Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ryan Dempster Signs With the Red Sox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Red Sox To Sign Ryan Dempster
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 13 at 1:51pm CST]
The Red Sox have agreed to sign free agent right-hander Ryan Dempster, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports (Twitter links). The sides have agreed to a two-year, $26.5MM contract, pending a physical. Rosenthal reported this morning that the Red Sox were nearing a deal with Dempster, a client of LSW Baseball.

Dempster, 35, posted a 3.38 ERA with 8.0 K/9, 2.7 BB/9 and a 43.5% ground ball rate in 173 innings for the Cubs and Rangers in 2012. The 15-year veteran saw his average fastball velocity dip below 90 mph, but he continued generating swings and misses. His 10.4% swinging strike rate was right around his career mark of 10.8%. He's not linked to draft pick compensation, which means the Red Sox won't have to surrender a pick to complete the deal.

Earlier in the offseason Dempster turned down a two-year, $25MM offer from the Boston. The Brewers also made a two-year offer and the Royals were interested. Dempster ranked 16th on MLBTR's list of top 50 free agents this year.

The Red Sox needed rotation depth for the 2013 season. Their rotation options now include Dempster, Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, Felix Doubront, John Lackey and Franklin Morales.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I don't expect Dempster to add any real value to this team. Seems to be a real fear-based, desperation move on Cherrington's part. I'd say there's a 10-20% chance he actually has any significant impact for good on the team the next two years. We shall see.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
If his performance with Texas was a sign of how it will go for him in the AL...

He pitched well for TX in half his starts, but doing well half the time is not going to help Boston win anything, unless they make him their #5 starter and hope he outduels other team's #5 guys? In that case, he could win 60% of his games. He's a career 124-124, 4.33 ERA pitcher. That's not going to impact the Sox team too much, IMO.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Guys, he is much better than you are giving him credit for. Look at his numbers PRE-injury last year. He was leading the NL in ERA until he got hurt. He was never 100% after missing those 3 weeks towards the end of the season. You will be happy with him, trust me.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I don't hate the signing, as Dempster is a decent pitcher who is very durable and can easily give you 180-200+ innings. We might have given him a tad too much money but it strengthens our rotation and more pitching depth never hurts. I'm not surprised by the signing because the Red Sox have been interested in Dempster for a couple years now.

Matt Clement 2.0 :mad:
There's a name I haven't heard in a while, lol. This signing might work out a tad better than that one did. ;)

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
He pitched well for TX in half his starts, but doing well half the time is not going to help Boston win anything, unless they make him their #5 starter and hope he outduels other team's #5 guys? In that case, he could win 60% of his games. He's a career 124-124, 4.33 ERA pitcher. That's not going to impact the Sox team too much, IMO.
He has a 3.74 ERA over his past 5 seasons, so as a #3-4 guy I believe that will make a solid impact.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
He has a 3.74 ERA over his past 5 seasons, so as a #3-4 guy I believe that will make a solid impact.

I hope you're right. He's being regarded as a good clubhouse guy, durable, etc, so it can't be all bad. I'd rather invest that money elsewhere and lean on a few younger arms like De La Rosa, Webster, etc. Enough with these bloated contracts for guys that can't make it past the 4th inning in half their starts. I just ain't into that sh-t. If every game was incentive based, we'd see a lot more excitement in the game of baseball. Big contracts make the majority of these guys lose their edge.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I hope you're right. He's being regarded as a good clubhouse guy, durable, etc, so it can't be all bad. I'd rather invest that money elsewhere and lean on a few younger arms like De La Rosa, Webster, etc. Enough with these bloated contracts for guys that can't make it past the 4th inning in half their starts. I just ain't into that sh-t. If every game was incentive based, we'd see a lot more excitement in the game of baseball. Big contracts make the majority of these guys lose their edge.
I agree but Dempster can easily give us 6-7 innings and it's only a 2 year contract. Webster and De La Rosa are probably still a year away from making a big impact on the team so Dempster is the middle of the rotation stopgap until they are ready. I'm just glad the Red Sox signed a pitcher and didn't trade away prospects to get one, and also signed one that doesn't cost us a draft pick.

I'm interested in seeing how Doubront does next year with a full season now under his belt. Hopefully now his arm will hold up for the whole season...I'm not too concerned as this year was the most innings he has ever thrown in professional ball. Lester should have a bounce back year, Buchholz will be solid assuming he doesn't implode the first couple months again, and Lackey....well I think a healthy Lackey will be decent enough to eat some innings. He is probably the reason we won't give long contracts to FA pitchers anymore. With that said our rotation should be an improvement over last season and our bullpen will still be in tact so even having a slightly lesser offense we shouldn't finish in the basement (at least I hope not :???:)

We have some good young arms so our rotation is looking pretty set the next several years (barring a trade, but I think BC is smart enough not to mess with our future)

oiccup41

Aug 27, 2010
Maine
I believe that Matt Clement had a decent 1st half of his 1st season with the Red Sox before he was hit in the head. If I remember correctly he may have made the all star team.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I'm not sure I'd even bet on the Red Sox breaking .500 at this point, BUT they look like they have a lot of potential to become a TEAM again, like in 04', when there was a lot of balance. If Middlebrooks steps up like I think he will, and Papi, Ells, and Pedroia stay healthy, the team should be competitive. And who knows, perhaps Bogaerts and Brentz can make an impact in the 2nd half if they do well the 1st half down on the farm. There is potential in 2013, but everything would have to fall into place perfectly, and that is a lot to ask based on the past couple years. If Lester and Buchholz don't return to form, there is little hope of getting beyond May with even a glimmer of hope.

Anyway, how many days til pitchers and catchers report? :D

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
RYAN DUMPSTER!!!

i-see-what-you-did-there-cat-8ddsxu.jpg

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I'm not sure I'd even bet on the Red Sox breaking .500 at this point, BUT they look like they have a lot of potential to become a TEAM again, like in 04', when there was a lot of balance. If Middlebrooks steps up like I think he will, and Papi, Ells, and Pedroia stay healthy, the team should be competitive. And who knows, perhaps Bogaerts and Brentz can make an impact in the 2nd half if they do well the 1st half down on the farm. There is potential in 2013, but everything would have to fall into place perfectly, and that is a lot to ask based on the past couple years. If Lester and Buchholz don't return to form, there is little hope of getting beyond May with even a glimmer of hope.

Anyway, how many days til pitchers and catchers report? :D
TOO MANY!!!

I am staying cautiously optimistic for the upcoming season....we'll see what Dempster does over a full season in the AL.

Latest posts