than where there at because $30,000.00 for a PSA 10 copy that should have never gotten a PSA 10 grade with it being way off center like my extra Mirror Blue I used to own and the huge refractor line on it. I know serious Jeter collecter's who have given up on the Mirror Gold card. I have not done that yet but hopefully 10 years from now I can say I own one. I am happy with my 1996 Leaf Preferred Bronze Steel Promo as this is missing from a lot of collectors list. I don't even get emails back from some I tried to contact for a trade because there upset I will not trade the Promo to them. I know I will never own one of every 90's Jeter card and I am happy to be at 75% complete.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Last Bagwell I have seen sold on eBay 5-6 years ago around $500. I have had a few bigger offer but since I am not selling the one I have I can't confirm that these are true offers. This hold for Dawson as well.

Bob Nappe, old NJ card dealer, would tell stories of Andre Dawson buying rare Dawson inserts. Bob sold more than 50 1993 Finest Refractors directly to him and I had always heard that Andre also purchased a significant number of the 1996 Mirrors.

I have heard several time that Dawson purchased most of his 1993 Finest Refractors. I wonder how many he owns. I do own one and need to pick up another one so I can get one graded. Never heard of Dawson collecting his 96 Mirror Golds but it is quiet possible. Instead of auctioning off his 1987 MVP award I sure wish he would auction off some of his cards lol

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
2007 immortal signatures lou gehrig. Never even seen a picture of it, but it's on every checklist I've looked at. if it ever came up, I couldn't possibly afford it but a quick peek and right click would suffice

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
1998 DONRUSS red crusade Jeter.

Yeah I know where 3 are and the 3 executive proofs. No one is selling and the funny thing I want to say looked up on Tera peek and one sold for $350.00 in 2009 if I remember right. My guess is $3,000.00 now.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
I haven't been looking long but I imagine it's going to be the '96 Leaf Signature Extended Century Marks of Giambi.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
1997 Roox Prep Stars #67 Adam Dunn. I've seen a highly pixelated version of the front and back of this card but have never seen one for sale. Not a good looking card but, as far as I know, it's the only football card of my favorite baseball player.​

Members online