Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why aren't there relics of the outer part of the bat?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
The thread about buying a full game used bat versus a bat knob baseball card got me thinking about something else and something that on a much bigger scale has already bothered me about relic or game used baseball cards...

Why don't they use more of the items or use them in a much more efficient way? For example, why don't they cut the game used baseball bats like we skin carrots or cucumbers, essentially making it so they are using the worn part of the bat and the part of the bat which has character and marks, etc. They'd still have the inside of the bat to cut up into wood chips and use in base relic cards anyways... just don't understand.

Thoughts or examples of when this has been done?

I'd go on to talk about why all parts of the jersey aren't used too but I don't want to rant for days but I wonder sometimes where all the laundry tags, buttons, etc. are for Albert Belle for example considering he has had jersey relic cards for years now and never seen anything but a basic swatch or patch...

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Interesting take on this one oh great grass hopper.
so you saying more like this
670px-Peel-a-Carrot-Step-15.jpg

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
[MENTION=3132]Pine Tar[/MENTION] - Yes, more or less... I just think the idea of carving the outer pieces off and using those to show the wear and tear is almost a no brainer... especially considering they'd still have the inside of the bat to chop up into what hey use it for anyways. Just think this is a huge relic thing they are not doing and it is probably pretty easy.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I had a couple from 2000 Fleer 3000 club. I should have scans on my computer and will try to post later.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
A wood plane would just give you thin curlicues, and the round bat would only give a faint stripe of paint on the first pass. It can be done, but just a more time consuming and costly practice to get the rounded edge swatches onto a card. A rounded-edge swatch needs to be on a much thicker card stock too.

Plus then they'd actually have to buy game-used bats instead of just 2x4's from the local Home Depot.

wood-planes.jpg

05DONLLBATBARRELPATCH1rotated.jpg
04LEAFLIMITEDLJ2rotated.jpg
06FLEERGOTGBATBARREL1.jpg

Last edited:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Aside from barrel nameplate cards, I have one bat card that actually include the surface of the bat. It's a 1997 Leaf Thomas Collection bat, which were #/100, and were from when GU cards were just starting up. If bat cards weren't super-common, they'd probably be more inclined to do special things with them.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
A wood plane would just give you thin curlicues, and the round bat would only give a faint stripe of paint on the first pass. It can be done, but just a more time consuming and costly practice to get the rounded edge swatches onto a card. Plus then they'd actually have to buy game-used bats instead of just 2x4's from the local Home Depot.

wood-planes.jpg
LOL!!!

Yes, it would take more time and also cost more money I'm assuming but would add that much more to a "relic" and show some character IMO.

As for it avoiding them from actually buying game used... well... damn, you're probably right.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
This Fisk is the only card that I've ever seen with the outer part of the bat still on it.

fisktrib1.jpg

It's just on the very top edge but it's there. you'd think there would be more bat cards like it...

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I think it was an episode of "Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe" that showed how companies salvage sunken trees from the icy waters of Washington and British Columbia. These are trees that were harvested over 100 years ago, but sunk to the bottom of the river when being floated down stream to the mill. The cold water preserved them perfectly, so they are old growth and hugely valuable. Since they are in a very finite supply, rather than actually building anything with them, they basically strip the bark, then put the trees on a giant version of a potato peeler that slowly cuts the tree into thin sheets of wood that are then used as veneers to make cheaper furniture look more impressive. It's probably simpler for a tree, which is more or less evenly surfaced, but somewhat more difficult for the odd shape of a bat. Though the same principle would apply.

I imagine the density of the wood would also determine how "peelable" the surface would be. Harder wood, like the ash used for baseball bats, might be more liable to chip and splinter than softer woods used for furniture.

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
[MENTION=3300]vwnut13[/MENTION] - Wow, never seen that before and what a great card and concept. Very neat, surprised it's numbered as high as it is!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
[MENTION=1794]A_Pharis[/MENTION] - WHOA! This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I have never seen such a card but these are very cool. Why doesn't Topps do this?! I just don't get it. They are such nice cards and actually feel and look like real relics from a bat and not some chip from a piece of wood from Lowes.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Plus then they'd actually have to buy game-used bats instead of just 2x4's from the local Home Depot.

LOL! :D Probably some truth there!
@MansGame, you are absolutely right about this being an underutilized aspect in the hobby. Generic bat cards are looked down upon compared to the barrel cards. This would be a great way to add value/coolnes to bat cards.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
LOL! :D Probably some truth there!
@MansGame, you are absolutely right about this being an underutilized aspect in the hobby. Generic bat cards are looked down upon compared to the barrel cards. This would be a great way to add value/coolnes to bat cards.
and I don't think it's too much to ask really... I think it's just a brain fart of Topps because they are wasting a piece of the bat that would be seen as premium IMO. Not to mention with how popular name plates are and knobs, think if there was one of the other markings on the bat and you could make them #/3 or something too. I just think it's so stupid they haven't thought of this yet.

A_Pharis

@A_Pharis - WHOA! This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I have never seen such a card but these are very cool. Why doesn't Topps do this?! I just don't get it. They are such nice cards and actually feel and look like real relics from a bat and not some chip from a piece of wood from Lowes.

And I believe the card stock on those are normal, but the bat pieces actually protrude quite a bit. I now the Musial piece sticks out pretty far.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
And I believe the card stock on those are normal, but the bat pieces actually protrude quite a bit. I now the Musial piece sticks out pretty far.
Just such a nice piece. I'm assuming you own it... can you take a picture from the side to show how thing or that it protrudes? Man, I've never seen these and I love it... really wish Topps did this.

A_Pharis

Just such a nice piece. I'm assuming you own it... can you take a picture from the side to show how thing or that it protrudes? Man, I've never seen these and I love it... really wish Topps did this.

I own none of them. All from eBay.

The Winfield is $40 OBO if you want to go make an offer on it. The Henderson is $50 OBO, I think.

The Musial seller is asking $299 OBO. I'd take it at around $125.

Members online