Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2001 Fleer Stitches in Time and the ***** Leagues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Over the past few decades the card companies have produced some remarkably innovative cards. We have seen guitar picks from musicians, paw-prints of dogs, paintings of presidents, and many others fabulously creative sets. Companies have produced cards with signatures from players who have long since passed away (in the form of cut autographs), celebrities, world leaders, and just about anyone else who might sell. With all the creativity it is hard to believe that there has only been a single autograph set entirely geared to a major part of baseball history: the ***** Leagues.

The ***** Leagues are a part of baseball history that has not received the attention it deserves. Created because the Major Leagues did not allow people of color to join, the ***** Leagues were comprised of African Americans and others who were not allowed to play in the Major Leagues. While there is no way to state with certainty how they stacked up against the Major Leagues, ***** League teams performed quite well against teams of Major Leaguers when they played each other and eye witnesses have long told of the feats of legendary players—such as Josh Gibson, Satchel Paige, and Cool Papa Bell.

Commemorating the league, Fleer produced a group of insert sets under the name “Stitches in Time” in their 2001 release. There were three sets: one with regular insert cards, one with game-used cards, and the one with autograph cards. While other cards have been made of these players, the autograph set is the only one ever created by a licensed company that is comprised exclusively of ***** League stars.

While the casual fan may never have heard of most ***** League players, some of the players who made it to the Majors became quite famous and successful. Seeing Ernie Banks wearing a Kansas City Monarch’s cap (with his signature underneath) is both an interesting window into history and a reminder of the challenges he faced to make it to the Major Leagues.

scan0041.jpg

Featured in the autograph set, Monte Irvin was another ***** League player who had a solid career in the Majors. Having a lifetime career batting average of .293 and 99 homers, he had a nice Major League career; however, much of the world missed out seeing him in his prime—when he flirted with a .400 batting average in the ***** Leagues on numerous occasions. At age 92 Irvin is one of few ***** League players who we are lucky enough to still have with us.

A great ***** Leaguer in the set (who unfortunately never had a chance to play in the Major Leagues) was Buck O’Neil. He was a ***** League star who many believed deserved a HOF induction (although he did not receive the required votes to get in at the Veterans Committee’s 2006 vote in which they inducted over a dozen other ***** League players). O’Neil came to be a Major League scout for the Cubs and became one of the most honorable men in baseball. In 2006 he was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor by President Bush.

Fleer also included in the 2001 Stitches in Time autograph set was Joe Black and Ted “Double-Duty” Radcliffe. Curious event occurred during Fleer’s bankruptcy liquidation: A signed card of Artie Wilson surfaced.

scan0036.jpg

The ***** Leagues is a reminder of the existence of racism and hatred that should have had no place in this country. Significantly, despite being included in the checklist, Willie Mays chose not to sign for the set, and he is known to not sign items that are connected to the ***** Leagues. (It is worth noting that a copy of the Mays card with a questionable looking signature was recently listed on eBay. It is believed the card was released unsigned from Fleer at the bankruptcy sale and then forged.)

The ***** Leagues are a part of baseball history that is often overlooked but one that should never be forgotten. When given the chance, the players showed that they were as good, if not better, than their white counterparts. The ***** Leaguers who excelled in the Majors include Jackie Robinson, the aforementioned Mays, and Hank Aaron. It is a shame that to this point only a single autograph set has been dedicated solely to this fabulously rich part of baseball history. On the bright side though, the set remains a hidden gem and one that can be obtained with some patience—even on a fairly moderate budget.

This article was submitted by FCB Member Topnotchsy

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Sweet looking set. I've always wanted to collect ***** Leaguers but I have a feeling at this point that set would be a royal pain to put together and probably not cheap either.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
The players from the ***** Leagues are what interested me in the 2001 Fleer Greats of the Game autograph set. I picked up a few here and there and before I knew it I was hooked on the set. To this date, they are still my favorite cards in the set.

Tom

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
One of my favorites. Mays didn't sign several Fleer cards that year, including ones with him a Major League Uniform, so it was a contract issue with Fleer, not his unwillingness to sign ***** league items. A lot including many copies of the unsigned card below plus other unsigned Fleer jersey cards from that time period were auctioned off in a Robert Edwards Auction a few years back and can now be found on the secondary market.

Beckett claims some signed versions slipped out in the product, and has priced the Mays cards continuously since months after release. I don't believe their claims however (having spent considerable time trying to locate one). Now that forgeries and IP signed cards are a possibility, the card will remain controversial in the hobby.

banks01FT.jpg
black01FT.jpg
irvin01FT.jpg

oneil01FT.jpg
radcliffe01FT.jpg
wilson01FT.jpg

mays01FT.jpg
robinson01FT.jpg

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Weimer said:
Sweet looking set. I've always wanted to collect ***** Leaguers but I have a feeling at this point that set would be a royal pain to put together and probably not cheap either.

Really not all that tough. I think the most expensive card for me was Banks at around $50. O'Neil may run that much nowadays as well, but the rest can be found under $30 with some of those being under $20 with some patience.

gracecollector said:
One of my favorites. Mays didn't sign several Fleer cards that year, including ones with him a Major League Uniform, so it was a contract issue with Fleer, not his unwillingness to sign ***** league items. A lot including many copies of the unsigned card below plus other unsigned Fleer jersey cards from that time period were auctioned off in a Robert Edwards Auction a few years back and can now be found on the secondary market.
It could be that both are true. I recall hearing numerous times that he does not like to sign ***** League items (though based on one of the other posts it could be that this was not always the case.)

TwinGnats

May 25, 2010
Fridley, MN
I didn't realize Monte was that old, I got a ball signed by him last spring. I can't believe I even hesitated for a minute about getting it. When I got there, nobody was waiting to get his autograph and he was just talking to his helper. He asked me about some hotel in Minneapolis but I didn't know it.

Also, a trip to Kansas City to the ***** leagues museum is a great investment especially if it is flanked by a trip to Arthur Bryants afterwards.

autocut

Topnotchsy said:
gracecollector said:
It could be that both are true. I recall hearing numerous times that he does not like to sign ***** League items (though based on one of the other posts it could be that this was not always the case.)

Most of the cards were never even returned to Fleer.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
What do you think of this Mays? real? after market sig in blue?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Willie-Mays...US_Baseball&hash=item2a21fba084#ht_779wt_1270

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Willie-Mays-2001-Fleer-Tradition-Certified-Auto-Autograph-*****-League-Card-Rare-/180958765188?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2a21fba084#ht_779wt_1270

Not an expert on May's signature, but from what I know it certainly did not come that way from a pack, and it looks nothing like any Mays autograph that I've seen. I'd stay far away.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Not an expert on May's signature, but from what I know it certainly did not come that way from a pack, and it looks nothing like any Mays autograph that I've seen. I'd stay far away.

Yeah, was it every confirmed that Mays autos were never pulled from packs?

Anyone have pictures of the backs of cards or complete this set.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, was it every confirmed that Mays autos were never pulled from packs?

Anyone have pictures of the backs of cards or complete this set.

The back reads like any other card from the set.

While I cannot confirm 100% that none was ever pulled from a pack, I've watched for the card for years, as have many others. A few years back one of the major auction houses auctioned off some Fleer cards from the bankruptcy and the lot included a number of these Mays cards, unsigned. Shortly afterwards, a number of these signed ones (with signatures that really do not look great) appeared on eBay, with pretty much everyone coming from the same seller...

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Willie-Mays-2001-Fleer-Tradition-Certified-Auto-Autograph-*****-League-Card-Rare-/180958765188?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2a21fba084#ht_779wt_1270

In my opinion that seller has sold countless fakes, and I would bet that includes that Mays.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Very happy that today I completed this entire insert set... well, with the possible exception of a "bigfoot" Cool Papa Bell base card. These inserts appeared in 2001 Fleer Tradition and were the first major-card brand insert of ***** Leaguers shown in their ***** League uniforms.

This set has so many unique quirks. There's the unnumbered Henry Kimbo card, the not-printed #1 card, the "missing" #3 card of Cool Papa Bell - that some claim exist but I can't find a scan anywhere, the not-pack-issued Artie Wilson autograph card, and the enigmatic unsigned Willie Mays autograph card (see posts above). This set is as wild and complicated as the ***** Leagues themselves!

Auto cards (6, plus 1 unsigned card that filtered out into the hobby via Fleer auction):
banks01FT.jpg
black01FT.jpg
irvin01FT.jpg

oneil01FT.jpg
radcliffe01FT.jpg
wilson01FT.jpg

mays01FT.jpg

Game Used Bat Cards (3):
campanella01FT.jpg
doby01FT.jpg
howard01FTST.jpg

Game Used Jersey Cards:
mays01FTSTITCHESJERSEY.jpg
robinson01FT.jpg

Insert Cards:
st1.jpg

st2.jpg

st3.jpg

st4.jpg

st5.jpg

st6.jpg

If anyone can find a scan of the #3 Cool Papa Bell card that may also be a Fleer Auction release, I'd love to see it. Finder's fee paid for the actual card.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
Congrats! It's an amazing set-one I have chased myself over the years. Definitely quirky, but I would argue that makes it an even better and fun set! Now you just need the printing plates ;)

Thanks,
Jeff

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Very happy that today I completed this entire insert set... well, with the possible exception of a "bigfoot" Cool Papa Bell base card. These inserts appeared in 2001 Fleer Tradition and were the first major-card brand insert of ***** Leaguers shown in their ***** League uniforms.

Congrats! Never heard of the Kimbo card before.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I've got all the autos from guys out of this set that weren't in the MLB (everyone except Banks, Irvin, Mays - not that his card is auto'd).

This is a really, really classic set I hope in the future they do release some more ***** league specific stuff.

Has it ever been confirmed by Fleer or elsewhere that the Bell was indeed never made?
EDIT: Decided to look into it a little - Bell does exist though it's believed these were leaked purely on the secondary market and never inserted in the product itself.

Members online

Latest posts