Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

LESTER is a CUB $155mil for 6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
True, Lester is a true ace and this is a great pick up for the Cubs. I have to question if this is the correct time for the Cubs to push in though. The Cubs are stocked with position players in their system. They are young, exciting and full of promise. Truth of the matters though, they are slow and do not do a great job in run creation. They finished last season with a record of 73-89. I think it is unrealistic to think this team as it stands, even with adding Lester, can be above a .500 team next season. Projecting upward for the 2016 season as well, I can then see them in the playoff mix but that certainly will be a tough climb considering their division. To me, that is two wasted years of Lester at a high expense for the team. Leaving four years of realistic playoff projection on his six year contract. Those will be his 33-36 year old seasons. Lester is coming off one of his best seasons of his career, arguably his best. The Cubs are paying heavily for that. It is unrealistic to think he will maintain that level going forward, especially after the next two seasons when the Cubs will realistically be in the mix.

Well, if Kris Bryant, Soler, Baez, and Russell are all busts and equal to the sub-replacement level players the Cubs trotted out during the 1st two months of the season when they lost the majority of their games, your analysis makes perfect sense. However, if 2 or 3 of them ending up being positive offensive contributors along with Rizzo and Castro, then the Cubs should be competitive in the division and wild-card races.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Well, if Kris Bryant, Soler, Baez, and Russell are all busts and equal to the sub-replacement level players the Cubs trotted out during the 1st two months of the season when they lost the majority of their games, your analysis makes perfect sense. However, if 2 or 3 of them ending up being positive offensive contributors along with Rizzo and Castro, then the Cubs should be competitive in the division and wild-card races.

Do not get me wrong, I love the young talent listed except for Baez. With that said, I did note they are young players. You may want to temper your expectations a bit. They are in a position to be successful for a long time, with the talent they have in their system and the young players they have. I just think they are still a ways away from a playoff team until they see what they have in these young players.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Do not get me wrong, I love the young talent listed except for Baez. With that said, I did note they are young players. You may want to temper your expectations a bit. They are in a position to be successful for a long time, with the talent they have in their system and the young players they have. I just think they are still a ways away from a playoff team until they see what they have in these young players.

I agree with that. I think 85 wins is a reasonable expectation for this team barring any other big acquisitions.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
There's no one the Cubs could add to make them a playoff team in 2015. Maybe 2016 as well, unless Wineglass Joe is going to somehow convince Trout, Kershaw and Felix Hernandez to come aboard.
This is just not true.

Gotta wait till the end of the offseason to evaluate the Cubs chances. As of now, I would bet they win around 80 games with a max of 85. But they are clearly not done dealing.

WaxPax

I agree with that. I think 85 wins is a reasonable expectation for this team barring any other big acquisitions.

Adding Lester for 2015 is basically replacing Samardjiza, who was pitch as well as Lester up to that point. So any win improvement is going to come from other acquisitions and their prospects

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Freedom Card Board mobile app

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Adding Lester for 2015 is basically replacing Samardjiza, who was pitch as well as Lester up to that point. So any win improvement is going to come from other acquisitions and their prospects

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Samardzija and Hammel were only in Chicago for half a season. Lester and Hammel will pitch the entire season. So you double the production from each of them. Carlos Villanueva was terrible as a starter and Edwin Jackson was 6-15 with a 6.33 ERA. Both are out of the rotation, which will lead to more wins if Hendricks and Wood provide league average performances. That alone gets you up to around .500. The lineup was abysmal until the kids came up last season, and the kids will be up all season, with Bryant being called up to play the last 100 games or so. Unless all these guys flame out, the offense should show some improvement. I'm not saying this team is better than St. Louis or Pittsburgh yet, but it should be at least .500 or a few games over, and once you get to that point, anything can happen if the young players step up.

Last edited:

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Call me crazy but I don't think Lester will be as successful in the NL. I can't stress enough what a red flag his inability to throw to a base will be in the NL. If you are unable to hold runners on and field your position in the NL you are in big trouble.

You nailed it.

Members online

Latest posts