Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Membership Drive Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
giphy.gif

well... maybe not all your friends.

Use judgement.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
What if you or someone on here you trust that does high volume on eBay made their username 'FreedomCardboard' or something similar. Link or mention the site in description or my eBay page. Even if they don't see that, people will randomly google FCB to see if there is a website. Nearly all your prospective new members are on eBay, go to them.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
What if you or someone on here you trust that does high volume on eBay made their username 'FreedomCardboard' or something similar. Link or mention the site in description or my eBay page. Even if they don't see that, people will randomly google FCB to see if there is a website. Nearly all your prospective new members are on eBay, go to them.
Violation of eBay terms. Imo facebook groups are the fertile ground.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Hate to bring up an idea I've mentioned in the past but do not have time to orchestrate, but I think if we did a virtual card show and picked a specific time and made sure that it was done right (make sure to have some solid sellers lined up, set people up to create their threads in advance, figure out some giveaways and other elements, utilize a chat room function (I think that exists here?) etc.

Spreading the word about that at a specific time could be an easy way to draw people here.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Hate to bring up an idea I've mentioned in the past but do not have time to orchestrate, but I think if we did a virtual card show and picked a specific time and made sure that it was done right (make sure to have some solid sellers lined up, set people up to create their threads in advance, figure out some giveaways and other elements, utilize a chat room function (I think that exists here?) etc.

Spreading the word about that at a specific time could be an easy way to draw people here.
I'm very down for this.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
IMO one of the bigger issues we face is the creation of new threads. I'd post up the happenings myself, but every time I post a new thread it looks like an announcement.

You the boss, can't you create a fake username like christof omligc to do the postings? ;)

seriously, I'd say do another natty promo but I don't know what kind of ROI you got on that so it may not be the wiseest money spend to increase the participating user base. I suppose you could also take out an ad on some group breakers sites but those people likely would rather blow cash on group breaks than add forums to their online hobby time so that may not be a good spend either.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Blowout, and Beckett before, have large numbers of members because there are other reasons for people to be there, and it reached a tipping point where people just decided that's the message board to be on. On FCB, we talk about cards...and that's pretty much it. And we're, I suspect, a somewhat older crowd than on BO, less prone to hyperbole and drama, we mostly collect things besides the latest Topps set and Bowman squinkofractors, and we don't make a new thread for each game played by [insert current big name], so there's not a whole lot for people to chew on and regurgitate and re-chew.

This sort of inertia is tough to overcome without spending a lot on marketing (or maybe it's not that much? How much are Facebook ads?) or creating another reason to pull people here. Other than publishing a price guide that revolutionizes the hobby, or becoming one of the largest wax dealers on the web, the other possibility is that old web traffic standby, generating original content. I know you ask for volunteers for curating the Hot List, but how about just diving in and doing it? Even if it's not strictly accurate. And there used to be collector interviews, and a product review or blog post here and there, but there needs to be a reason to pull eyeballs here. Even doing something like BlowoutBuzz, where you just copy the card companies' press releases. I often think about starting a hobby blog for myself, but somehow I get two paragraphs in and just space out. But somewhere there must be at least a couple people who have thoughts and can regularly transcribe them.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
i may be waaaaaay off base with this , but one thing i will say is that 95% of the posts i see by johnryno are exactly the type of off-putting , offensive , and highly inappropriate sort of content that will not ATTRACT potential new members but actually drive them (as well as some current members) away....

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
i may be waaaaaay off base with this , but one thing i will say is that 95% of the posts i see by johnryno are exactly the type of off-putting , offensive , and highly inappropriate sort of content that will not ATTRACT potential new members but actually drive them (as well as some current members) away....
082707d461ce3e4ed5c5fda974bdca89.jpg

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
To me, it seems the upcoming National is the best place to meet like minded people (sadly, I am not going). Can the members going do some type of promotion? Even if it is just handing out business cards for the forum to the people they meet to help promote the forum.

FCB...where serious collectors come to have fun.

Let's get the word out.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I think it'd be cool and draw people here to have a once a month virtual sports memorabilia/card show sale. Everyone's always saying how there's no shows to go to anymore. Bring back shows but in 21st century style....on-line. Might want it to be able to be viewed on mobile devices as well, if possible, for people who aren't at home the hours of the sale. I'd set up a thread for it.

Also, having a small booth at the major shows across the country handing out business cards for the site is a good idea. There's big shows 2-3 times a year in Chicago at the Rosemont, the National, Tristar shows in Texas, Chantilly shows out east, probably something in Cali that I'm not aware of.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I think it'd be cool and draw people here to have a once a month virtual sports memorabilia/card show sale. Everyone's always saying how there's no shows to go to anymore. Bring back shows but in 21st century style....on-line. Might want it to be able to be viewed on mobile devices as well, if possible, for people who aren't at home the hours of the sale. I'd set up a thread for it.

Also, having a small booth at the major shows across the country handing out business cards for the site is a good idea. There's big shows 2-3 times a year in Chicago at the Rosemont, the National, Tristar shows in Texas, Chantilly shows out east, probably something in Cali that I'm not aware of.

I think this would be great!
[MENTION=2002]Topnotchsy[/MENTION]

Latest posts