Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Here's another questionable knob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Currently listed as a $699 BIN/BO, I really wonder. Bench wore #5 , of course, but I cannot imagine why it says,"Drew" on there.
s-l1600.jpg

Random cynical thoughts:
1) It's a Stephen Drew bat, as he wore #5 in his brief tenure with Oakland.
2) It's a Drew Sutton bat, as he wore #15 on Cincinnati, and the sticker is covering the 1.
3) Similar theory for Drew Stubbs, who also play for the Reds but wore #15 for the Rangers.

Or it's just one of those things.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Not sure anyone could convince me that sticker adds anything to the value or authenticity of the bat piece. It is obnoxious!

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Why do people keep buying this game-used garbage?
If companies can't even get this obvious stuff correct, imagine all of the mistakes on generic patches, swatches and bat pieces.
And that's not counting all of the stuff that's not even game used.

Some people spend so much money on "game used" cards and they're either oblivious or in denial that much of what they own is crap.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Why do people keep buying this game-used garbage?
If companies can't even get this obvious stuff correct, imagine all of the mistakes on generic patches, swatches and bat pieces.
And that's not counting all of the stuff that's not even game used.

Some people spend so much money on "game used" cards and they're either oblivious or in denial that much of what they own is crap.

For the same reason you spend your money on the garbage you collect, everyone has their niche. Some people like autos, some like patches, knobs, barrels, superfractor said, ect ect. Every segment of the hobby is tainted but it doesn't mean everything is garbage. Sure the item above is questionable but there are plenty of knobs that are legit. I'm sure with enough research there is an explaination of the knob above or simply Topps put the wrong knob in the card. My theory is Johnny bench used it in a game or batting practice once or twice and then let someone else use it and they put their name or nickname on it. I would rather Topps not use those type of bats for players but they are super cheap so it does not surprise me at all.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
This is why I tend to buy non-rookie, non-topps game used. I'm not saying Panini is beyond mess ups. But at least they put their butt on the line with the wording on their cards.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
The card does say game used, but doesn't specify by who/when/where. Probably used by a player named Drew with a 5 in his name and the Topps worker decided that it was "close enough".

Fordman

Members online

Latest posts