Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Insurance for collections?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Just read a post about someone's whole collection being stolen, and it made me cringe. After checking with my homeowner's insurance policy, I've discovered that my card collection isn't covered. Even with a list and an appraisal, most policies DO NOT cover collectibles, even if you itemize them before hand. So I called my broker, who found a company that would cover my collection (SafeCo?). At a $15,000 value, it would be $600 per year to insure against theft/damage/fire. All I can think is how many cards I could check off my want list for that $600.

Does anyone have any better options or more collection-friendly insurers?

I don't want to tuck them away into a safe deposit box. I like to have my favorites displayed. I just want them protected.

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
$600 for $15k of coverage is really high. The traditional insurers can't compete on price for collectibles and my agent at State Farm told me it wouldn't be cost effective to use them. My collection is covered by Collectibles Insurance LLC and rates are much more reasonable. I can't say how good they are as I've never needed to file a claim and hope I never have to find out!

https://www.collectinsure.com/

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
$600 for $15k of coverage is really high.

I thought so too, especially since $25,000 of base coverage on contents is only $120 a year...

I'm wondering if because a box of baseball cards is easier to steal, than say a 70 inch flat-screen, it's more expensive to insure.

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
$600 for $15k of coverage is really high. The traditional insurers can't compete on price for collectibles and my agent at State Farm told me it wouldn't be cost effective to use them. My collection is covered by Collectibles Insurance LLC and rates are much more reasonable. I can't say how good they are as I've never needed to file a claim and hope I never have to find out!

I use these folks as well. Signed up after a home invasion in 2008 in which a lot of my collection was stolen. They have been easy to deal with but I have never had to file a claim. Pretty cheap though, worth it for peace of mind.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I use these folks as well. Signed up after a home invasion in 2008 in which a lot of my collection was stolen. They have been easy to deal with but I have never had to file a claim. Pretty cheap though, worth it for peace of mind.

I use these guys as well, they are more than happy to take my money but I haven't had to make a claim yet either. It's nice that you don't have to keep an active inventory list but, I did photograph and or take video of all of my more expensive stuff just in case. I would recommend them just for the piece of mind if you are worried.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Safeco is an insurance company up in Seattle..

They are a part of Liberty Mutual Insurance..

Here I am a baseball fan and didn't even recognize Safeco (as in Safeco field) until I saw it spelled out in front of me. LOL. Thanks for the link. Definitely going to check them out.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014

Roughly $17/month for about $32K of coverage. Thats very reasonable. ($202 annually). I'm wondering if anyone knows anyone who ever had to file a claim.

Members online

Latest posts