Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Will Rhys Hoskins have any rookie cards this year?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side

Time to go digging through my shoe boxes of extra 2014 Bowman Draft paper, chrome & refractors cards. Earlier this year I did the same with my 2013 Bowman Draft extras and found a few chrome & refractor Judge cards. This is why you never toss or throw up all the duplicate cards in a lot on e-bay after ripping your cases of Bowman. Could be some hidden gems a few years down the line.

I didn't know they were going for quite this much either but I had assumed they would be selling like hot cakes after hitting 11 home runs in his first 64 at-bats.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Time to go digging through my shoe boxes of extra 2014 Bowman Draft paper, chrome & refractors cards. Earlier this year I did the same with my 2013 Bowman Draft extras and found a few chrome & refractor Judge cards. This is why you never toss or throw up all the duplicate cards in a lot on e-bay after ripping your cases of Bowman. Could be some hidden gems a few years down the line.

I didn't know they were going for quite this much either but I had assumed they would be selling like hot cakes after hitting 11 home runs in his first 64 at-bats.

Nothing better to do at the moment because of the flooding here, so I will do the same. Let me know what you come up with.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
One 1st BC ref. so far but I remember why I hated busting 2014 BDPP, bigly mis-cut top to bottom.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
Nothing better to do at the moment because of the flooding here, so I will do the same. Let me know what you come up with.

Yeah, I heard it's been real bad out there with the flooding. Has it started to lighten up or is it especially bad near where you live?

Has your kid been enjoying the days off from school or has he just been freaked out by the weather?

I'll let you know if I find anything. When Pomeranz is done pitching (I try to watch the starts from pitchers in my fantasy league when I get the chance) I'll go rummaging through my stuff. Definitely a nice find with the refractor!

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Yeah, I heard it's been real bad out there with the flooding. Has it started to lighten up or is it especially bad near where you live?

Has your kid been enjoying the days off from school or has he just been freaked out by the weather?

I'll let you know if I find anything. When Pomeranz is done pitching (I try to watch the starts from pitchers in my fantasy league when I get the chance) I'll go rummaging through my stuff. Definitely a nice find with the refractor!

It has lightened up compared to the last couple of days but it is still raining. We have been very fortunate as our street has not flooded and we have not been without power. Not sure if you have seen photos of Buffalo Bayou and downtown but we are two blocks west of downtown and two blocks south of the bayou. I have two kids, one girl about to enter 5th grade and a boy about to enter the 2nd grade. They both were supposed to start on Monday but school has been canceled for the week. The Emergency Alert system has been continuously going off for flash floods, thunderstorms and tornadoes for days now. So that has made them a bit nervous but watching the news they realize how much worse it could be for them.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
It has lightened up compared to the last couple of days but it is still raining. We have been very fortunate as our street has not flooded and we have not been without power. Not sure if you have seen photos of Buffalo Bayou and downtown but we are two blocks west of downtown and two blocks south of the bayou. I have two kids, one girl about to enter 5th grade and a boy about to enter the 2nd grade. They both were supposed to start on Monday but school has been canceled for the week. The Emergency Alert system has been continuously going off for flash floods, thunderstorms and tornadoes for days now. So that has made them a bit nervous but watching the news they realize how much worse it could be for them.

Yeah, I've seen some of the pictures and it's pretty disastrous. When you've got cars completely bellow water it's never a good thing. It's never fortunate to end up in a hurricane of this magnitude but you lucked out if your area wasn't hit as hard as Buffalo Bayou or the downtown area. I'm hearing some areas could reach 50 inches. The magnitude of that is catastrophic. I can't imagine. It's pretty cool that your kids at their age are still able to recognize how much worse it is for others while they are in the midst of a natural disaster. During a time like this it shows they have compassion for others and aren't only focusing on their own fears/problems. I was around their age in California back in '94 when we were hit with a 6.7M earthquake (well known as one of the most catastrophic & deadliest earthquakes in Cali history) and that scared the **** out of me so I feel for them. And to be honest, I'd rather have to deal with an earthquake than a hurricane. I'm fortunate enough never to have experienced one. I'm glad no one in your family was hurt. Hopefully it calms down soon.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Time to go digging through my shoe boxes of extra 2014 Bowman Draft paper, chrome & refractors cards. This is why you never toss or throw up all the duplicate cards in a lot on e-bay after ripping your cases of Bowman. Could be some hidden gems a few years down the line.

I went through a case worth of chromes and refs. I came up with 3 - Hoskins chromes along with the mentioned ref., and 3 - Devers chromes as well. While I had issues with the way the chrome refs. were cut, I did not have any issue with the base chromes which look solid. I am sure if I took the time to also go through the paper I would get numerous copies of each as well.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
I hate this debate. It's just way simpler to do things the way they were done in the first 100 years of the hobby so you don't have all these artificial rules and loopholes. Rhys Hoskins's RCs were in 2014.

Incorrect.

Those are prospect cards.

You don't have a Rookie Card until you are MLB Rookie. Everything up until that point is a prospect card, everything after that is a veteran card.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Incorrect. Rookie cards are the first year a player appears in a major league set, the same way it's always been.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Incorrect. Rookie cards are the first year a player appears in a major league set, the same way it's always been.

Exactly. It's been that way ever since I grew up collecting. Even back in the '90s rookie cards were printed years before they were called up. I could not care less if a player has a rookie card years before he is called up. I don't get why some people are so hung up on that.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Then when you have players called up and they have cards the same year, or even later the same year if you want to be a stickler about debut dates, they STILL aren't considered rookie cards until the next year when they get the logo on them.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009

In your example, Rhys Hoskins 2014 Bowman Draft card is not a major league set. Its a subset to the 2014 Bowman Prospects set. The major league set in 2014 would be 2014 Bowman - as the players are on the 40-man rosters and fully-licensed by both MLB and MLBPA.

Quick way to figure it out - if the jersey on the player is airbrushed, it shouldn't be considered a rookie card.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Would you consider this a Rookie Card? Even though it says Rookie Card on it?

2001 Bowman Chrome Victor Hall?
51Z%2BszoDi5L.jpg

Victor Hall never played an inning in the MLB. He spent all 10 years of career in the minors. How can one have a Rookie Card without ever actually being a MLB Rookie?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Would you consider this a Rookie Card? Even though it says Rookie Card on it?

2001 Bowman Chrome Victor Hall?
51Z%2BszoDi5L.jpg

Victor Hall never played an inning in the MLB. He spent all 10 years of career in the minors. How can one have a Rookie Card without ever actually being a MLB Rookie?

Until 2006, the year of the Rookie rules (implemented by MLBPA's Judy Heeter, who admittedly knew absolutely nothing about baseball cards), the words "rookie card" referred to the card itself, not the player's career. Therefore, being the first card of Diaz, this was considered his rookie card.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
Until 2006, the year of the Rookie rules (implemented by MLBPA's Judy Heeter, who admittedly knew absolutely nothing about baseball cards), the words "rookie card" referred to the card itself, not the player's career. Therefore, being the first card of Diaz, this was considered his rookie card.

I remember the big debate over the Alex Gordon "RC" that was removed from the set late in production because it didn't meet the newly implemented rookie card requirements. The ones that did slip through into packs went for big money back then. It was at the top of Beckett's hot list for a long time and it was even on the news.

I was not a fan of the new guidelines at the time because because all the new non-prospect sets being released for the next couple years were full of "rookie cards" of players who had already been in other products for at least a few years, therefor there were no new exciting rookie cards of players who had not already been in other sets coming out in the licensed products. That is why I pretty much stuck with Bowman products for the next few years. It took me awhile to get adjusted to the new rules but after a 2 or 3 year hiatus from cards I decided I really didn't care. These days I pretty much stick to only collecting/investing 1st year Bowman autos anyway (the only exception are major league players who I PC. I'll buy pretty much anything that is autographed by Goldschmidt or Freeman with the exception of IP autos & non-licensed products). Whether someone else wants to refer to them as prospect cards or rookie cards I really don't care.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009

Understood, but would you consider it a Rookie Card now considering how the paradigm has shifted?

The same can be said for the 1985 Topps Mark McGwire USA. Lots of debate over XRC versus RC. Most people today now consider his 1987 Topps his Rookie Card and his 1985 Topps a "prospect" or extended rookie card.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Understood, but would you consider it a Rookie Card now considering how the paradigm has shifted?

The same can be said for the 1985 Topps Mark McGwire USA. Lots of debate over XRC versus RC. Most people today now consider his 1987 Topps his Rookie Card and his 1985 Topps a "prospect" or extended rookie card.

I opposed these rules 11 years ago, and nothing's changed since.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts