Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would you buy a 2015 version of those small 80s store sets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
If you collected in the 80s, you know these sets were everywhere.

Topps and fleer produced these star loaded 33 and 44 card sets for many different stores like Woolworths, mccrory's, Kay Bee, etc.

The question is, would you buy a 2015 version (33 cards) if they were loaded with current stars and one parallel card for $10 a set and exclusive to, say Target?

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I would, but not for more than $5. Inevitably a set like that would be priced at $10 or more these days (like the Topps team sets), so almost no one would buy them.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Here's a set from 88

Attachments

• 1425144121256.jpg
    1425144121256.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 34

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It really depends on the set, but $10 seems high when you compare it to the overproduced and generally ugly boxes set designs of the 80s. Most of those sets were $2-3 at most at the time and I can remember that massively overproduced K-Mart MVP set selling for 10 cents at K-Mart after failing to sell out at the original price. There is no shortage of that set.

Of course, nothing today is made in the quantity that we saw in the 80s either, so the sets right off the bat would be more limited and collectible.

I would like to see more oddball/team issue/regional sets today, especially with internet to spread the distribution, but it seems that this kind of issue is becoming extinct.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I agree, $10 is very high, but entirely realistic given the current pricing dictated by Topps and MLB.

only if they were numbered to 10 and had a random auto

So $25+ a set. There wouldn't be an outlet for them at that price. That's just a typical high-end pack.

Last edited:

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Thinking something like this for $10.

33 card set using 80s style stock And one shiny parallel.

To keep costs down, the parallel wouldn't be chrome, instead exactly like the shiny inserts in base topps.

I think the actual sets from the 80s sold in the $3 range.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I guess knowing why the sets stopped coming would help us understand. Are licensing fees ridiculously high? Do product makers feel that cards don't make a good promotional item any more? Are they too expensive to produce in general?

Are there any police sets anymore? Food issues are all but dead. Team issue sets are few and far between. I guess that type of issue was really a sign of the times, when everyone wanted to capture a piece of the collecting boom and/or just capitalize on the popularity to help drive their own product sales. If everyone believed that every issue would be worth bucks, what better way to get people to buy your product than to include a "valuable" collectible.

I have 100s of oddball sets, mostly from the late 70 to early 90s, but they just don't work anymore it seems.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
If anyone has these 80s sets boxes empty or sealed and are looking to move them and they have a checklist that includes Andre Dawson on the back then please let me know

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
If anyone has these 80s sets boxes empty or sealed and are looking to move them and they have a checklist that includes Andre Dawson on the back then please let me know

Ha I've gone down that road too. I think I've got 6 sealed sets Clark was in, just cuz he is on the back CL. We're nuts

Ryan

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Ha I've gone down that road too. I think I've got 6 sealed sets Clark was in, just cuz he is on the back CL. We're nuts

Ryan

Yes, I need the checklist lol, I just recently started collecting these and most people want too much for them on eBay in my opinion. I think I have picked up three sealed and one open set so far.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I probably would not buy - too expensive at $10 for a lame card design/quality.

EDIT: in the 1980's, they were cool to me because there were only a few main releases that these retail sets gave me more cards of the retired players or more cards of my favorite stars of the 1980's.

Plus, there are so many releases out there that (say) if you were a mike trout collector, you are probably more than busy enough chasing his 2014 and 2015 releases and parallels and possible photo vars/SP's that you probably couldn't care much that he's also in a 7/11 or target or kmart or walmart, etc. Superstars retail set.

Last edited:

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Here are some of the sets from back then..

7-11.jpg

ben-franklin.jpg

best-1.jpg

best2.jpg

limited-1.jpg

mvp.jpg

mvp1.jpg

pay-n-save.jpg

superstars.jpg

walgreen.jpg

Members online

Latest posts