Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

floodgates have opened for 1990 Topps TV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
For a group of sets that used to be fairly tough to track down at a reasonable price (aside from the very prevalent All-Star set), these things are suddenly everywhere. I recall when the Yankees set would actually sell for upwards of $100, but now there is a store on eBay selling all of the sets for under $40, and singles have flooded COMC and eBay. To think I paid something like $10 for my Winfield and about $7 each for my Robert Kelly and Hensley Meulens and now they are all over the place for under $5. Reminds me of the flood of Donruss Aqueous Test cards that hit the market in the last few years. I hope everyone is able to pick up their players now for pennies.

1990ToppsTV31.jpg
1990ToppsTV31b.jpg

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It goes to show that very few things are actually rare.

It kind of reminds me of a card that was not released to the public because of something to do with the player. I won't be specific on this one, but I guy I knew ended up with hundreds of the card (maybe all of them, I don't know). He would leak out a few at a time apparently. Someone or multiples of people often have "rare" stuff stashed away and are doing the same thing most certainly.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
For a group of sets that used to be fairly tough to track down at a reasonable price (aside from the very prevalent All-Star set), these things are suddenly everywhere. I recall when the Yankees set would actually sell for upwards of $100, but now there is a store on eBay selling all of the sets for under $40, and singles have flooded COMC and eBay. To think I paid something like $10 for my Winfield and about $7 each for my Robert Kelly and Hensley Meulens and now they are all over the place for under $5. Reminds me of the flood of Donruss Aqueous Test cards that hit the market in the last few years. I hope everyone is able to pick up their players now for pennies.

1990ToppsTV31.jpg
1990ToppsTV31b.jpg
You hit the two sets I took a bath in the past 2 years or so. I just purchased the Yankees TV set maybe a year ago for a hefty price. I liked the look of these cards and the fact you get so many non stars. The only plus is it is still in the unopened box which you can't buy when you just purchase singles. Now on to the Donruss Aqueous Test cards. The O'neill was on my list for years and then the first one I ever saw was listed. I paid over $100+ for in a bidding war. Then the next one was listed and I needed that one also. I let the 3rd one pass to another collector. The 4th one gets listed from time to time and never sells with a $12 bin. I never saw one for years and then boom.

Jan 14, 2009

1990ToppsTV31.jpg
1990ToppsTV31b.jpg

I've been keeping an eye on this too.

If it stops here and we don't see another giant wave of them into the hobby, there is still the matter of the condition sensitivity of several "key" cards from these sets. A handful of the major star/rc cards are seemingly impossible to find with PSA 10/BGS 9.5 centering. While, on the other hand, many others (scrubs I collect) seems to always come out of sets in pristine condition. So perhaps down the line we'll see a premium attached to mint, centered copies.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
This one?

2006topps52s-kf.jpg

It goes to show that very few things are actually rare.

It kind of reminds me of a card that was not released to the public because of something to do with the player. I won't be specific on this one, but I guy I knew ended up with hundreds of the card (maybe all of them, I don't know). He would leak out a few at a time apparently. Someone or multiples of people often have "rare" stuff stashed away and are doing the same thing most certainly.

Members online

Latest posts