Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mark McGwire Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GucciMac

Aug 12, 2017
Hollywood, CA
My latest. Who else has something to share?
9eb468f471e0014fa3362a57daa42eb2.jpg

I need to get my '85 graded! Nice cards!

7guns

Aug 7, 2008
Norfolk Va.
I purchased both graded. I have a couple 1985 Topps that have been at BGS since the National (July 2017). Based on my grading success, they will likely come back 8 or lower because I missed something that every other grader that saw them before made them pass. Where are your new pics?

Have not got anything new and nice since the last Transdecent

GucciMac

Aug 12, 2017
Hollywood, CA
That is one set that isn't often mint. I'm not even familiar with the inverted back version.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The only difference is if you flip the card over, the stats are on the right side like the Leaf version. I don’t think most people or even graders notice. There were a whole bunch of PSA 10’s selling for around $20-30 over the past 6-8 months, but I’ve noticed that there aren’t many on the market, and I haven’t seen anything under $60 for a standard PSA 10 as of late.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

GucciMac

Aug 12, 2017
Hollywood, CA
Will be sending this stuff to PSA. Cool little backstory on these items...The ‘85 Modesto card is going back hopefully for a PSA 10. Modesto is my hometown. The ‘86 Burger King auto was a Christmas gift from my dad in ‘88-89. He bought it from Modesto Coin Center (pops collected coins). Bob Swain was the owner. Mark lived with Bob while he was playing for Modesto. I got the ball signed at Spring Training ‘93. Bought a separate ball just for him to sign, and he didn’t even sign the sweet spot lol I was supposed to get his auto at ‘92 Spring Training...CRAZY STORY...you guys know McGwire’s infamous ‘92 Bowman card. I was right there attempting to get the auto before the photographers showed up. Mark was hitting a bucket of balls into the backstop, just him and the hitting coach, so I went over with my dad. We were the only ones that saw him initially. We watched him hit for about 10 minutes. I got my ball and pen ready, but waited patiently for him to finish the bucket before asking. As he finished, I asked at the exact time the photographers ran up. He said, “Not right now, buddy.” I could tell he didn’t want to deal with the media. If he stopped for me, he’d have to stop for them. He went right back to hitting another bucket of balls and that’s the photo you see on his ‘92 Bowman. I was there. No joke. Fortunately I got the auto the next year! LOL
Image1524495298.154497.jpg
Image1524495315.637390.jpg

mhcook

Feb 22, 2011
Will be sending this stuff to PSA. Cool little backstory on these items...The ‘85 Modesto card is going back hopefully for a PSA 10. Modesto is my hometown. The ‘86 Burger King auto was a Christmas gift from my dad in ‘88-89. He bought it from Modesto Coin Center (pops collected coins). Bob Swain was the owner. Mark lived with Bob while he was playing for Modesto. I got the ball signed at Spring Training ‘93. Bought a separate ball just for him to sign, and he didn’t even sign the sweet spot lol I was supposed to get his auto at ‘92 Spring Training...CRAZY STORY...you guys know McGwire’s infamous ‘92 Bowman card. I was right there attempting to get the auto before the photographers showed up. Mark was hitting a bucket of balls into the backstop, just him and the hitting coach, so I went over with my dad. We were the only ones that saw him initially. We watched him hit for about 10 minutes. I got my ball and pen ready, but waited patiently for him to finish the bucket before asking. As he finished, I asked at the exact time the photographers ran up. He said, “Not right now, buddy.” I could tell he didn’t want to deal with the media. If he stopped for me, he’d have to stop for them. He went right back to hitting another bucket of balls and that’s the photo you see on his ‘92 Bowman. I was there. No joke. Fortunately I got the auto the next year! LOL
View attachment 79388
View attachment 79389

Awesome story. Too bad cell phones weren't what they are or you would probably have pics and/or video of the Bowman photoshoot.

GucciMac

Aug 12, 2017
Hollywood, CA
Awesome story. Too bad cell phones weren't what they are or you would probably have pics and/or video of the Bowman photoshoot.

So true!!! The Bowman incident was a mid-morning workout/batting practice. I don’t think the game started for another 2-3 hours, so my mom stayed at our motel for the B.P., otherwise I know she would’ve taken pics. She took pics of everything on those trips. I’ll have to try to dig up the old prints one of these days and see if there’s anything good. I also turned down being the Cubs’ batboy for a doubleheader in ‘93. I was shy and afraid of goofing up. Some guy from the team literally picked me and my friend out of the stands. I regret that so much. Got Ryne Sandberg’s auto in ‘94 as well, but I didn’t get a batboy offer that year haha!

Members online