Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Interesting development in the Tanaka posting...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
This is actually ridiculous. If you can't afford the $20 million posting fee how the hell are you going to afford the $120MM/6 yr contract??

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
Considering how much was spent on Matsuzaka I can't believe there would need to be any spread on the $20M, not to mention all the TV money.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
What the should have done was made 5% of the posting fee non-refundable. The Japanese teams would then have more incentive to post their player.

But we all know that couldn't happen. A million dollars might bankrupt have of the teams in baseball.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
This is actually ridiculous. If you can't afford the $20 million posting fee how the hell are you going to afford the $120MM/6 yr contract??

+1. You can take your 2014 national tv money share and pay for the $20M posting fee and have about $4-5M left over for salary or operations from that revenue source.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school

Couldn't agree more.

IMO The MLB is a joke with all the spending rules nowadays. Trying as hard as they can to disallow teams with money to do anything. International signings, postings, draft slots. Rules for everything with huge hits for overspending. I'm not saying I want them to go back to where it was where it was just Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels, Rangers maybe a few other guys here and there buying all the talent but what good is all the revenue most of these large market teams make if they aren't allowed to use it on players and the team.

Punish every team who is willing to spend on talent because of the half the MLB's garbage owners who pocket every sort of profit imaginable. Most teams can afford the 20 million they just choose to take that 20 mil home instead of put it back into the team.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Couldn't agree more.

IMO The MLB is a joke with all the spending rules nowadays. Trying as hard as they can to disallow teams with money to do anything. International signings, postings, draft slots. Rules for everything with huge hits for overspending. I'm not saying I want them to go back to where it was where it was just Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels, Rangers maybe a few other guys here and there buying all the talent but what good is all the revenue most of these large market teams make if they aren't allowed to use it on players and the team.

Punish every team who is willing to spend on talent because of the half the MLB's garbage owners who pocket every sort of profit imaginable. Most teams can afford the 20 million they just choose to take that 20 mil home instead of put it back into the team.

Like the Astros? Didn't I read somewhere the tv money alone more than paid there entire team salary and they still don't sign anyone?

brewerfan99

Sep 7, 2010
Wisconsin
You don't necessarily need to spend huge money to be competitive ... the Twins did it for years. You just need to be really good at drafting, developing, and then trading away all your talent.