Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Health of our Hobby - Retail Shelf Space Decreasing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
I only go to Wal-Mart for cards and it seems like every time I go in there is less sports cards and more non-sport cards. K-Marts carried a good amount of sports cards but they went out of business here, just like the card shops. I will have to try Target again and see how they are doing.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
interesting thread, thanks for starting [MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION]!

i am actually quite familiar with the CPG / retail industry and for most products shelf space (items on shelf, # of stores where you have distribution, number of facings, etc.) all matter. and declining shelf space = trouble. basically, the less product you have the less likely it is that a shopper decides to buy your product.

the game changer in all of this is e-commerce. Shelf-space in brick and mortars can be very expensive, and companies that sell products that aren't natural drivers of foot traffic often have to pay exorbitant slotting fees to get on shelf. sports cards lend themselves well to being sold and purchase online, so that is why this maybe isn't the death knell of the industry. more and more people shop online today.

however i would agree that having more shelf space in store to drive impulse buys (while waiting at the checkstand) or just overall awareness couldn't be a bad thing.

You make good points.

To those that don't think retail shelf space is important, ask yourself... how did you get introduced to sports cards? I think the majority, as kids, had parents that bought them cards at retail stores or bought them themselves. I think the normal progression is kids get cards from retail stores, get interested, then as their interest grows, seek out hobby stores and online suppliers. Cut out that first step, and you're losing an important step in getting new blood interested in the hobby.

Orangejello727

Jul 7, 2010
It is and always has been virtually non existent in Candian stores. Target as a section buts usually its 90% hockey. Walmart is pretty much all pokemon now and a for some odd reason carries Topps Chrome Football blasters with UD hockey tins. Thats it.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
When packs of cards stopped showing up in small shops where kids might get to on their bikes, the corner store, drugstores, minimarkets and such, it seemed like a dark future was imminent. The small, independent corner shop that I grew up with is also near-extinct, too, which I feel regret for. All replaced by gas stations with no fun things, or CVS/Walgreens.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Just left my local Wal Mart and because of this thread I went to check out the card section. They have about 24 feet of spacing for collectibles but only 4 feet is dedicated for sports.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
I assume you're talking about New Wax?

And maybe singles?

Yes. It's all about the value in a sealed product. If the mfr's cant put some value in these products, less & less people will be playing the game. No-name autographs carry no weight as ar as value goes, same with mem cards. Cut the production in half, double the hits & you might have some value. It's amazing to me, that after all these years, that the mfr's still don't get the overproduction thing. It's killing the hobby.

The retail space has been there all these years, and YES, it USED TO bring new collectors into the hobby. Not any more folks, wake up. There are no new people coming into the hobby, only leaving. It's very sad but very true. Believe me, it hurts to say it but it's true. Kids today have Xbox's & iphones, with free apps and games. Why should they blow $100+ on something they can just stare at? Now if they got more than their money's worth...different story maybe. But that's 1 out of 100 with today's products. From a seller's standpoint, new product is a barely viable way to make a profit.

Last edited:

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I thought the same thing last time at Wal-Mart.Not much cards on shelf as there used to be.Pokeman and Magic garbage must be flying off the shelves.

Members online

Latest posts