Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Season Long Flip Quest Starting with a 1989 UD Puig Rookie - Join In!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
When it rains, it pours.

Aside from selling another book, the soccer lot, and 2 boxes of cards (with one pending payment) I bought another massive lot. This was from the same guy who sold me the unopened boxes last weekend. I had asked previously if this was all he had, and he said no. He said he had about 2x as much in loose cards in boxes, etc. but could not fit them in his truck. I asked if I could see them, though he was nearly an hour away, and he said sure!

The day before I was supposed to go over there, he asked to meet. I was confused because I thought he had mentioned the rest of them could not fit in his truck. I really wanted to go to his house to see them so that way none would be left behind. His girlfriend was worried about me being stranger danger / the craigs list killer, which is completely understandable. There are a lot of creeps out there!

After church, I checked my texts, and he said the coast was clear for me to come over. I made the trip, and here is what I saw in his garage:

1010591_10204813113590500_7171569642058698696_n.jpg

He sent over some pictures previously, and it looked like 150 or so long / short boxes of cards. I was hopeful that they were all complete sets, but they were not. Many boxes just had loose cards. He had a few boxes of loose cards in holders. Many of them were the typical 1987 Topps Tony Gwynn in a semi rigid, etc. But there were various game used / auto cards, inserts, rookies, etc.

He even showed me a Griffey case that supposedly contained a coin in it. The case was NASTY and was falling apart. He told me he didn't ever open it because he didn't want it to be devalued. I told him things like that are generally some type of alloy and not worth much. The only time those things seem to be worth something is if they are made of pure silver ... then they are worth the amount of silver. I told him it probably was not, or it would say that on top of the box and said it should be fine for him to open. Well, he opened it and it was pure silver, LOL. Not my strongest negotiation tactic when trying to get him to lower the price!

We agreed on price at $250 below what he was asking, and I loaded up the cardboard mobile:

10629779_10204813112990485_8467043186123919646_n.jpg

I have not looked through nearly anything yet, but here are some things I did find which are possibly the best items in the whole bunch:

Sealed boxes of 2003 bowman chrome football and 2003 sweet spot baseball
10665187_10204813493920008_7007655876509096023_n.jpg

1952 topps reprint set, 1988 topps tiffany set, 1991 stadium club football set and 1992 bowman baseball set

10629682_10204813494600025_3326134868373149403_n.jpg

various sleeved cards
1174998_10204813495360044_6866123873401200951_n.jpg

my favorites here are the dominators autographed Nolan Ryan and Don Mattingly

10370818_10204813495560049_1535649996068286301_n.jpg

There was also 1986 Donruss rated rookie Canseco that was autographed & one not autographed so I'll go ahead and keep them!

These cards (and the boxes of cards I got last weekend from him) were apparently his father's who passed away. He does not collect cards at all. He also got a sweet thunderbird from which his father used to own. For documentation sake, I'll combine the wax box purchase and this purchase together & call it the Thunderbird lot.

Soooo, here is where we stand!

DEAL TRACKER
CARDS
2013 Topps Mini Black #/5 Chris Johnson
1 meeeelllion card lot
thunderbird lot

NON CARDS
box of educational books
step 2 locker
wii fit pad
game cube
air jordans
circular chinese dragon wall art
4 ps2 games
oriental vase
taiwanese chest
1 drop-leaf desk
projector screen

Cash
$863 total

Keepers (for now)
1 drop leaf desk
Fabric of the Game Canseco Jersey
Absolute Heroes Canseco Jersey / Cap
2 Security Cameras
6 plates (wife let me know that we will be keeping 6 of the plates!)
2 comic display pieces
wii & wii fit
MP640 printer
glass top wicker basket
2 2014 Canseco cards
Jose Canseco autographed baseball
1986 Donruss Canseco & 86 Donruss Canseco autographed

mouschi

May 18, 2012
What is the Super Bowl set?And the gold card?No picture of Canseco autograph?

The super bowl set is from pro set and apparently is a $30 set, but only if is in mint condition and this is not unfortunately. The gold card is a Nolan Ryan - the Canseco is displayed on my desk now (though it isn't the cleanest auto) I couldn't find it while I was taking pics, but I'm rockin' it now! :)

I was able to find a finest maestros Jordan xfractor, a finest kobe rookie, OJ Simpson, Jerry Rice & Jim Kelly (84 usfl) rookies as well as some other goodies. I'm overhwelmed right now but in a good way!

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
That is ironic I just posted in the "MLB logo" thread about how the RC logo has the hobby, and here you have some USFL cards that are viewed as rookies today even though they are not NFL cards.Very interesting.That was a nice documentary ESPN did on the USFL.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Any treasures in the million card lot yet?
They all turned out to be 1988 donruss commons!!! Just kidding :) I've been so pre-occupied with the other 2 lots I acquired, along with other things in life, that I haven't looked much. I will scan over a few cards whenever I'm in the garage, but nothing too crazy. I did find a 1960 topps baseball wrapper, I popped open a box of basketball and found several of Kobe and Jordan SPA cards, etc. I look forward being able to go through them more thoroughly!

mouschi

May 18, 2012
How appropriate that, on the last day of the regular season, I have a good update to give. I am now profitable on everything. The million card deal and the thunderbird deal are both official money makers for me (pops champagne cork). As far as bulk goes, I still have TONS ... like ... 98% of everything, and I still haven't hardly touched anything. I did, however, sell the bulk of the "good stuff" that was immediately visibly evident from both collections.

In addition to this, I picked up another small $100 lot from a friend who came over with 2014 football stuff for the most part. I added that into a lot and they are gone now as well. Oh, and - the gamecube sold.

I went garage saling yesterday with the family for a few hours and here is what we picked up:

The picture isn't loading ... because we got nothing! We did get some menchies though, so that made it all worthwhile.

I still have a final reveal which, if all goes well, should happen in a few weeks. Would be great if the A's are still playing baseball then as well!

DEAL TRACKER
CARDS
1 meeeelllion card lot
thunderbird lot

NON CARDS
box of educational books
step 2 locker
wii fit pad
air jordans
circular chinese dragon wall art
4 ps2 games
oriental vase
taiwanese chest
1 drop-leaf desk
projector screen

Cash
$3,761 total

Keepers (for now)
1 drop leaf desk
Fabric of the Game Canseco Jersey
Absolute Heroes Canseco Jersey / Cap
2 Security Cameras
6 plates (wife let me know that we will be keeping 6 of the plates!)
2 comic display pieces
wii & wii fit
MP640 printer
glass top wicker basket
2 2014 Canseco cards
Jose Canseco autographed baseball
1986 Donruss Canseco & 86 Donruss Canseco autographed

Last edited:

parsetdx

Apr 15, 2009
Philly
Just thought I'd chime in and say I read through this whole thread and found it immensely entertaining. I'd love to hear more about how you flip some of your finds so quickly, what channels you're using to sell, etc. Nonetheless - thanks for a great read. Waiting to see what happens next.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Just thought I'd chime in and say I read through this whole thread and found it immensely entertaining. I'd love to hear more about how you flip some of your finds so quickly, what channels you're using to sell, etc. Nonetheless - thanks for a great read. Waiting to see what happens next.

Thanks for the kind words! As for channels ... it is pretty much everything anyone else uses - online, locally, etc. It is all about the hustle, and I don't use that term in a derogatory way meant to rip off people. I mean hustling around using ALL avenues at your disposal, selling things in different ways (singles, lots, etc.) and being creative. It is a lot of work and time, but it makes things sell quicker than just say, ebay.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Have you gone through anything else yet?

not too terribly much - there are some cool things i found like some rookies of clemens puckett jeter, etc. no '52 mantle yet! but lots of cool things like a box full of 1986-87 fleer basketball, several thousand 70's cards, etc.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
not too terribly much - there are some cool things i found like some rookies of clemens puckett jeter, etc. no '52 mantle yet! but lots of cool things like a box full of 1986-87 fleer basketball, several thousand 70's cards, etc.

See any Jordan rookies in the Fleer?

mouschi

May 18, 2012
No key rookies in that box unforch!

Members online