Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
Seller is tooly22...thats me!! I wish I owned a strip club and the only strip club we have here in Bedford is the former Mark's Showplace that is now a Gold Club...and to be honest with you, Topps Tek is better looking than most girls I have seen in that place! The guy bought and paid for the two boxes overnight and I woke up a happy guy. I cleaned out a card store that was reducing inventory....bought two boxes of 98 Topps Tek, 2 boxes of 99 Topps Tek and 6 loose packs of 98 Topps Tek that I think I will now open after last night's sale!

Darn, was thinking of driving down there and slipping a few Quinton McCracken and A.J. Hinch base '98 Teks into a few g-strings!

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
He got the pattern number wrong, 1R, lol.

Got my first Diffractor card today! Those are awesome looking cards. It's a A.J. Hinch #83 pattern #1 diffractor. It is for trade but only looking to trade it for a Thome diffractor. I figured this might be the best way for me to get a Thome diffractor. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Those prices are nuts. I only have 2 Burnitzs left but I'd take $20 for them all day. Hell Id trade them for the p15 and p48 I need to finish off the base set because I don't see me finding more than 10 more if I live to be 100 lol

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Those prices are nuts. I only have 2 Burnitzs left but I'd take $20 for them all day. Hell Id trade them for the p15 and p48 I need to finish off the base set because I don't see me finding more than 10 more if I live to be 100 lol

Same bidder won them both too.

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
I've been putting diffractors in my watched auctions just for fun. Prices are all over the map. Commons are starting to trend between $15 and $30 with some even higher. Just Crazy. I will have to post what I have available so I might be able to help some of you. I mostly have Base Brady duplicates but I do have 2 Non Brady Diffractors (Todd Dunwoody and Dante Bichette).

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I am just shocked how I never see any of these diffractors or even base Tek for that matter at card shows. I am always looking for any 90s short print stuff but it seems in my area it is vintage or brand new stuff available. Over the years at tag sales and flea markets you only find 80s junk. Soon these parents of kids that collected in the 90s should be selling boxes of cards with these unfindables. Maybe we will even get a deal on them because they know these cards are not from the 30s. Wishful thinking right?

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
I am just shocked how I never see any of these diffractors or even base Tek for that matter at card shows. I am always looking for any 90s short print stuff but it seems in my area it is vintage or brand new stuff available. Over the years at tag sales and flea markets you only find 80s junk. Soon these parents of kids that collected in the 90s should be selling boxes of cards with these unfindables. Maybe we will even get a deal on them because they know these cards are not from the 30s. Wishful thinking right?

Even back in 2000, I remember seeing 98 Teks at several of our local card stores in 10 cent boxes. They were pushing brand new stuff and vintage stars or stuff like vintage '59 Topps. Still the same today except you don't see the 98 Teks in the junk boxes anymore.

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
Think '98 Tek diffractor prices are high? Check out the 2000 Tek #/10 gold cards that just hit eBay ranging from $100 to $850 each. Yup, $850 for a #/10 of Jim Thome! Five Andruw Jones #/10 at $200 each. No idea if any of that stuff is selling. Never ran into this seller, not griffeyfan24 or the vintagesnowmobile guy. At least he includes a BO option!

Topps states that there are 10 of each of those gold cards printed. None of us know for sure that there are even ten of the '98 Tek diffractors that were printed.

I have a full set of Pedro 2000 Teks including the gold cards, but I'm glad I'm not collecting that whole set.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Think '98 Tek diffractor prices are high? Check out the 2000 Tek #/10 gold cards that just hit eBay ranging from $100 to $850 each. Yup, $850 for a #/10 of Jim Thome! Five Andruw Jones #/10 at $200 each. No idea if any of that stuff is selling. Never ran into this seller, not griffeyfan24 or the vintagesnowmobile guy. At least he includes a BO option!

Topps states that there are 10 of each of those gold cards printed. None of us know for sure that there are even ten of the '98 Tek diffractors that were printed.

I have a full set of Pedro 2000 Teks including the gold cards, but I'm glad I'm not collecting that whole set.

Glad to say I have all 5 of the Andruw golds that he listed because those prices are about 20x to high. Last couple I've seen at auction went around $7.50 and the guy who bought them has been trying to unload them for the last year or so. They still show up in completed listing as unsold even at a $10 BIN. If I needed a couple of his golds I would pay some premium for them but I wouldn't want to insult the seller offering $20 each.

I also don't understand his pricing tiers. Arod for $150, Canseco at $60, Andruw at $200 and Thome at $850?

Last edited:

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
I originally bought them to rip and then got the bad news after my car inspection that I needed $772 worth of new tires, so it became an easy decision. I will be ripping the leftover 6 packs when I get home this afternoon and will post the results here in case anyone needs them before I add them to my eBay store.

Looking for Robin Ventura TEKs. Keep us posted.

olrac44

Dec 30, 2012
Jeter Topps Tek Extras

I have the following extra 1998 Topps Tek Derek Jeter Card #14

The following patterns are below. PM me if interested.

TOPPS TEK #'S 6
TOPPS TEK #'S 7
TOPPS TEK #'S 10
TOPPS TEK #'S 11
TOPPS TEK #'S 11
TOPPS TEK #'S 13
TOPPS TEK #'S 15
TOPPS TEK #'S 15
TOPPS TEK #'S 16
TOPPS TEK #'S 16
TOPPS TEK #'S 20
TOPPS TEK #'S 20