Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What would collectors be XXXXXing about if Topps didn't have the MLB Exclusive License?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
People will always XXXXX. That will never change. I think a lot of people just get bored with Topps and the same ol' same ol'.

There are plenty of people who don't prospect, so having a company that is required to include prospects in every set hurts. On top of that, Topps has it's Bowman lines (Bowman, Sterling, Draft, Chrome) all specifically for prospectors.

I pick up Reds prospects in trades or on the cheap, but it is certainly not the focus of my collection. I'd much prefer retired and current players instead of products chock full of never will bes.

On top of that, most other manufacturers made much better looking cards than Topps.

At the end of the day, people will complain no matter what.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Right on Joe.

Thankfully there are plenty of old cards to collect. Hell, there are other hobbies as well.

Make no mistake, Topps has a rich tradition and history in this hobby. They certainly deserve to be making cards.

Like I said, people will always have a reason to complain. There are some things I feel they need to change, but at the same time, they're much better than nothing.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Hell yea Topps needs to change some things. The card stock they used on Heritage this year is XXXX. For that reason, my annual Heritage rippage was one blaster. Picked up the master set last month for $135.80 just to keep my run going.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Oh there will always be XXXXXing.

There was XXXXXing in 1981 when topps lost their monopoly.

There was XXXXXing in 1988 when ANOTHER company started making cards.

And there certainly was XXXXXing the next year when upper deck made a $1 pack cards.

And then at the beginning of the 90s there certainly was a ton of XXXXXing with all the premium cards and then proliferation of inserts.

And I'm sure all the times I just wrote "XXXXXing" above will get some one to XXXXX about that too.

No matter what, there will always be something to XXXXX about in our hobby.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Just as joe said, somebody's going to XXXXX no matter what.
I fully admit I'm an upper deck homer and was sort of glad when topps was given the exclusive because griffey wouldn't be in any product and I could catch up on older issue cards. Well that didn't last and now there's a whole slew of base/parallels and inserts with 70% of them using some form of the same damn picture. And the g/u is ugly but that's my opinion. Thanks for letting me rant ;)

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
People will always XXXXX. That will never change. I think a lot of people just get bored with Topps and the same ol' same ol'.

There are plenty of people who don't prospect, so having a company that is required to include prospects in every set hurts. On top of that, Topps has it's Bowman lines (Bowman, Sterling, Draft, Chrome) all specifically for prospectors.

I pick up Reds prospects in trades or on the cheap, but it is certainly not the focus of my collection. I'd much prefer retired and current players instead of products chock full of never will bes.

On top of that, most other manufacturers made much better looking cards than Topps.

Yes, I will take this opportunity to XXXXX at MLB for not allowing its licensee to make any retired-only products. I'm a HOF guy first and foremost, and I like logos, but there is no wax out there for me. I'm thinking along the lines of 2001 and 2004 Topps tribute.

THIS 100%

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
you guys are veering off track! LOL

Lol sorry. If topps didn't have the exclusive people would still complain about the same issues. To many cards/sets/parallels, the markets flooded with product (which we have now, just uninspired garbage mostly) it was and still is a player collectors nightmare but really, that's what made it fun. I knew I was never going to have everything.. But the options were there.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Hell yea Topps needs to change some things. The card stock they used on Heritage this year is XXXX. For that reason, my annual Heritage rippage was one blaster. Picked up the master set last month for $135.80 just to keep my run going.

I'm pretty sure we've been through this before.

1964 Topps: 16.5pt
2013 Topps Heritage: 23.5pt

2013 Heritage is higher quality than 1964 Topps in every single way.

Members online

Latest posts