Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Found my Non-Rockies Diffractors - gonna scan them and post them up here tomorrow afternoon. I have an Aramis Ramirez diffractor and I can't read the pattern # - gonna need the experts help identifying what pattern it is. The diffractor list:

Jim Edmonds card 20 pattern 1
Aramis Ramirez card 31 pattern ?
Paul Molitor x2 - card 54 pattern 10, card 54 pattern 75
Raul Mondesi card 56 pattern 20
Brad Fullmer card 77 pattern 70
Quinton McCracken x2 - card 82 pattern 48, card 82 pattern 89
Andres Galarraga card 85 pattern 59
Mo Vaughn card 87 pattern 11

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Found my Non-Rockies Diffractors - gonna scan them and post them up here tomorrow afternoon. I have an Aramis Ramirez diffractor and I can't read the pattern # - gonna need the experts help identifying what pattern it is. The diffractor list:

Aramis Ramirez card 31 pattern ?
Paul Molitor x2 - card 54 pattern 10, card 54 pattern 75
Raul Mondesi card 56 pattern 20
Mo Vaughn card 87 pattern 11

These will go fast depending what're looking for.

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
I would be interested in these diffractorsbelow

Paul Molitor - card 54 pattern 10

What are you looking for?

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Sorry have had a rather busy day. Just sat down at the printer and now I gotta cook dinner but I wanted to get up an image of the Aramis and see what pattern you all think it is:

8cfNJp4.jpg
7VlS0eJ.jpg

As you can see the pattern # is tough to read. Will try to get to all PMs tonight and get up scans of the others time permitting.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Sorry have had a rather busy day. Just sat down at the printer and now I gotta cook dinner but I wanted to get up an image of the Aramis and see what pattern you all think it is:

8cfNJp4.jpg
7VlS0eJ.jpg

As you can see the pattern # is tough to read. Will try to get to all PMs tonight and get up scans of the others time permitting.

Pattern 80

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
^ No worries. Some good stuff there. I just got in another pattern for Belle last night, pattern 11, which leaves me with about a dozen patterns to do for Belle.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
I have a whole stack of base cards somewhere in my collection - it's pretty much just opening a box or 2 a night and going through what I have. If I find the base set stuff I'll let you know what I have in Belle. I busted about 2-3 boxes total of this stuff back in '98.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I have a whole stack of base cards somewhere in my collection - it's pretty much just opening a box or 2 a night and going through what I have. If I find the base set stuff I'll let you know what I have in Belle. I busted about 2-3 boxes total of this stuff back in '98.
[MENTION=9603]corockies[/MENTION] - Cool, always appreciated if you keep me in mind when coming across Belle cards in general but I'm looking for about a dozen base patterns for Tek, so any help would be great. Any diffractors are a huge BONUS for the PC lol

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
To everyone who has shown interest in the cards I've posted - I appreciate your interest and offers. However I treat this as a hobby first and a business second. I'm having fun going through everything in my collection and uploading pictures of what I have. I really have little interest in selling anything at the moment - getting organized and figuring out everything I have will make it easier for me to do trades in the future. Nothing is going anywhere currently and those interested in items I have will definitely have first shot at those items when I do start trading / selling.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
? Why post pictures? Ok, so whenever you figure out what you are planning to do, I have 1400 dupe 1998 TEK card to trade. Lists furnished upon request.

The Lankford is one of 3 cards I need to complete a 90 card same card# / pattern # set and the Gallaraga is one of 16 for a 90 cards for a 90 card diffractor set (Set # 2).

Im also collecting Pattern# 1 diffractors as well (Edmonds)

Carl T
[email protected]

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
? Why post pictures? Ok, so whenever you figure out what you are planning to do, I have 1400 dupe 1998 TEK card to trade. Lists furnished upon request.

The Lankford is one of 3 cards I need to complete a 90 card same card# / pattern # set and the Gallaraga is one of 16 for a 90 cards for a 90 card diffractor set (Set # 2).

Carl T
[email protected]

Probably because this is a thread to show, discuss and talk about 1998 Tek cards. Naturally, it has also include talks about cards being available but at its root, it's in the "Baseball" thread and not the "Baseball - Transaction" thread, so he is just showing what he has.

I will agree with you however that it did seem he was posting to show what is available for trade/sale but looking back, he never says this. Unless I'm missing something.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado

Carl T
[email protected]

That's all fine and dandy and your Tek collection is super impressive - but there's no need to be snotty about my posting pictures. Sorry if you don't understand my enjoyment of card collecting in general and not treating every piece of cardboard I own as an investment or not putting a monetary value on cards simply because you or someone else wants them. If I gave off the wrong impression by posting scans of what I own then I'm sorry - I'm just not ready to currently move any inventory as other things in life take higher priority over my hobby.

I do plan on making some of this available in due time - right now I'm only in the process of organizing close to 30 years of cards I've collected.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
No need to get nose out of joint.. Thought you initially were looking for 1998 TEK buyers or 1998 TEK traders. Maybe I misunderstood your posts. If my question regarding the pictures offended you for some reason I apologize. The Teks are beautiful cards. I have the same issue with 30-40 years worth of cards from being a long time off-and-on collector and set builder. Good luck organizing yours.. It took me two months every evening sorting and organizing and I barely made a dent.

Last edited:

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Also had these 6 in the stack card # = pattern #:

36-36.original.jpg
36-36.original.back.jpg

Thanks for posting. While you elected to post some regular same card# pattern# card they aren't worth any more (they should be though) than the regular patterns.

A note regarding 1998 TEK card conditions. For some reason some of the patterns for me while doing the master set were more susceptible to dings and scratching noteably patterns # 27 and # 36. I noticed this while doing a time consuming Condition Upgrade last year.

As an example look at the Dunwoody 36 pat # 36 picture that Rockies guy posted. I found alot of pattern# 36 cards (and # 27s) had the same type missing lines in the pattern design as well as the chipping along the edges of the silver ovals that contained the card# pattern#.. In addition the line that separates the card #and pattern# within the ovals have had problems with misalignment. All the ones he posted seemed to be in great shape except the Dunwoody and the Mondesi regarding misalignment within the ovals. I know its a picky point and many TEK collectors dont care (They just want the specific card pattern for their sets) but I like having near mint to mint card in my completed sets and I did notice a lot of spotting/scratching/black dots on certain pattern when hoarding 98 TEKS

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I thought that the spotting was more of a player-by-player issue. Like I've noticed that it's really hard to get a "clean" Edgar Martinez, but Griffeys seem to be just fine.

Latest posts