Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Need help'/opinions on whether to grade this 1975 Topps Mini Yount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
My buddy has some vintage cards and asked me about grading. I pulled just this one card that appears to me to have the sharpest edges and corners, the centering to me is a bit off the right. I do not grade cards nor do I ever pay much attention to it, so I was hoping some of you could help with opinions on what the grade on something like this may be. The surface on the front is flawless I do know that. There is a printing flaw on the back Any help would be appreciated, is it worth grading? Any ideas on what around it may grade at?

Last edited:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Gradability is tough to judge from scans, especially low-res ones. It looks nice, and still might look nice at 600 dpi, but one surface issue and your 9 turns into a 7. Not sure what that mark is on the back in the lower right corner of the text box is.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
A quick pixel count puts the centering at about 38/60 L/R. T/B looks almost even, assuming they go from the interior border. I don't think that's bad enough to get the dreaded "OC" qualifier. I don't know what that means for PSA or BGS, but I wonder if it will get to a 9 on either. A PSA 8 wouldn't be so bad, assuming he didn't really pay anything for the card. That would increase the value to about $75-$100

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Great thanks guys. Ill let him know. I noticed that little black "smudge" once I scanned it (sorry for the scan I am at work and it isn't very good. I may tell him to give it a shot but if the surface issue on the back drops it 2 whole grades that would be bad. Especially considering the difference in value from a 9 to a 7 or even an 8 for that matter.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I was thinking around a 7, but that mark on the back would have me worried about getting a mk qualifier which would hurt the value quite a bit.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I was just talking to him, and he mentioned that he has a lot of these 75 Topps mini's that are in as good if not better shape than the Yount. Hopefully he brings them in so I can check them out. If he even has 1 or 2 cards that can grade out Gem it would be worth it for him to maybe send in a few other cards and include this card just to see what it comes back at. I am NOT recommending him send just this card as it probably wont be worth the money.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
You could do your buddy a favor and sub them here thru one of JeffV96Masters monthly subs, would save a lot of money.

Go to the grading sub forum for more info

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
You are looking at a PSA8ST or 9ST (Stain). The centering front and back will likely drop it to an 8, not enough to get the dreaded OC but you could luck out with the 9 if the card is without chipping (cant tell on the bottom edge). I cant see PSA overlooking the spot on the back thus my thought about the ST.

If you grade you should do one of the cheap $5 or $6/card deals, it will take about 2-months turn around time but the investment will be minimal.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
You are looking at a PSA8ST or 9ST (Stain). The centering front and back will likely drop it to an 8, not enough to get the dreaded OC but you could luck out with the 9 if the card is without chipping (cant tell on the bottom edge). I cant see PSA overlooking the spot on the back thus my thought about the ST.

If you grade you should do one of the cheap $5 or $6/card deals, it will take about 2-months turn around time but the investment will be minimal.
Wouldn't it get a mk and not st?
Looks more like a mark than a stain.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Wouldn't it get a mk and not st?
Looks more like a mark than a stain.

Yes, I cant tell from the scan so I just wrote ST. ST is most often a production error, printing, gum, glue, etc and MK is post production affects to the card (ink/pencil on the checklist).

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
It's probably just a piece of dark pulp. Being on the back it shouldn't be a problem, although that plus the OC back might have an impact.

AFAIK, MK is for things like marked checklists or notations people used to make ("Traded to Dodgers"), while ST is for less intentional, more stainy kinds of stains.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Regardless of what the card eventually will get, put that bad boy in a holder.

It is, I took it out for the scan and these pictures, but it is back in a penny sleeve and top loader. My buddy had it in a top loader with no penny sleeve when he brought it to me. YIKES

Here is another photo I took, No matter what he decides to do with it I think it is a beauty

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
First- appreciate the props from those who've subbed with and recommended me-- its actually the subbers who dictate how quick orders go out. Following directions is key and we've been blessed with a good group of subbers here at FCB. Monthly sub notifications in the grading sub forum. August just went and am waiting to see what specials Sept brings.

Second- a suggestion- I'd have your friend wait until they run another special at or below $6 per.
Cost with 25 cent added s&h fee should stay at or below $6 per to make it worth his time/investment.

Last- The 75 Minis are a highly collected series on the PSA set registry. Just saying.

As someone else said- that card should be slabbed . Slab fees would easily be recouped.
You can always dictate a minimum to PSA ( its on our forms) or keep raw.
He'll get charged the $6 = but at least he'd know its gradable or not.

Jeff

I appreciate the info. He is supposed to be bringing in a bunch more minis tomorrow so we can check them out and see which ones may be worth a grade. At that point I will see what he wants to do.