Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So I took a tour of Topps HQ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I was in NYC earlier this week visiting my wife's family for Easter. As I have mentioned before, my brother in law is going to have a card in A&G this year. What I did not mention is that they offered to show him around if he was interested. Well, long story short, he and I were in Manhattan this week and he took Topps up on the offer and I tagged along.

Before you read on, if you are a Topps hater you will not like this post. The people I met were passionate about what they did - from design through packaging - and, from what I saw, committed to the customer experience. I asked some pretty direct questions about things like the recent Tribute recall and the Mike Piazza (HOFer versus prospect) auto snafu, among other items. The answers I got were direct and reasonable (in that the answer matched the bits and pieces I "knew" about the issues). Most of all, I saw a cool place to work that was filled with people who really were enjoying their work. That is pretty tough to beat.

Anyway, on to the tour...

We started off in the lobby where they have a display area for most of their brands. Here is what the main wall looks like:

Here is the coffee table in the lobby. Feel free to thumb through the cards while you wait...

Off to the side is a main conference room. I loved the decor...

We then toured through the work areas where I got to see lots of the "work in progress" items. The best part is that there were tons of uncut sheets getting proofed for the upcoming releases. Here are some of the pics from that:

Here is some upcoming Bowman...

These are wave refractors. The cards are not orange, the backing was.

And, how about some Bowman supers? Sadly I was not allowed to take any home...

Cards and sheets are posted throughout the office as art - and they really are art. Here is an uncut sheet of GQ minis framed on the wall..

Of course Topps is more than Baseball (or so I have been told). Here are some UFC cards that are similar to the Touched by Greatness baseball inserts. Apparently the UFC cards were first. These are "fist" cards. Very cool. Unfortunately my flash overexposed these, but you get the idea:

Finally, here is my brother in law viewing a wall of cards in the hall.

I had a great time and got to see some really cool cards/art. I certainly learned about their process and met some nice people.

Thanks for the read.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
That's awesome!!! Also can't wait to get a Murr from A&G. 

Haha. The last picture didn't load the first time I opened the page. I looked at it the second time and thought, isn't that, Murr? Almost forgot someone on here was related to him.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I didn't realize your brother in law was Murr. That is awesome. Tour looks fun. Is it open to the public similar to brewery tours?

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
20140120_214927_zps5ff4e0fb.jpg

20140120_214822_zps34f23bd8.jpg

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I'm pretty sure they out-source their Call in customer service centers and that those folks are not at HQ so the people that complain most about that are getting upset at the wrong group of people...

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I didn't realize your brother in law was Murr. That is awesome. Tour looks fun. Is it open to the public similar to brewery tours?

No. They only offered it because he is signing for them in A&G. I was just a tag along.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Ecuse me for asking but who is Murr?

He is one of the 4 guys who make up a comedy troupe called The Tenderloins. They also happen to be the four guys who make up Impractical Jokers on TruTV. James (Murr) is also involved in many other shows on cable like Say Yes to the Dress and more.

Murr for Congress!

So...that obviously started as a joke but the local paper picked it up and really ran with it. They did a mock poll recently and he got 80% of the vote in the upcoming special election. Obviously it was not a "real" poll but it will be interesting to see how many votes he ends up with.

A_Pharis

He is one of the 4 guys who make up a comedy troupe called The Tenderloins. They also happen to be the four guys who make up Impractical Jokers on TruTV. James (Murr) is also involved in many other shows on cable like Say Yes to the Dress and more.

So...that obviously started as a joke but the local paper picked it up and really ran with it. They did a mock poll recently and he got 80% of the vote in the upcoming special election. Obviously it was not a "real" poll but it will be interesting to see how many votes he ends up with.

The sign of a good April Fools joke is people not being able to tell that it's a joke AFTER it's been announced as a joke.

Members online

Latest posts