Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Alex Colome Called Up to the Rays

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Sweetness. :mrgreen: Too bad there's not enough room for him to start, though.

When I get home from work, I'll post my stash.

Rays To Promote Alex Colome
By Steve Adams [May 29 at 4:03pm CST]
The Rays will promote right-handed starter Alex Colome and add him to their bullpen, according to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times (on Twitter). The 24-year-old Dominican native ranked as baseball's No. 81 prospect prior to the season, per ESPN's Keith Law (Insider required and recommended).

The move is reminiscent of the Cardinals' promotion of Carlos Martinez earlier this month, although Martinez was recently optioned back to the minors to continue to develop as a starting pitcher. In 55 1/3 innings (10 starts) at Triple-A Durham this season, Colome has a 2.60 ERA, 9.9 K/9 and 3.6 BB/9. He first reached Triple-A as a 23-year-old last season when he finished the year by making three starts for Durham.

Colome, the nephew of former big leaguer Jesus Colome, has a "big arm" with a fastball in the mid-90s, an upper-80s cutter that "blows up bats" and a curveball around 80 mph with tight rotation, according to Law. Baseball America, MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo and Law all agree that there's a chance Colome ultimately ends up as a reliever. Law prefers to project him as a high-end starter, however, despite uncertainty surrounding his delivery and durability. While Colome failed to make the Top 100 list from BA or Mayo, BA ranked him sixth among Rays prospects, and Mayo ranked him 12th.

By calling Colome up now, the Rays run the risk of allowing him to achieve Super Two status if he never returns to the minor leagues. Assuming Colome is in uniform tonight, he will accumulate 124 days of service time this season. With the projected Super Two cutoff at two years, 119 days, he could end up in the top 22 percent of his two-to-three service class and reach arbitration four times instead of three. Any return to the minors would likely delay him from accumulating that much service time.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Yessssssssssssssssssssss! :mrgreen:

Marc Topkin ‏@TBTimes_Rays
#rays will start Colome on Thursday, move Moore to Friday. Cobb has problem with fingernail

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
Gonna share my 2011 Value Box goodness once again! The card is no longer with me but I'll never forget that pull as long as I collect!

colomesuper.jpg

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Did pitching out of the bullpen do anything for Martinez cards? I didn't notice a spike

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Did pitching out of the bullpen do anything for Martinez cards? I didn't notice a spike

He didn't really deserve it...ERA of 4.50 in 9 games isn't exactly something people are going to get super excited about. I noticed a few extra offers on his cards but nothing above market price, so I'm holding the few I have until his next go-around (hopefully as a starter).

In my opinion, pitchers have to be even better as a reliever than as a starter to get the price jump.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
He didn't really deserve it...ERA of 4.50 in 9 games isn't exactly something people are going to get super excited about. I noticed a few extra offers on his cards but nothing above market price, so I'm holding the few I have until his next go-around (hopefully as a starter).

In my opinion, pitchers have to be even better as a reliever than as a starter to get the price jump.

I can only think of a couple instances in the past few years where a prospect call-up for middle relief help has helped a players cards and that was David Price and Joba Chamberlain. There might be more but I can't think of them righ tnow.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Re card values of Colome: to date, Colome seems to lack the consistency needed on the mound to drive any card values up. If his Jekyll-and-Hyde style allows him to put together an Ubaldo Jimenez-type streak at some point, maybe, but I would say his up-and-down pattern should continue at the big league level. Pitching well half of the time doesn't seem to equate to stardom. Therefore, sorry guys, nice cards posted above, but don't get too excited just yet.

COLOMEREFAU.jpg

If you're a Rays fan, you might want to keep your eye on this young arm, however: :D

hahn.orange.ref.13b.lrg.os.jpg

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Re card values of Colome: to date, Colome seems to lack the consistency needed on the mound to drive any card values up. If his Jekyll-and-Hyde style allows him to put together an Ubaldo Jimenez-type streak at some point, maybe, but I would say his up-and-down pattern should continue at the big league level. Pitching well half of the time doesn't seem to equate to stardom. Therefore, sorry guys, nice cards posted above, but don't get too excited just yet.

View attachment 17687

If you're a Rays fan, you might want to keep your eye on this young arm, however: :D

View attachment 17688

I don't disagree with you, but when you can buy into blue/gold/orange autos for 15/40/60, it seems like he doesn't have to do too much to help his prices. We're just going to have to hope we see Jekyll before we see Hyde.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I don't disagree with you, but when you can buy into blue/gold/orange autos for 15/40/60, it seems like he doesn't have to do too much to help his prices. We're just going to have to hope we see Jekyll before we see Hyde.

well said

So far so good:
4IP, 2H, 1R, 0ER, 2BB, 7K!!

looks good to me....so Mr Jekyll it is!

As a Rays fan, Hahn > Colome is absolutely laughable.

Hahn is doing much better at high A than Colome did at high A. Granted it is a small sample size, but still. (Note: having fun with the hobby too)

jaydub

Jun 18, 2010
Arvada, CO
Final line of:
5.2IP, 2H, 1R, 0ER, 2BB, 7K

Still responsible for man on 2nd at the moment. Update McGee got the 3rd out so above line is major league debut final line. Not bad at all.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
well said

looks good to me....so Mr Jekyll it is!

Hahn is doing much better at high A than Colome did at high A. Granted it is a small sample size, but still. (Note: having fun with the hobby too)

Hahn is also only seven months younger than Colome. If Colome was pitching at Charlotte right now he'd be doing pretty well too. Plus Hahn is still on a very strict pitch count and doesn't have to face the line-up more than one or two times through. The true test for a starter is being able to get guys out a third time after they've seen everything you have. Hahn has a great arm, but until he gets taken off the leash we won't really know what he'll bring to the table.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
Final line of:
5.2IP, 2H, 1R, 0ER, 2BB, 7K

Still responsible for man on 2nd at the moment. Update McGee got the 3rd out so above line is major league debut final line. Not bad at all.

He gave up five hits, but still a pretty good debut. I knew about the velocity, but his secondary stuff was much more impressive. Change-up was very good and his cutter was above average as well. He had trouble throwing his fastball to the outside corner against lefties and got a little erratic at times, but overall there was a lot to like.

Members online

Latest posts