Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Well I'm a little concerned because I bought 1998 Ken Griffey, Jr. Best Platinum Minor League off this person and wondering if it's gonna be a fake? Is this a card that gets faked a lot and if so what should I look for?
I am no expert on that card, someone here may be able to help. However with graded 8s selling for 200 or so and 9s for 500 I would question those he is selling. Maybe the backs will tell a difference. The ones he are selling look mint and no way he would be selling legit ones for $20. His listings and lack of custom descriptions are deceiving.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Well I'm a little concerned because I bought 1998 Ken Griffey, Jr. Best Platinum Minor League off this person and wondering if it's gonna be a fake? Is this a card that gets faked a lot and if so what should I look for?

I am no expert on that card, someone here may be able to help. However with graded 8s selling for 200 or so and 9s for 500 I would question those he is selling. Maybe the backs will tell a difference. The ones he are selling look mint and no way he would be selling legit ones for $20. His listings and lack of custom descriptions are deceiving.

Ryan

I posted a picture of his item description. You'll notice a few key words are circled. If something IS too good to be true, it IS too good to be true. ("Seems" doesn't apply here)

reprint.png

deadman31

Sep 15, 2010
Well, it's a little different description from one I got. Mine said

1998 Ken Griffey, Jr. Best Platinum Minor League Pre-Rookie

Condition: NM-MT+

Combined shipping is available at $.50 per item or lot.

Please check out our other rare Ken Griffey, Jr. inserts, parallels, and vintage items! Good luck!

No mention of reprint. I only paid about $15 after shipping so not a huge loss but will be a lil disappointed.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

deadman31

Sep 15, 2010
Thanks for help. I'll guess I will wait until it arrives and figure it out then. I'll post a pic when it arrives.

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
Has anyone been tracking the listings on eBay of 1997 Topps uncut test/error pattern non die cut Finest atomic refractors?
Any info or speculation?
I believe these were either tests not meant to leave Topps or from uncut sheets also not meant to leave topps - either way they have to be way rarer than the embossed die cut versions for sure and seem to show more vibrant unwashed color due to the emboss on released version. I've seen comparisons as someone has the Jeter here.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Has anyone been tracking the listings on eBay of 1997 Topps uncut test/error pattern non die cut Finest atomic refractors?
Any info or speculation?
I believe these were either tests not meant to leave Topps or from uncut sheets also not meant to leave topps - either way they have to be way rarer than the embossed die cut versions for sure and seem to show more vibrant unwashed color due to the emboss on released version. I've seen comparisons as someone has the Jeter here.

I think you may be referring to [MENTION=8906]RStadlerASU22[/MENTION] 's listings - if you're referring to other listings, Ryan still knows more than I do about these.

My guess is that there are less of these test issues than the actual die cut versions, but I could be wrong.

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
Thank you for the info, between everyone on this community it seems there is very little we can't figure out haha.

viper

Dec 12, 2015
Ohio
Is anyone looking for a Griffey Crusade Green? I have an extra to trade. PM me if interested.

Thanks,
Tim

image.png

image.png

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
If anyone's interested in either of these, sell or trade, let me know!

Ken-Griffey-Jr.jpg

1998 Leaf - [Base] - Fractal Matrix Die-Cut Diamond-Axis Promos #156 - Ken Griffey Jr.
Ken-Griffey-Jr.jpg

Ken-Griffey-Jr.jpg

2000 Upper Deck Legends - [Base] - Commemorative Collection Gold #66 - Ken Griffey Jr.
Ken-Griffey-Jr.jpg

deadman31

Sep 15, 2010

Ryan

Well, here is card I received. Can anyone tell me if its a reprint or not?

2gv1lck.jpg

2r5uqlc.jpg

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
Hey all, got a couple cards for grabs if anyone is interested, I was trying to collect all of the Wood Grain 1996 Home Run Kings (including all redemption's and Gold Medallion's) but a couple have evaded me for too long and I'm trying to consolidate my PC - so if anyone else needed these for their set please let me know.

I have the 1996 Home Run Kings Unredeemed Wood Card as well as the Redeemed version with original Fleer letter back (the guy who I got it from did have the paper taped originally to a thin hard case so there is some tape on the original Fleer Letter which I folded over instead of removing when placing in new hard case.

Shoot me a PM if interested!

http://imgur.com/a/8JZ8e

OriginalEGG

Feb 6, 2017
Hey Fellow Griffey Collectors,

I've been lurking this thread/forum for awhile, and just recently made an account. I've been on blowout mainly, and made a similar post in that Griffey thread. For those who don't follow that one though, here are the results of my recent efforts to consolidate my PC after getting back into the hobby last year and doing a little bit of everything:

1zy8prr.jpg

I'm looking to pick up (in no particular order of importance):

2016 Dynasty with a similar patch as the above prior year pictures
1998 Finest "The Man" Refractor /75
1998 SP Authentic Sheer Dominance Titanium /100
1998 Fleer Pizazz Platinum Medallion /98

Those are the main ones, but anything sweet 90s inserts of Griffey (PMG, Starquest Gold, 1998 Tek Diffractors etc) that aren't in the above picture I'm interested in. The above just have some level of specific nostalgia priority for me.

viper

Dec 12, 2015
Ohio
Beautiful cards [MENTION=17614]OriginalEGG[/MENTION]

Something that I've thought about doing myself.

Hey Fellow Griffey Collectors,

I've been lurking this thread/forum for awhile, and just recently made an account. I've been on blowout mainly, and made a similar post in that Griffey thread. For those who don't follow that one though, here are the results of my recent efforts to consolidate my PC after getting back into the hobby last year and doing a little bit of everything:

1zy8prr.jpg

I'm looking to pick up (in no particular order of importance):

2016 Dynasty with a similar patch as the above prior year pictures
1998 Finest "The Man" Refractor /75
1998 SP Authentic Sheer Dominance Titanium /100
1998 Fleer Pizazz Platinum Medallion /98

Those are the main ones, but anything sweet 90s inserts of Griffey (PMG, Starquest Gold, 1998 Tek Diffractors etc) that aren't in the above picture I'm interested in. The above just have some level of specific nostalgia priority for me.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Welcome [MENTION=17614]OriginalEGG[/MENTION]! That is a nice consolidated PC - that Precious Metals is great. If I come across those 4 and others you mentioned, I'll let you know.

[MENTION=12785]viper[/MENTION] - I enjoy the Team Finest Refractors; they don't get as much attention as other low #'d 90s but I think they're great. Given that they're underrated, if you find the Gold /25, you should be able snag it for well under $1k

Members online