Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

eBay seriously doesn't care about sellers stars in: "Lost package" (or "I'm out $210")

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Absolutely it is on the buyer now to get you the $ or card. I do think you should work out a deal w him, but that's up to you. I'm actually surprised he let you know it showed up so maybe he will be honest and get it back to you.

In terms of eBay, what do you want them to do right now? This isn't debating if they are good for seller help, but what is it you want them to do? Just curious. You mentioned you wanted them to reverse the refund, but then that effects the buyer negatively, so I'd say its up to the buyer and yourself to work it out so no one is effected one sided.

Ryan

Technically it isn't affecting the buyer negatively. He got the item he paid for, albeit later than it should have arrived. He agreed to pay the price I was selling it for. at the time of purchase. It's not my fault the card in question isn't worth what he originally paid for it. He could have easily waited two months to purchase at a lower price. But because it's Kris Bryant and everyone's trying to make a buck of his hot start (and then losing it on his dismal skid), it's somehow a different story? If it had been a card for this buyer's private collection, do you think he would have cared as much? Say the card was now selling for $250? Is he going to message me and say "this is going for $250 now how about I pay you that?" It's not fair that it's totally one sided for him to now decide what to he wants to pay for the card in question. That's just a complete dick move. Because if it was worth more, we all know this wouldn't be happening. He would gladly have paid $210 and been done with it.

As stated in the original post, this happened to me in the past, and when the lost item that I refunded a payment for later showed via tracking that it was delivered, eBay reversed the refund and gave me my payment back.

I understand you saying it's on the buyer to either pay up or return the card. That's not the issue. It's that no one is forcing him to do either of those things.

I could message him today and he could give me tracking that doesn't show anything, and eBay wouldn't do anything. He could send me back the card with the redemption code scratched and redeemed, and eBay wouldn't do anything. He could send me an empty envelope with tracking that would show as delivered, and eBay wouldn't do anything for me. He could message me back and tell me that he's keeping the card and his money and again, eBay wouldn't do anything. It's the fact that eBay doesn't want to do anything to help me out as a seller, yet has all kinds of rules and regulations in place to protect buyers. But at the same time are telling me it's not their problem. And it's not like this is some suspicious looking transaction. All the details are shown and documented and all it should take is someone looking at it and using basic common sense to come to the conclusion that they buyer has my money and my card. And that it's not the correct situation. We can discuss the rights and wrongs and responsibilities of everyone involved, be it me, the buyer or eBay itself. But it doesn't take a genius to know that I'm getting hosed. And that there's no guaranteed way for me to come out with this having anything to show for it...

Last edited:

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Well, not sure where you'd take it...but you do have him in a message admitting he got the card. He kinda screwed himself there. If he never sends you the card or the money, isn't that fraud?

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Well, not sure where you'd take it...but you do have him in a message admitting he got the card. He kinda screwed himself there. If he never sends you the card or the money, isn't that fraud?

I do. It was sent through eBay. They have the message to view. But aren't willing to do anything.

My dad is an attorney, so I could conceivably seek his advice, but at the end of the day it's probably not worth our time and effort over $210. Especially when eBay has said they aren't responsible or willing to do anything.

End of the day that's what burns me the most. I know there's a lot of ****ty people in this world and I would expect the buyer to completely hose me, but when a company the size of eBay is presented all the details clearly showing something is wrong and then they say "Not our problem!"....that's a problem.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014

Maybe he didn't screw himself. Maybe he's an honest guy. Maybe he just feels he got shafted in the deal. Everyone is jumping on the buyer (and posting his ebay ID, like he is some criminal), but it isn't his fault it took 2 months to receive the card either.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
For the record, I ****ing despise the way eBay treats their sellers, and there is so much risk selling on eBay. But this is one instance where it doesn't sound like the buyer is really doing anything wrong. He is offering to return the card, right? He admitted receiving the card. Has he really given you any reason to believe he won't send it?

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA
For the record, I ****ing despise the way eBay treats their sellers, and there is so much risk selling on eBay. But this is one instance where it doesn't sound like the buyer is really doing anything wrong. He is offering to return the card, right? He admitted receiving the card. Has he really given you any reason to believe he won't send it?

I completely understand what you're saying. Lack of tone/internet posting being read is almost always going to be taken as angry and hateful. It's not. I'm here presenting a situation with all the details. Yeah, I'm mad. But it's not how my words are intended.

Plenty of reasons. It's been two weeks since he said it was being sent back. He has not responded to requests for tracking.

He could be an honest guy. But so far he's not acting like it.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
I do. It was sent through eBay. They have the message to view. But aren't willing to do anything.

My dad is an attorney, so I could conceivably seek his advice, but at the end of the day it's probably not worth our time and effort over $210. Especially when eBay has said they aren't responsible or willing to do anything.

End of the day that's what burns me the most. I know there's a lot of ****ty people in this world and I would expect the buyer to completely hose me, but when a company the size of eBay is presented all the details clearly showing something is wrong and then they say "Not our problem!"....that's a problem.

Would you father be willing to send this guy a letter using his firms letterhead? A simple request for either returning the card or remitting at least the $150? Could scare the guy into one or the other

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Got a response to my tracking inquiry:

"As we return from the holiday weekend, we received numerous amounts of emails stating that packages were not received. As I looked up our shipping manifest, there was a huge gap of items that were not scanned by USPS. Our office building has an in house mail room. I contacted them this morning and they told me that there were numerous complaints from other tenants about missing mail. The mail room management is looking into it at the moment. Please be patient as we resolve this problem. Within a week, if you still have not received your package please let us know. Thank You for your understanding and have a good day! Your return item maybe in this batch. Your item was returned in the same envelope. The tracking number should be the same as the one you sent to us."

They included a screen shot of packages they have sent out in August with some showing as not delivered. However, there's problems with this message/shot:

1) How can they reuse a label I printed to ship a card to them? Or reuse a tracking number? Isn't that considered mail fraud?
2) The dates next to the missing packages are all from before 8/24. The card was delivered to them on 8/25. Everything after 8/25 shows as delivered.

Not getting my hopes up as the runaround continues...

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I'd keep calling ebay and talking to other reps until you get someone who will help you. Never know, maybe you'll get one on a good day who feels for your situation and is willing to do something.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
The card was a redemption, he wouldn't get the card for almost a year..

I'm waiting on redemptions from Topps for over 2 years now..
(Cespedes auto patch from when he was with Oakland!)

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
You indicate "so I refund the buyer his payment instead of going through the whole claims process. I sent him the refund on August 9th." Would this have been different had you gone through the claims process for a lost item? You would at least have all that documented and EBAY would have had to intervene, right?

Sorry for your loss. I'm trying to figure out how I would have handled this as I am selling more than buying of late.

Good luck.

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA
You indicate "so I refund the buyer his payment instead of going through the whole claims process. I sent him the refund on August 9th." Would this have been different had you gone through the claims process for a lost item? You would at least have all that documented and EBAY would have had to intervene, right?

Sorry for your loss. I'm trying to figure out how I would have handled this as I am selling more than buying of late.

Good luck.

I asked the eBay rep this very question: if it had gone to claims and run its course and eBay had sided with the buyer and refunded the payment, would I now have grounds for eBay to reverse the payment back to me as tracking now shows it as delivered?

ANSWER: NO.

Every scenario I threw at them, they all came back as "we aren't responsible and there's nothing we can (will) do".

That's where a lot of the frustration comes from. They even told me I should think about using different shipping options (UPS, FedEx, etc) in the future. I asked them again, would any of that have made any difference in the outcome? *silence*.........No, we still aren't responsible.

So why are they coming up with all these things I *SHOULD* be doing when NONE OF IT WOULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE?

Very frustrating...

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
I asked the eBay rep this very question: if it had gone to claims and run its course and eBay had sided with the buyer and refunded the payment, would I now have grounds for eBay to reverse the payment back to me as tracking now shows it as delivered?

ANSWER: NO.

Every scenario I threw at them, they all came back as "we aren't responsible and there's nothing we can (will) do".

That's where a lot of the frustration comes from. They even told me I should think about using different shipping options (UPS, FedEx, etc) in the future. I asked them again, would any of that have made any difference in the outcome? *silence*.........No, we still aren't responsible.

So why are they coming up with all these things I *SHOULD* be doing when NONE OF IT WOULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE?

Very frustrating...

Honestly - the way you protect yourself here is to buy insurance for all cards over $100 - then at least if the card showed up, you wouldn't be out the money.

jlyles

Jan 28, 2010
Stop calling eBay and call Paypal. Their customer service has always been great for me when eBay customer service has given me the run around.

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Stop calling eBay and call Paypal. Their customer service has always been great for me when eBay customer service has given me the run around.

THIS!

I called on Saturday and explained the situation. The rep was awesome and easy to talk to, he said he's had the same problems in the past with a few transactions (he sells out of print CD's). He was extremely willing to listen to me and relate to what I was going through. He tried emailing the buyer in hopes they would do the right thing and resubmit payment. They didn't. So today, after looking back through my Paypal account and seeing that this isn't a common occurrence and that I do a lot of business through them, he was willing to reimburse me by reversing some of my Paypal fee costs from the past months, and provided me with a total refund of more than the original payment i received! I wouldn't expect this to be a common occurrence if it happened multiple times, but the fact that they went above and beyond is awesome and appreciated.

It's amazing to see the stark contrast in customer service between eBay and Paypal. Makes you wonder if that was part of the reason for them splitting into separate companies...

End of the day I'm pretty happy, still pissed that they buyer got a free Kris Bryant auto and wasn't willing to be a good person and do the right thing. Hopefully karma comes back to get him in the future...

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Glad to hear you got some decent resolution in the end! And yes, that buyer is horrible to take the card for free at this point. In regards to CS being part of the split of companies, no chance, that was strictly a $ play for investors who believe PP has a bigger possible outreach than it currently does/did.

Ryan

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
THIS!

I called on Saturday and explained the situation. The rep was awesome and easy to talk to, he said he's had the same problems in the past with a few transactions (he sells out of print CD's). He was extremely willing to listen to me and relate to what I was going through. He tried emailing the buyer in hopes they would do the right thing and resubmit payment. They didn't. So today, after looking back through my Paypal account and seeing that this isn't a common occurrence and that I do a lot of business through them, he was willing to reimburse me by reversing some of my Paypal fee costs from the past months, and provided me with a total refund of more than the original payment i received! I wouldn't expect this to be a common occurrence if it happened multiple times, but the fact that they went above and beyond is awesome and appreciated.

It's amazing to see the stark contrast in customer service between eBay and Paypal. Makes you wonder if that was part of the reason for them splitting into separate companies...

End of the day I'm pretty happy, still pissed that they buyer got a free Kris Bryant auto and wasn't willing to be a good person and do the right thing. Hopefully karma comes back to get him in the future...

That's a great story, and I'm happy for you. However, Carl Ichan was the only reason they split into two companies.

Members online