Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
I want to preface this post by saying that no one did anything wrong, there are no issues, and I am NOT complaining about anyone or any cards. But this card is a perfect example of something that annoys me.

I love the 90 with a passion. Everything about the hobby for me personally stems from collecting early in my life, and even though I was collecting in the 80's, it really was the 90's that is the root of the passion as a player collector!!. For me the 80's and 90's rare cards always relates to being a player collector, so when I see a player collector with a great card, I get all warm and fuzzy inside. THe cards have a special glow, an aura. Angels sing and dance above said card. But when I see a rare card being shown off of guy that no one cares about, I am annoyed. Why would anyone show off a card of a nobody? If there is no connection to the player (even a set collector I can live with) it's just a common. A set filler. I know we need commons to make our players harder to get. They have their place, but not to be shown off!?! A 1997 Mirror Gold of a nobody in not interesting to me at all. They are actually dull, and dingy. An instant winner of Vinny Castilla is just nonsensical. IT's a common. No better than a blank filler card. But when it is attached to a collector, then I just have a totally different feeling about it.

That's what I feel when Gwynn cards pop up! ;)

You never know who people collect. If you would have told me 2 years ago that there was someone that collected Rusty Greer & Richard Hidalgo, I would have fell over laughing.

These are still amazing cards, regardless of the player.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Sad thing is, I actually have a small pc of vinny Castilla and would be interested on that card. That's why it helps to collect many different players. I might never find a bagwell version....

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Easiest thing to do about that is just move along to the next post and ignore the one that seems to annoy you so much ;)
Uhh..thanks? I don't remember saying I had a hard time skipping over posts...
Yeah, more cards of a TRUE superstar - Tim "Rock" Raines
LOL! You really know how to twist that knife when it's in deep!

Sadly this hobby is not all about YOU,,,, your feelings,,,, or your inability to see beyond your own life and take the viewpoint of others,,,,

Thanks for taking time to let everyone know how annoyed YOU personally are when people show off commons of cards YOU personally cannot relate to or comprehend why they are purchased or owned,,,,,

The title of the thread says "super sweet 90's inserts" ,,,,, The posts don't have to involve known player collectors ,,,, no qualifier save "90's insert" should be needed,,,,

Because you may or may not personally be affected by the card shown does not mean it is a meaningless post of "some common no one cares about" ,,,,,,

Start appreciating the fact other people actually learn to move on when a post means nothing to them on a personal level,,,,,

Even if I know fully well the guy posting it is a flipper/reseller with no interest in long term ownership I still enjoy seeing cards of any type shown,,,,,,

MOVE ON if its a post that annoys you,,,,,,

Jeff

Whoah! I don't know what annoys me more, Vinny Castilla cards, or your giant font...
Nonetheless, I am not sure why, on a sports card message board, I cannot express my opinion... You just gave yours, and I appreciate it, but I was just giving my feelings, too. Not sure of the difference.

That's what I feel when Gwynn cards pop up! ;)

You never know who people collect. If you would have told me 2 years ago that there was someone that collected Rusty Greer & Richard Hidalgo, I would have fell over laughing.

These are still amazing cards, regardless of the player.
Trust me, without commons, Gwynn would BE the common! I appreciate them on some level!
:D
Sad thing is, I actually have a small pc of vinny Castilla and would be interested on that card. That's why it helps to collect many different players. I might never find a bagwell version....
See, just by you saying that, the Vinny Castilla Instant Winner just gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling...I hope it makes it into your collection!!

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
Uhh..thanks? I don't remember saying I had a hard time skipping over posts...

And your paragraph long rant about it surely proves that!

Just giving you crap man, personally I enjoy seeing rare inserts whether they are crap players or not. I know how tough those Instant Winners are, so it's always interesting to me to see one!

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
And your paragraph long rant about it surely proves that!

Just giving you crap man, personally I enjoy seeing rare inserts whether they are crap players or not. I know how tough those Instant Winners are, so it's always interesting to me to see one!

LOL! I tried not to sound like a rant! I was trying to wax eloquent on my thoughts as a player collector, compared to a 90's Enthusiast! :D

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
LOL! I tried not to sound like a rant! I was trying to wax eloquent on my thoughts as a player collector, compared to a 90's Enthusiast! :D

We were due for a little opining- thanks for posting your opinion to spice things up a little. It's nice to break up the sheer gloriousness of super sweet scans every once in a while. It keeps them glorious! However, I know I disagree with you because I recall just the other day drooling over some of the fleer starting 9 Kevin Stocker and Mike Jerzembeck listed on ebay. I will say though, that perhaps I appreciate those cards mostly because I covet a Manny Ramirez version of that insert.... :D

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
We were due for a little opining- thanks for posting your opinion to spice things up a little. It's nice to break up the sheer gloriousness of super sweet scans every once in a while. It keeps them glorious! However, I know I disagree with you because I recall just the other day drooling over some of the fleer starting 9 Kevin Stocker and Mike Jerzembeck listed on ebay. I will say though, that perhaps I appreciate those cards mostly because I covet a Manny Ramirez version of that insert.... :D

lol

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
1997NewPinnacleArtistsProofs131.jpg

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Or do I need approval on its "warm fuzzy feeling" first because he's not player collected ( feel free to show me someone besides me who collects Nomo ) ???

NOMO96CCYMTPGoldSig.jpg

Jeff

Wait, Nomo is not "player collected", yet you "collect" him??? I am so confused!! You don't need my approval, but yes, if you player collect Nomo then I have a warm, fuzzy feeling about that card. (God knows it took me forever to find the second Gwynn). If you don't collect Nomo, then that card is neither super nor sweet, and is a waste of space, in my opinion.

And [MENTION=2418]George_Calfas[/MENTION], I had to take lighter fluid to my eyeballs after seeing that Quinton McCracken...thanks a lot!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
LOL!!!

"Oh Super Sweet '90s Inserts" can be defined as a super sweet '90s insert SET or an INDIVIDUAL card.... IMO I like seeing rare inserts even if they are of a nobody but I will agree that seeing the kick a$$ '90s inserts of great players or HOF players is much better than guys where you go "who the F is that" lol.

Anyways, let's try and keep the thread going and not flame away with posting rare '90s inserts of common players out of spite ;)

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
These 90s threads would still be on #1 and a whole lot less fun if it was just post a Griffey or Thomas from each of these cool issues etc etc.! I get what you're trying to say though. If I posted a 96 Mirror Gold Ben McDonald (a Brewer in the set) it wouldn't "feel" all that special despite being a tough and pretty card. Now if I posted a Greg Vaughn (who I actually collect and continue to hunt for a copy of that card) you might appreciate it more knowing that despite relative value to other "star" players you would know the time and effort I would have put into locating one would have been considerable (and is still on going!) and would likely make my collecting year as those cards have done for others each time one is finally "landed". However...rare is rare and I believe you yourself lauded the posting of only semi-rare cards in earlier incarnations of the 90s threads (apologies if it was someone else). Now I'm wandering and have lost focus but immapost a Vaughn if ever I find one, probably thrice! Lets embrace those who derive joy from collecting

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Haha, just had a chance to read the thread since I posted the Vinny. While I realize he's not the most celebrated of players, I have a soft spot in my heart for the CC You Crash the Game cards. I have a nearly complete set of the '96 Gold Redeemed wooden cards, and I pick up extras to trade when I can. I was pleased with the Vinny because it's the first 1997 Instant Winner I've found in a long time, and, while I probably overpaid ($8 on ebay), I'll gladly put it in my YCTG binder. I may or may not keep it, I'd certainly trade it for a Thomas card I want or more cards to finish my other Crash sets, if I ever get the chance to build the IW set, I've got one in the books for that day.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts