Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2014 NFL Draft rolling thread...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
Assuming teams won't take a guy because he is gay is bigoted. You are bigoted against the teams not against Sam. Your statement was extremely presumptuous and bigoted against the front offices of the NFL.

I'm assuming they won't take him because they said "off the record" that they won't.

I'm not bigoted towards the NFL at all. If they wish to not take him, so be it. Its just a shame that his sexuality has anything to do with it. Just like the NBA has the ability to force an owner out because they are a racist, the NFL has the ability to discriminate against somebody due to their sexuality. They shouldn't since any other employer wouldn't be able to do this, but because it is seen as a performance based field they can always say he's not physically able to do the job at a high enough level to handle his job. His SEC D-POY award says otherwise though.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
I'm assuming they won't take him because they said "off the record" that they won't.

I'm not bigoted towards the NFL at all. If they wish to not take him, so be it. Its just a shame that his sexuality has anything to do with it. Just like the NBA has the ability to force an owner out because they are a racist, the NFL has the ability to discriminate against somebody due to their sexuality. They shouldn't since any other employer wouldn't be able to do this, but because it is seen as a performance based field they can always say he's not physically able to do the job at a high enough level to handle his job. His SEC D-POY award says otherwise though.

He had 9 sacks in three games and 1.5 in the other 8 or 9 whatever a college schedule is. The three teams he did it against were Vanderbilt, Florida, and Arkansas State. Don't act like he tore up the best teams in the SEC. He didn't do all that much against the couple of quality SEC teams Mizzou played.

Also, it is illegal to not hire or fire someone for being homosexual. It is not illegal to fire someone for representing a business poorly (racist). As an employee you're responsible to represent your employer in all parts of life both private and public.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
He had 9 sacks in three games and 1.5 in the other 8 or 9 whatever a college schedule is. The three teams he did it against were Vanderbilt, Florida, and Arkansas State. Don't act like he tore up the best teams in the SEC. He didn't do all that much against the couple of quality SEC teams Mizzou played.

Also, it is illegal to not hire or fire someone for being homosexual. It is not illegal to fire someone for representing a business poorly (racist). As an employee you're responsible to represent your employer in all parts of life both private and public.

By your logic Jadeveon Clowney is a pretty crappy prospect....only had 3 sacks total last year! Man, he probably shouldn't be drafted!

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Do you feel Romo is the answer?

I have no real problem with Romo. It's more that I don't think Manziel will adjust well to the Pros, but even more that the Pokes have SO many bigger needs, especially on defense. The two best Safeties now look to be gone by their pick, but I'd trade up for Dix...

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
By your logic Jadeveon Clowney is a pretty crappy prospect....only had 3 sacks total last year! Man, he probably shouldn't be drafted!

Sam wasn't getting double and triple teamed every play. Can't apply one singular evaluation to every player. Without looking at stats I bet Clowney has similar career college stats to Sam, in only two years

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
Sam's draft stock is where it is because he is undersized and only had one good year - with the big numbers against crappy teams. He is going to get drafted, but sexuality will not play a role in it - outside of teams weighing the media distraction that could be involved.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Sam's draft stock is where it is because he is undersized and only had one good year - with the big numbers against crappy teams. He is going to get drafted, but sexuality will not play a role in it - outside of teams weighing the media distraction that could be involved.

This is why a team might pass on him if he's graded similar to that other player...

bmc398

May 25, 2009

I think he won't be drafted....and expressly for the reason that his sexuality will be a distraction. Not only in the media, but in the homophobic culture of the NFL.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I think he won't be drafted....and expressly for the reason that his sexuality will be a distraction. Not only in the media, but in the homophobic culture of the NFL.

Here's a fearless prediction. If he makes it to the 7th round, the cowboys will pick him with one of their picks.

I doubt he goes undrafted just because it puts a bullseye on the backs of the NFL.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
Here's a fearless prediction. If he makes it to the 7th round, the cowboys will pick him with one of their picks.

I doubt he goes undrafted just because it puts a bullseye on the backs of the NFL.

The Cowboys do need an outside rusher with Ware bolting for the Broncs. Sam's definitely not a down lineman in the NFL, but Anthony Spencer on the other side of him there in Dallas has a very similar pedigree as him....all first team in his conference with great tackle numbers who was undersized for DE but unproven at LB. It took him some time but he is definitely a solid NFL Rush OLB. I think Sam could be the same. A guy who's main priority is to get to the QB, but can tackle his ass off too when called upon.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
The Cowboys do need an outside rusher with Ware bolting for the Broncs. He's definitely not a down lineman in the NFL, but Anthony Spencer on the other side of him there in Dallas has a very similar pedigree as him....all first team in his conference with great tackle numbers who was undersized for DE but unproven at LB. It took him some time but he is definitely a solid NFL Rush OLB. I think Sam could be the same. A guy who's main priority is to get to the QB, but can tackle his ass off too when called upon.

I agree 100%. VERY good value in the 6th or 7th round.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
I really hope the falcons do not trade up. Not that I don't want Clowney, I just don't think the risk is right.

Right. In a different year, its all fine and well...but this year they actually have to get better through the draft. No reason to trade up to 1 and get rid of your 1st, 2nd and more and potentially a 10-20th pick next year when you have just as dire needs that can be more than adequately filled by other prospects in the draft. You'd have to think Dimitrov is smarter than that, especially when a perceived Elite and polished LT will be waiting for you there at 6 (either Matthews or Lewan). I think its all just rumblings and rumors at this point, people just throwing Atlanta into the mix because of the crazy Julio trade a few years back.

Last year really showed just how much that Julio trade hurt them depth wise. When Julio, Roddy and your entire LB and DL crews go down for parts of the season and you leveraged all those picks for one of those injured pieces it hurts. Now is the time to stop trading picks and step up and make some good picks of your own, which the Falcons have struggled mightily with lately.