Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
So, I found something today that might make some 70's collectors cry. I picked up a ton of 1976-77 MSA discs, Orbakers and Big T and Pepsi and Detroit Caesars, you know the stuff. There were a few Carousel discs, which all seem to have the store location rubber-stamped on the back. The two Don Suttons I got had two different store stamps; one was the Fayette Mall store #428 , the other was Bashford Manor Mall #427 . The third Carousel disc was a Fred Lynn, store #428 with a different font on the stamp (I'll try to get a scan at some point). So how many different back variations exist on these? Is this common knowledge, or does anyone care?

I love MSA discs. I know about the variations, but no clue how many or if any are more sought after.

packbusta

Aug 15, 2010
Came across a pair of 2002 Bowman base cards with Silver foil print, instead of the usual Gold foil. I opened close to a case of this stuff back in the day, and these are the only two Silvers I have. Does anybody know if this is a known error/variation, or if it even applies to all the cards in the set? Figured with all the player collectors and variation experts on the board, somebody would know.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It's common knowledge to those who collect the various different discs and variations. There are somewhere around 20-25 different locations, maybe more as I have the list stashed away somewhere.

So, I found something today that might make some 70's collectors cry. I picked up a ton of 1976-77 MSA discs, Orbakers and Big T and Pepsi and Detroit Caesars, you know the stuff. There were a few Carousel discs, which all seem to have the store location rubber-stamped on the back. The two Don Suttons I got had two different store stamps; one was the Fayette Mall store #428 , the other was Bashford Manor Mall #427 . The third Carousel disc was a Fred Lynn, store #428 with a different font on the stamp (I'll try to get a scan at some point). So how many different back variations exist on these? Is this common knowledge, or does anyone care?

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
Not sure if this was posted or acknowledge bur I just found this two this week as I was trying to gather them up.

1990 Fleer #634 Fernandez / Ripken - U.S.A. & U.S.A (No Dot after the A)

1992 Fleer #26 Ripken - U.S.A. & U.S.A (No Dot after the A)

I didn't know until this week, hmm....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

ripken8

Nov 11, 2013
I have the Ripken of this also....
attachment.php

I have NOT found one on the other 3 Ripken cards

INC/INC. variations exist for all the 1992 Donruss Ripken cards except for the Diamond Kings. There is also another subtle variation adding another layer of cards to chase. The name on the front of the cards (again all except the Diamond Kings) shows a variation of color...one is a lighter silver and the other is darker gray. In fact, it appears from your scans, you have an example of both. Again, an INC/INC. variation for each color variation.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Not sure if this was posted or acknowledge bur I just found this two this week as I was trying to gather them up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I was aware of the 1990 Fleer variation, but was not aware of the same variation in 1992 Fleer, thank you!

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
yeah 1991 is VERY hard to tell... the backs are so crappy... the easier way to tell is to find the difference... meaning bigger gaps between stat bar and stats, etc. Every card has a slight difference on back... the one version I see in about 5-10% of the production.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
yeah 1991 is VERY hard to tell... the backs are so crappy... the easier way to tell is to find the difference... meaning bigger gaps between stat bar and stats, etc. Every card has a slight difference on back... the one version I see in about 5-10% of the production.

I'm not sure if every 1991 Fleer already has two versions but Dawson does. He has one version with 1976 stats and one without. I have 194 without the stats with is considered the error version and 681 of the version with the stats which is considered the corrected version.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Just did a quick check on a handful of my 91 Dawsons and all the error cards with no 1976 stats were U.S.A and all the corrected cards with 1976 stats were U.S.A.

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
Just did a quick check on a handful of my 91 Dawsons and all the error cards with no 1976 stats were U.S.A and all the corrected cards with 1976 stats were U.S.A.

Yeah... I knew there was a connection, and I am 99% sure every card has a variation... even the superstar special cards (with the borders on the back ending in diff places)... checklists, I am unsure about

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Yeah... I knew there was a connection, and I am 99% sure every card has a variation... even the superstar special cards (with the borders on the back ending in diff places)... checklists, I am unsure about

I will have to double check my 91 Fleer Dawson/Sandberg combo cards

MatthewN

Sep 30, 2015
Coralville, IA

attachment.php

As others have said, thanks for posting this. I had the 1990 variations of Puckett with "U.S.A" but had no idea they existed for 1991 and 1992. Found that in my extras I had two of them, and found another (1992 Superstar Special) on COMC for $0.55. Thanks!

Members online

Latest posts