Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ride the Tide MLB Stock Market Game

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Welcome to my latest contest.

In order to proceed, we will need between 10-25 to play.

If interested, you must PM your portfolio to me before July 19th. No exceptions!

HOW TO PLAY

1. Each contestant is given 1,000,000 credits to build a portfolio of up to 8 position players and/or 4 starting pitchers.

2. Each hitter has a market value equal to 10x their 1st half OPS. Example: a 1.120 OPS equals a market price of 11.20

3. Each pitcher has a market value equal to their 1st half K/9 rate. Example: a 9.77 K/9 rate equals a market price of 9.77

4. Contestants may buy as many shares of each player as they want at their current 1st half market value, so long as they do not exceed 1,000,000 gross credits (shares x market price). Any unused credits are held in their portfolio as "cash".

5. A commission is charged for each purchase or sale. There is also a liquidation fee assessed at the end of the game. See below for details.

6. As the 2nd half of the season progresses (July 19 - Sept 29), a player's market price will rise and fall based on their 2nd half OPS or K/9 rate compared to the 1st half rate they purchased shares of that player.

7. Contestants are allowed to make up to 6 trades from July 19th - September 29th. Please see the buying/selling sections below for details.

8. The contestant whose portfolio realizes the highest net gain (net balance + cash) at the end of the season wins a yet to be determined, but worthy prize.

OPENING YOUR PORTFOLIO

Please copy/paste the order form template at the bottom of this post when sending me a PM to open your portfolio. This template is required for each trade you make.

1. The inital player exchange will be open from July 8th-18th. During this time, please go to each of the links below to select the players you would like to buy.

Once you find a player you want to buy, you may lock in their price by placing an order. Any losses or gains will be compared to your locked in price throughout the 2nd half of the season.

2. Each player's market value is based on either their 1st half OPS or K/9 rate. The initial player exchange links have been pre-set to include only those players with 100 plate appearances or 80 innings pitched. If you visit another site with a sortable stats feature, please remember that any player below these minimums will not be accepted.

Subsequent trades have the same minimum 1st half requirement of 100 PA or 80 IP. Be sure to confirm that any future players you purchase meet this requirement.

3. Again, you do not have to fill all 12 positions, but you cannot exceed 1,000,000 gross credits at any one time, and you may not hold more than one hitter at the same position or more than 4 pitchers at any one time.

4. Once you have determined which players you would like to buy and how many shares you'd like of each, you have to pay a purchase commission for that trade. The purchase commission is equal to 10% of the winning percentage of the team he plays on.

For example, you choose Justin Upton of the Atlanta Braves. If the Braves winning percentage at the All-Star break is .595 (59.5%), that means you pay a 5.95% commission for adding Justin Upton to your portfolio. This commission is deducted from the gross value of this trade (number of shares x market price).

SELLING PLAYERS

1. Although this game is tailored to strongly encourage a "buy & hold" strategy, you may make up to 6 trades during the course of the game.

NOTE: A "trade" constitutes a single buy or sell. Therefore, a 2 sided trade (selling one player to make room for buying another) equals 2 trades.

2. Trades may be executed at any time. As the portfolio manager, you must copy/paste the order form provided at the bottom of this post and send a PM to me for execution.

Partial trades are not permitted. 100% of your holdings for a player must be sold before you can replace him with another player at the same primary position.

3. The net value of the player you are selling will be deposited in your "cash balance" prior to buying shares of your replacing player.

Net Value = current market price x shares sold - sales commission

Please remember that the only funds you have at your disposal to purchase a new player is what you have in your cash account. No margins or leveraging in this game!

4. To encourage the "buy & hold" strategy, an aggressive sales commission scale has been established. See the next section for details.

5. To determine the sales commission you will have to pay to sell a player, refer to the chart below. Simply find the date you are selling a player and read across the table to find the commission owed for that sale.

6. The only way to avoid paying any sales commission is to hold a player for the duration of this contest.

BUYING PLAYERS

1. Buying shares of a new player to replace your old one is very easy. When you send me a PM to execute a trade, simply copy/paste the order form in your PM to me for execution.

Please ensure that any newly purchased players meet the 1st half minimum requirement of 100 PA or 80 IP.

Please ensure that you have enough funds available in your account to execute the trade. This includes factoring in any proceeds received minus commission charged for the sale of your old player.

2. Similar to the initial trades you made to open your portfolio, the market price you purchase a new player at will be equal to either 10x his current 2nd half OPS or his K/9 rate, minus the current purchase commission. Remember, the purchase commission is equal to 10% of the current winning percentage of that player's team.

GAINS/LOSSES

The formula for calculating a player's gains or losses is a bit different than simply comparing the buy/sell price x the number of shares owned.

For this game, I wanted to increase the risk/reward factor for higher priced players.

For instance, if someone locks in Chris Davis at 11.20 (1.120 OPS), not only are they getting fewer shares than a lower priced player for the same investment, but any gains from Davis exceeding that OPS rate over the 2nd half is probably negligible. I mean, how high can he possibly go? A lower priced player would have more room to move up.

To correct for this, I will calculate gains/losses this way:

(sell price - buy price) x (buy price) x (shares)

Continuing with the Chris Davis example, consider this example:

You buy 100 shares of Chris Davis at 11.20 (1.120 OPS). Suppose you decide to sell him when his OPS is 1.220 (12.20 market price.

So,

(12.20 sell price - 11.20 buy price) x (11.20 buy price) x (100 shares)

1.00 x 11.20 per share x 100 shares = $1,120 gross profit

Depending on the day you sold him, you would deduct the appropriate sales commission from your these proceeds.

Basically, this formula rewards a portfolio manager who has taken more risk by buying higher priced players than those who play it safe with a lower priced player. Of course, they are also more heavily penalized if their player's performance drops. Make sense?

COMMISSION TABLES

Commission Table

LIQUIDATION

At the end of the regular season, each contestant must liquidate their portfolio into cash. There is a separate commission table found in the section above. Simply look up the date you purchased each of your current holdings to find the liquidation commission owed.

SAMPLE PORTFOLIO

Here is a sample opening portfolio to give you an idea of how things are laid out. I will post periodic updates (either monthly or semi-monthly) to everyone's portfolio, but you are encouraged to track your own performance. Simply refer to the regular player exchange links below to to track the current market price for each of your players.

Sample Portfolio

INITIAL PLAYER EXCHANGE (VALID JULY 8-18)

Catcher
1st Base
2nd Base
3rd Base
Shortstop
Leftfield
Centerfield
Rightfield
Starting Pitcher

REGULAR PLAYER EXCHANGE (VALID JULY 19-SEP 28)
*Don't forget to confirm that a newly purchased player meets the minimum 1st half requirement of 100 PA or 80 IP*

Catcher
1st Base
2nd Base
3rd Base
Shortstop
Leftfield
Centerfield
Rightfield
Starting Pitcher

ORDER FORM

For each trade, please copy/paste this template in your PM. Trades will be executed the date of your PM. In the unlikely event I can't enter it before the next game ends, I strongly recommend that you document all relevant info. That way, if I have to ask you for it, there's no uncertainty.

Date:
Initial/Buy/Sell:
Name:
Position:
Team:
Shares:
Current OPS or K/9 rate:
Purchase Commission:
(10% of the current winning percentage of the player's team)

STRATEGIES

Truly endless: Bet the farm on Puig. Spread the wealth like my sample portfolio. Look for a couple of guys who are grossly underperforming. Buy & Hold is my mantra....unless one or more are hemorrhaging horridness. It's your portfolio. Enjoy!

PORTFOLIOS

http://www.freewebs.com/cjedmonton/Stock/portfolios.jpg

http://www.freewebs.com/cjedmonton/Stock/Stock.xls

REAL TIME 2ND HALF MARKET PRICE

Hitters

Pitchers

To calculate your gains/losses for selling a player:

(Sell Price x Net Shares) - Commission = Proceeds (goes into your cash account)

Your Total Net Holdings are then decreased by the Initial Net Holdings for that player

Initial Net Holdings - Proceeds = Gain/Loss for that trade

I'm sure there will be some questions, but once you build your portfolio, it really is as simple as tracking your player's performance throughout the 2nd half. Check it daily/weekly/monthly, or just set it and forget it. Your choice. I'll track everything in a spreadsheet and will post periodic updates.

Thanks for the interest,
Chris

Last edited:

djrulz

Aug 7, 2008
Jamestown
Ride the Tide MLB Stock Market Game: Signup Thread (Closes July 18th)

I'm in. Gonna be interesting.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Okay, the winner of this game will have the choice of receiving:

1. A gift related to the player with the highest % gain in their portfolio

2. A gift related to their favorite team

Please indicate your preference when you submit your portfolio.

Johnny G

Sep 29, 2008
Jersey Shore
I think I have players picked. Now just spreading shares. So we need to send a complete portfolio with math and order form per player, correct?

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
I think I have players picked. Now just spreading shares. So we need to send a complete portfolio with math and order form per player, correct?

Great! No need to submit the math with your order form. I assume you've made sure you have credits to purchase your players. Please include one order form per player. Thanks.

Johnny G

Sep 29, 2008
Jersey Shore
Great! No need to submit the math with your order form. I assume you've made sure you have credits to purchase your players. Please include one order form per player. Thanks.
I will send Saturday morning. Two players are bothering me, and I'm going to do more homework. It will definitely be in by cut off date.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Please remember to include your prize preference with your portfolio submission.

- prize related to the player with the highest % gain in your final portfolio
- prize related to your favorite team

Last edited:

Members online