Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Built a player website? Know websites? Share your thoughts and recommendations!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I had a pretty decent free one for a bit. I don't even remember who the host was that had a page builder and was pretty easy to use. Its irrelevant as the host suddenly seemed to go out of business without warning. Lots of time wasted so I probably should have spent money though for free it was nice while it lasted.

I just contributed NO useful information and I apologize

If you remember your address, you might see if the Internet Archive got a copy in the Way Back Machine at archive.org.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
If you remember your address, you might see if the Internet Archive got a copy in the Way Back Machine at archive.org.

Ha, yeah thought about that but it would probably be so out of date with my collection it would make more sense to start over anyway

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
Weebly vs. Wix...Any limit on how many pictures you can have? Could you give approx. costs that a player collector may be in for with these sites? I like them both!!

Weebly domain registration is $40 per year, but you don't have to have that as long as you don't mind "weebly" being in the address.

File storage is unlimited, so you can have as many pictures as you want. I currently have around 4500 scans on my site.

So it could be free, or if you want your own domain $40, and if you want all traces of weebly gone off of the page (ProAccount) it would be a shade under $90 per year for everything.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Weebly vs. Wix...Any limit on how many pictures you can have? Could you give approx. costs that a player collector may be in for with these sites? I like them both!!

With Wix I received a domain, unlimited Google Adwords, unlimited Facebook ads, 10GB of storage, and unlimited bandwidth for $72 a year. That was a 50% off sale price, but they run the sale several times a year.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Weebly domain registration is $40 per year, but you don't have to have that as long as you don't mind "weebly" being in the address.

File storage is unlimited, so you can have as many pictures as you want. I currently have around 4500 scans on my site.

So it could be free, or if you want your own domain $40, and if you want all traces of weebly gone off of the page (ProAccount) it would be a shade under $90 per year for everything.

Even if they offer unlimited file storage, what's the bandwidth offered? With limited bandwidth for data transfer and a ton of scans, readers might only be able to load your page a few times a month, then you'll have reached your bandwidth limit and your site won't work properly. Has this ever happened to you?

- Rodrick

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
Mine, Cleveland Sweet Spotting, is done on Wordpress. Once I found a theme that I liked it was easy.

i would love to just get a domain name for it (Clevelandsweetspotting.com or something), but then I would lose all much current content...and that would be a bummer.

update a bunch, but ignore page views...do this for yourself!

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
Even if they offer unlimited file storage, what's the bandwidth offered? With limited bandwidth for data transfer and a ton of scans, readers might only be able to load your page a few times a month, then you'll have reached your bandwidth limit and your site won't work properly. Has this ever happened to you?

- Rodrick

It's unlimited too

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Site links

Weebly: www.weebly.com

Wix: www.wix.com

I'm torn from a quick view. Weebly is much easier to understand how it all works and Wix makes you dig a little. Unsure about the bandwidth question.

I have a domain, so that's not a factor for me. I'd spend $100/year, no problem, now to pick which site and run with it I guess...

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I've had www.markgrace.com since 1998 (had gracecollector.com before that). It is done in Dreamweaver. I do all the graphics myself using Adobe Photoshop. I host it with 2mhost.com, which costs about $50 a year total for hosting and domain name registration. Because of its longevity, content and relevant URL, it has a decent Google ranking, which has attracted advertising inquiries. Last year I made over $500 on text links, so having the site more than pays for itself. Its main benefits are that I can share my collection with the world, have access to images of all my cards whenever I want (great at cardshows now with my tablet), and lets people see that I'm a passionate, dedicated collector. That helps with card negotiations. It also pays off with people contacting me now and then out of the blue about a nice Mark Grace card, like the one I posted today in the 2005 Absolute thread.

Wow, 2mhost.com is actually pretty cheap compared to the other two. Not as flashy for a website but looks actually better when it come to space and bandwidth?

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Wow, 2mhost.com is actually pretty cheap compared to the other two. Not as flashy for a website but looks actually better when it come to space and bandwidth?

I went looking for just cheap hosting last year, since I didn't need bells and whistles. I've moved all my sites there now, cut my costs by 65%.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Think I'm going with Wix.

I also think I might tap a member or two for a little help making some graphics or background photos for my site for some PayPal ;)

weight333

May 28, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
http://davideich.jalbum.net/

I came across this Rickey Henderson fan site a while back. jAlbum is built for thousands and thousands of uploaded images. Looks like if you sign up for 3 years it'll cost roughly $20 a year. I also have been contemplating building a player site for my collection. As some mentioned earlier, it would be a great reference when you're physically away from your collection and need to double check your inventory. I have hundreds of non-card items for Bonds that it regularly becomes a blur when I see something I think I 'may' need. This isn't the fanciest platform but looks to serve the purpose of organizing images in a neat manner. And this example is definitely helped out by this collector's awesome RH collection!

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA

I came across this Rickey Henderson fan site a while back. jAlbum is built for thousands and thousands of uploaded images. Looks like if you sign up for 3 years it'll cost roughly $20 a year. I also have been contemplating building a player site for my collection. As some mentioned earlier, it would be a great reference when you're physically away from your collection and need to double check your inventory. I have hundreds of non-card items for Bonds that it regularly becomes a blur when I see something I think I 'may' need. This isn't the fanciest platform but looks to serve the purpose of organizing images in a neat manner. And this example is definitely helped out by this collector's awesome RH collection!

I use jalbum, and its free if you are uploading to a different site. If you have jalbum store your images, then it costs money for storage upgrades.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
I've used the free Weebly for years now.
I have my own domain name which I link to Weebly.
I just use photobucket to host the pictures.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country

That's [MENTION=6832]DavidEich[/MENTION] site. He still updates it, but I think he's been focusing more on www.ThePCList.com lately. He can probably give you tips if needed.

This notice is required by law.

Members online