Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps Dynasty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
It's not about securing an image, it's about paying for the rights to use his likeness. If this is the only set that Paige is being used in this year, it isn't worth Topps's while to pay his family to use his image. Ruth and Gehrig are in a number of sets, so they bought their rights for the whole year (or I guess a larger period of time through BMG or whatever). Topps just doesn't make as many HOF cards anymore, so they don't wanna pay for the rights just for a 1/1.

They're the gold standard in the history if baseball cards....it's unacceptable!

Topps doesn't sell index cards they sell flipping baseball cards! I don't care how much it costs for image rights. You pay for the rights and you put the player's image on the damn card or don't produce the card.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
They're the gold standard in the history if baseball cards....it's unacceptable!

Topps doesn't sell index cards they sell flipping baseball cards! I don't care how much it costs for image rights. You pay for the rights and you put the player's image on the damn card or don't produce the card.

I'll take the Paige if you don't want it....

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
We've all noticed that there are picture variations, yes? So I'll ask: how is Dynasty THAT much different than Topps Sterling? Patches? That's it? Boxes of 1 card are going for $200+ more than in 2008 because of patches?

Thoughts?

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
Wil Meyers $74
Oscar Tavares $80
...12 cards selling for under $100...

Name players ending well under the box price as well. Ouch. Wait until more & more & more "/10" of the same players keep rolling out. 4 RJ poses so far, so 44 cards out there.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008

I agree with you. I'm just pointing out that it is more then being lazy or not finding a picture. It costs money to use the image of Satchel Paige and that means they shouldn't use him on only one checklist as a 1/1, or this product would cost even more than it already does.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
We've all noticed that there are picture variations, yes? So I'll ask: how is Dynasty THAT much different than Topps Sterling? Patches? That's it? Boxes of 1 card are going for $200+ more than in 2008 because of patches?

Thoughts?

Thoughts? I think this product is ridiculous and I am so happy Dawson is not in this. Topps can not artificially inflate prices of a product just because they want to charge more money for it but they sure are trying with this and they are exceeding with some of these cards. An auto patch out of /10 for any player out of this product shouldn't cost any more than an auto patch out of /10 of the same player out of any other product. It's insane in my opinion.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I'll take the Paige if you don't want it....

I search for Paige signed items everyday on eBay and wouldn't touch that. The card has eye appeal but why would I pay a premium for essentially an indexed index card?

If I had pulled it--I'd sell that to a fool and use the profits to buy an index card and create my own cut that I'd (and the majority of the board) appreciate much more.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I agree with you. I'm just pointing out that it is more then being lazy or not finding a picture. It costs money to use the image of Satchel Paige and that means they shouldn't use him on only one checklist as a 1/1, or this product would cost even more than it already does.

Sorry about the !!!

I understand it's more than being lazy but it just frustrates me that a baseball card company with their heritage would think it's acceptable to not include a damn image on a card. It's the essence of their product. If they would have only printed Mickey Mantle text on cardstock in 1952 they would have been out of business by 1953. It's laughable to think that someone in that company wouldn't step up and say something.

Baseball cards are like pieces of art. The design is tasteful, elegant and could have been great if images were used. It's just disappointing because I personally believed in this issue when the masses saw it as a terrible idea. Topps had the opportunity to create a base set for Dynasty that would have been very desirable and wouldn't have added much cost to the consumer at all.

Just pay attention to details, Topps.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Maybe it's an all star game jersey from '89?

Even if, still messed up because it'd be a Sox jersey with a Yankees photo.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I find it VERY hard to think topps messed something up ;)

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Obviously they need to pay for the rights to the images. I'm saying they should have paid. Cut autos out of a $300 pack without pics are ridiculous. Why even bother to cut the card that was signed?

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Obviously they need to pay for the rights to the images. I'm saying they should have paid. Cut autos out of a $300 pack without pics are ridiculous. Why even bother to cut the card that was signed?
Really what they should do is include these subjects in more than one release so that the cost of using the image could be spread across the year. That, or just not use these subjects. Paying for the image rights for a single 1/1 card issue doesn't make financial sense.

I'd personally like to see more HOF stuff from Topps anyway, but it is not their fault they can't do a retired-only product. damn MLB

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Really what they should do is include these subjects in more than one release so that the cost of using the image could be spread across the year. That, or just not use these subjects. Paying for the image rights for a single 1/1 card issue doesn't make financial sense.

I'd personally like to see more HOF stuff from Topps anyway, but it is not their fault they can't do a retired-only product. damn MLB

Paige is someone that needs to be in many issues.

If they're not worth buying rights, they're not worth having in the most exclusive release you've ever had.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Paige is someone that needs to be in many issues.

If they're not worth buying rights, they're not worth having in the most exclusive release you've ever had.
Again, I have to agree. These cuts look like those Leaf History of Baseball cuts from a couple of years ago, but hose were only $29.99 retail. One would hope Topps wasn't going for that comparison with the ridiculous price point on this release.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Sigh, I remember when 2001 Topps Tribute came up and I couldn't believe that 40 bucks a pack was a sustainable price.

NY Tony

Mar 29, 2013
Remember topps relics are not from any particular game or season
Or player......

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1417801382.520673.jpg

Members online

Latest posts