Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dec 4, 2008
Yep, it is an "eye of the beholder" thing. Always only worth what someone will pay. Picked up a near complete set of these about a year ago from the guy who was collecting them. Pretty rare cards. Not sure of the print run that survived (these were included in select SCD magazines during a month in 1996 - a precursor to Donruss Beckett Samples). Of the 18 cards I orig picked up I have so far sold 3: Jeter ($85), Piazza ($30), Larkin ($22). I have a second Jeter up now, my bet is it sells in the next couple of tries based on the interest to date. I already have the Griffey but at this price no way would I pass it up. I had mine marked at 10x this one. Probably only 100 or so of each that are out there that are actually in the secondary market (vs thrown away, destroyed), best guess. Some like the Puckett have never surfaced so unsure if all cards have a sample version. Clarkfan probably knows more about this set - I took my pricing cues from his prior auction sales.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Top one the authenticated one? Any chance you're looking, or willing, to part with the Beckett COA one?

I have no doubt that both are real.. There are parts of each signature that are on the authenticated one as well. The guy I got it from was "the" premier Griffey Collector back when was with Seattle..

YLAF is his EBAY id if you want to see what he has been selling..

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
I have no doubt that both are real.. There are parts of each signature that are on the authenticated one as well. The guy I got it from was "the" premier Griffey Collector back when was with Seattle..

Does that mean you'd be willing to part with the card or are you suggesting I track one down through YLAF?

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco

Also, why do you have no doubt that both are real? The Mantle signatures are very similar but I feel that the bottom card has some marks in the Griffey signature not consistent with his autograph. The G for instance is noticeably different.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
Also, why do you have no doubt that both are real? The Mantle signatures are very similar but I feel that the bottom card has some marks in the Griffey signature not consistent with his autograph. The G for instance is noticeably different.

I'm a bit of an expert with Griffey's auto, and I would say 99% chance that both of those duals are legit. Mickey signed a bit bigger on one of those cards, which likely altered Griffey's signature. Also, I don't think someone is going to get the Mickey auto and then forge the Griffey auto. Griffey's auto is much tougher to forge than Mickey's, and Mickey's auto is worth a lot more. If someone is going to forge it, they will buy a Griffey auto and then forge Mickey.

I'm pretty sure that Mickey signed first and Griffey signed second, based on the behavior of the autos, for whatever that is worth. Also Magic, I don't think we will see any sequence with the holograms. I have done this study before by tracking some on ebay. I have also tried contact Upper Deck about verifying these and they have no records of them. What a shame. That is my two cents on this topic.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010

Pinbreaker, just because it came from ylaf doesn't make it legit (although in this case I do believe they are). I have talked to him before and he doesn't really have the knowledge of Griffey cards that we do, believe it or not. He has sold some bogus (my opinion that they were bogus) 1999 UD Game Jersey Griffey cards that were actually patches and not the jersey swatch. I have never seen any patch cards from any other players in that set until then. I believe GJPuertoRico or whatever his ID here is the one that bought them.

TheJuniorJunkie

Jun 12, 2015
New Orleans, La
Yep.

rewind.jpg

Rewind to 1997 Jersey

This set is done in the style of the landmark 1997 Upper Deck Game Jersey set. The checklist features players who were all active in 1997, and each card is serial-numbered to 150 copies.
I don't recall it being numbered tho its from 2005

I have that one, too, and it is most definitely NOT serial #'d. Bothered me when it came in the mail because I was expecting it to be based on what I read in Baseballcardpedia. Still, love the card. It remains one of the most attractive relic card designs I've ever come across (in addition to being the first).

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I have that one, too, and it is most definitely NOT serial #'d. Bothered me when it came in the mail because I was expecting it to be based on what I read in Baseballcardpedia. Still, love the card. It remains one of the most attractive relic card designs I've ever come across (in addition to being the first).

gu06-1.jpg

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
Wow. Ive never even seen those bottom 3. Have a Jersey Number and a 5 Star... was hoping that the "Numbers" (bottom) existed. Those cards are so cool.

I've definitely never seen the bottom one "numbers", I couldn't even find any info on it with some googling. [MENTION=1759]magicpapa[/MENTION] - Do you have more information on that card?

Members online

Latest posts